Stirling Albion Season 23/24 Onwards Thread

11 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I've not been in since Colin Rowley left in October/November last year, however assuming not much has changed with regards to the quality of food etc etc and with absolutely no bias at all, I can honestly say you will struggle to find better, genuinely mean that. I have done hospitality at various clubs across the country (although i've not done Falkirk yet) and in comparison you just can't fault ours and in some aspects ours is better.

My old manager now goes with his pals at least once a season, they're all Rangers season ticket holders, and have done for a few years now and I have a couple of non-Stirling supporting friends who always ask when we are doing it again, I think that speaks volumes to those involved.

Cheers for that 💪🏼

'Dale Hilson has looked a handful for defenders in all of the pre season highlights so far, I see another assist for him yesterday - he should be a good option for us. Lots of youngsters involved last night which was good to see, although defending for the Rovers goal was absymal. A few chances to clear the ball before being crossed to a lad in acres of space.

I have noticed a number of our goals in pre season and attacking play has come from wide. I wonder if that's been a conscious decision to improve and work on that part of our game.

Seems like we will be missing a couple of players at the weekend who are still on holiday.

Thought that about Dale Hilson as well, have been very impressed with what you can see of him in the goals videos on YouTube and what I watched against Arbroath on Saturday, let's hope it's a sign of things to come.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Seems like we will be missing a couple of players at the weekend who are still on holiday.

Seems like it, with Darren Young pointing out that Ross McGeachie is the only one back. That's Part Time football I suppose and one of those things, I do have concerns about Ross Davidson though, missed last pre-season and a large chunk of the start of last season through injury. When he came into the side, I think it would be fair to say his performances were very up and down, however knowing what he can do from his time at Albion Rovers and what we heard about his time at East Fife, you think to yourself, if he has a good pre-season he could hit the ground running....however I've yet to see his name mentioned in the Twitter updates and what have you. The other is Josh Cooper but from memory he was injured in the opening pre-season game. Obviously trust Darren Young's judgement, but if it is a case that Davidson hasn't had a pre-season then I do wonder what kind of player we will have when he does return. Obviously I could be totally wrong and everything is fine and I have just missed something....it's happened before.

I's say we played very well. Game of 2 halves defo. Unfortunate goal to lose and the it all becomes a lottery with a shoot out. I described it as a 'Didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to get beat'

Onwards I guess

I think a draw was a fair result, however I think we had enough good opportunities in the First Half to have been a couple of goals ahead before Ayr really came into the game. 

Despite Currie having a good double save in the First Half and another good save or two in the Second, I don’t think we ever really looked like conceding, so it was a pity that they managed to pounce on Currie’s error. It was also extremely harsh on a keeper that hasn’t really made too many goal goal scoring errors since joining the club.

If you had offered me a 1-1 draw before the match, I would have obviously have taken it, however I was even more chuffed with the manner in which we got it. Like Arbroath last week, I think we played some cracking football, working the ball through the zones and looking more of a Championship side than Ayr, for large periods of the game.

For me, Blair Hilson was Man of the Match, he was excellent and brings so much energy to the final third of the pitch, with Carrick up there also, those 2 are going to be a real handful and we know that Kieran Moore is no slouch either. At the back, Clark, McLean, Cummins & McGeachie never looked troubled, cleared their lines well and got up to offer support. Pabs strolled it against Amartey and let’s not forget McGeachie’s fantastic strike to bag the goal. Milne was impressive as well, like Hilson, his work rate was excellent and the 2 of them linked well in the First Half and on today’s performance, looks a really good addition to the squad. In the middle, Banner does what Banner does well, it’s his first time stepping up a level obviously, but on the evidence of the 2 Championship sides we have seen him up play so far, he looks like he belongs alongside them. Jack Leitch will have better matches, he was wasteful but we know what he can do and at least he was constantly looking to get on the ball and make things happen, there’s no concerns there, just one of those games for the lad.

So penalties aside, I think it was an afternoon to take a lot of positives from. If we can hit that standard every week in the league, then we’ll be ok. Looking forward to a good test on Tuesday and seeing a team at the levels we’ll be facing from August.

On 10/07/2023 at 18:33, Dumb yatt said:

If Stirling fans were asked.,Come season 25/26 would you like to be underdogs in the championship? You would be killed in the rush.

Here’s hoping Hilson fits into Stirling setup.

Just seen this 

And only replied as didn’t think it was correct. First season we were underdogs absolutely but not in the other 3, last year most had tipped us for a top 4. Feel like we will be unfancied this year after last but I would never say underdogs. No reason to be fearful of any of the other clubs and we’ve got a mid table championship infrastructure in place off the park now. Definitely not plucky underdogs. Big Bird that was the trialist against you has now signed for us and I think we’re also possibly away to sign Hylton so don’t think DC will have any regrets in regards to Hilson 

I wish him and Stirling Albion all the best this year 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

So who was missing from the squad yesterday then?

Jordan McGregor & Ross Davidson  - I assume are the guys still on holiday?

Josh Cooper - injured 

We had 4 youth players on the bench today with only 3 senior players to come back in to the fold. I know Darren Young went with a smaller squad last season so maybe he intends to keep it that way.

Surprised there isn't at least one or two more players signing or coming in on loan to bolster the squad a little bit.

A very good highlights package.

It looked an entertaining game, and played on a lovely grass pitch (sigh). It's impossible to be sure before we get into Sep/Oct but I feel that League 1 is going to be a lot tighter than last year. I think you will give a decent account of yourselves.

All the more impressive then. I particularly liked the fading/blending between the penalty kicks.

I used to go to Annfield quite a bit during the 80s and early 90s. It was usually quite entertaining; there was even a guy who used to take his guitar along!

6 minutes ago, TheWestStand said:

Thank you.

Recently taken over the role with not much experience but trying to produce the best possible 

I didn't realise you were the guy that does the highlights.

Absolutely superb work to have after match interviews and highlights up and done by a Sunday morning. Not sure how regular that will be for the season coming but I'm all for it. 

The overly long intro is skippable (Ben used to do that too) but very impressed with the highlights overall so far since you have taken over. I'm sure it's alot of hard work and time given. It is very much appreciated.

Do you do the after match interviews as well? Can we fire in requests for questions?

2 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Absolutely superb work to have after match interviews and highlights up and done by a Sunday morning. Not sure how regular that will be for the season coming but I'm all for it. 

Hopefully a regular occurrence - pending any out of football circumstances of course 

2 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Can we fire in requests for questions?

Go for it 

48 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

A very good highlights package.

It looked an entertaining game, and played on a lovely grass pitch (sigh). It's impossible to be sure before we get into Sep/Oct but I feel that League 1 is going to be a lot tighter than last year. I think you will give a decent account of yourselves.

We’ve been very very fortunate for years, Ben used to put together fantastic footage of games (although some time a tad too long for my liking) and now @TheWestStand is obviously doing it, and doing another tremendous job, in some aspects he’s taken it up a notch.

Likewise, I didn’t realise you were behind it. Keep up the great work, it is appreciated by so many.

Edited by BB_Bino