Clyde Season 23/24

47 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Wonder the last player we actually shelled out some money for???

only one I can think of is Billy Reid who we bought in the 80s(?) for about £35k (that would be equivalent to us  spending about £100k today)

Remember he got injured early on and was out for about a year and wasn’t the same player when he came back as he was with QotS

I remember us paying money for Alan MacKenzie from Raith Rovers about 1994 - for some reason £20k sticks in my mind, but that can’t be right?

10 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Not a chance in hell, he has a full time job with them out with the first team.

Fair enough, but my point still stands.  Having like ourselves had the Duffy Experience, Clyde would be well advised to avoid the Hughes, McCall type manager and instead look for someone on the up.

55 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fair enough, but my point still stands.  Having like ourselves had the Duffy Experience, Clyde would be well advised to avoid the Hughes, McCall type manager and instead look for someone on the up.

We should have at least had a chat with Gordon Moffat or *gulp* Mick Kennedy (or similar) in the summer. I'm aware EK and probably even Clydebank with that in mind would be blowing us out the water financially currently, but at least maybe we could have tried to look interested in bringing in someone on the up.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the board didn't even look at external candidates though, given who ended up in charge.

21 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Can hardly see JR giving up his gig at Newcastle to assist BMcL. 

I couldnt even see him giving up his Newcastle job to be the manager.

Fair doo's, hadn't realised he had his interim position made permanent, however still worth asking for advice in our precarious position, I'd take any loanee from their academy (I know that this would be unrealistic in their position!!..)

ffs give us something tangible/credible to hold onto and some belief that we can progress, sitting bottom of the league at this early stage is draining and no wonder the fans are so fecking frustrated/irritated with the lack of progression/communication/vision from top to bottom. If there is anything to announce then I suggest that this is done relatively soon as I can understand the talk of revolt amongst the dwindling loyal support, no team has bounced back from the Lowland leagues since the system was introduced, seems that the panic button is being pressed all over the place at the eleventh hour, however I may be wrong as the cunning plan may soon emerge!!.... not so long ago talk of top 10 in 10, and more recently progression from the 1st division?

Will be there on Sat though and witness the product on the park for myself, not expecting too many surprises, however.................

30 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Amazing how many times Gordon Moffat has been mentioned since they beat us. Clydebank don’t even get close to winning that league so why would we go for him. 

I think saying that because they haven’t won the league he wouldn’t be suitable is a bit reductive no?

Are there many managers with multiple league winners medals that have successful squads looking to join a Clyde in free fall to the lowland league?

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Amazing how many times Gordon Moffat has been mentioned since they beat us. Clydebank don’t even get close to winning that league so why would we go for him. 

Mad thing to say this. Since when does mentioning a manager mean 'Give him the job now'?. Why shouldn't we be talking to him? Isn't someone like Moffat more qualified to lead us than Brian McLean?

That league is competitive - Pollok, Darvel, Talbot, Beith etc - and Clydebank are normally there or thereabouts, as well as being able to stand up to SPFL sides in individual cup ties. From the outside Moffat speaks well and seems to put together decent squads every season in, as I said, a really competitive environment. So what would be the issue in just approaching him for a chat? Again, as I said it's fairly clear that with our previous two managerial appointments we never even attempted to look at external candidates.

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Mad thing to say this. Since when does mentioning a manager mean 'Give him the job now'?. Why shouldn't we be talking to him? Isn't someone like Moffat more qualified to lead us than Brian McLean?

That league is competitive - Pollok, Darvel, Talbot, Beith etc - and Clydebank are normally there or thereabouts, as well as being able to stand up to SPFL sides in individual cup ties. From the outside Moffat speaks well and seems to put together decent squads every season in, as I said, a really competitive environment. So what would be the issue in just approaching him for a chat? Again, as I said it's fairly clear that with our previous two managerial appointments we never even attempted to look at external candidates.

If you’re not talking to him about giving him the job, then what are you talking to him about?

57 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Do you mean once the decision on Crown Point is announced?

What I'm trying to get to is that until there is some stability at the club - or pointing in that direction - we'll remain an unattractive proposition for a decent manager - does that make sense?

35 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

If you’re not talking to him about giving him the job, then what are you talking to him about?

Ok, so it looks like I'm going to have to take this back to basics.

What I'm proposing is, as wild as it may seem to Clyde FC or those associated, an "interview process". You don't often just get given jobs. If we approached Clydebank and they gave us permission to speak to him, we could see where we sit and if the collective visions align, perhaps make something happen. At the same time, we could sit down with Moffat and realise he's a helmet and not give him the job.

32 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Ok, so it looks like I'm going to have to take this back to basics.

What I'm proposing is, as wild as it may seem to Clyde FC or those associated, an "interview process". You don't often just get given jobs. If we approached Clydebank and they gave us permission to speak to him, we could see where we sit and if the collective visions align, perhaps make something happen. At the same time, we could sit down with Moffat and realise he's a helmet and not give him the job.

Aye but no but aye....are you as experienced in recruiting football managers as you purport to be?

Any target of course would have to go through due process, so your idea of talking with someone is really that process, and talking to someone is surely futile unless you have an idea they may be ultimately declined or offered the role.

Or have I got that wrong and am struggling to understand your kind attempt at explaining the basics to idiots like me?

27 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Aye but no but aye....are you as experienced in recruiting football managers as you purport to be?

Any target of course would have to go through due process, so your idea of talking with someone is really that process, and talking to someone is surely futile unless you have an idea they may be ultimately declined or offered the role.

Or have I got that wrong and am struggling to understand your kind attempt at explaining the basics to idiots like me?

So, for a start - SLClyde isn't gonna shag ye.

Secondly, yes - in 2015 I was playing for Broxburn (briefly) and a bigger junior team from the West approached our manager, Max Christie (we never found out who). The club granted permission for the two parties to speak and the team that made the approach ultimately walked away, we were told mainly due to logistics. Whilst this is the only time it happened to me, I have friends also involved in football where this has happened to their teams too. I can't imagine it's *that* common, but it does happen.

Thirdly - I'm in no way suggesting that a manager just be given the Clyde job. If Clyde had an idea that they wanted to potentially speak to the current manager of any club, Moffat or not, they could approach them, interview them (whilst also interviewing other candidates) and not offer the job.

I'm not entirely sure what the confusion is here. 

Edited by Brian Carrigan
detail

29 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

So, for a start - SLClyde isn't gonna shag ye.

Secondly, yes - in 2015 I was playing for Broxburn (briefly) and a bigger junior team from the West approached our manager, Max Christie (we never found out who). The club granted permission for the two parties to speak and the team that made the approach ultimately walked away, we were told mainly due to logistics. Whilst this is the only time it happened to me, I have friends also involved in football where this has happened to their teams too. I can't imagine it's *that* common, but it does happen.

Thirdly - I'm in no way suggesting that a manager just be given the Clyde job. If Clyde had an idea that they wanted to potentially speak to the current manager of any club, Moffat or not, they could approach them, interview them (whilst also interviewing other candidates) and not offer the job.

I'm not entirely sure what the confusion is here. 

So, for a start - SLClyde isn't gonna shag ye. (How lovely of you to say)

Secondly, yes - in 2015 I was playing for Broxburn (briefly) and a bigger junior team from the West approached our manager, Max Christie (we never found out who). The club granted permission for the two parties to speak and the team that made the approach ultimately walked away, we were told mainly due to logistics. Whilst this is the only time it happened to me, I have friends also involved in football where this has happened to their teams too. I can't imagine it's *that* common, but it does happen. (ahhh so all your knowledge comes from that level of football. Did you get on as sub a few times? :))

Thirdly - I'm in no way suggesting that a manager just be given the Clyde job. If Clyde had an idea that they wanted to potentially speak to the current manager of any club, Moffat or not, they could approach them, interview them (whilst also interviewing other candidates) and not offer the job. (Thanks for clearing that up so articulately)

I'm not entirely sure what the confusion is here. (what confusion, I'm confused)

McLean might do a good job with a squad which has footballers in it. I'd argue even the best managers would struggle with this rabble.

Let's remember what he's working with at the moment. A right back who has no tactical awareness, centre mids who pull out of tackles and can't make 5 yard passes and forwards who could maybe combine for 3 goals in the whole season.