Stirling Albion Season 23/24 Onwards Thread

Said it above but I don't want to read too much into the 2 friendlies against lower league opposition but it looks like we have done well, and I'm sure if the scores had been reversed I would be one of the first starting to worry. Yip, we are where we are in the season and we've faced 2 teams we would be expected to do well against but I think the pleasing thing coming from the dressing room is that they are kicking on from last season and everybody is getting an opportunity, including 6 or so of the youngsters. 

I'm sure the test on Saturday will give us a better indication to where we are at the moment and hopefully the cup games will get is better tuned for the season starting.

Yes, early days but probably the kind of pre-season you want. 2 wins against lower opposition to get the legs going, and the squad in place early doors.

Just renewed my season ticket using the link in the email I received and, was sent a QR code which it appears is the season ticket, does this mean the club won't be issuing a card like has been the norm?

If so why the change?

19 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Just renewed my season ticket using the link in the email I received and, was sent a QR code which it appears is the season ticket, does this mean the club won't be issuing a card like has been the norm?

If so why the change?

IMG_4739.jpeg

On 05/07/2023 at 10:37, BB_Bino said:

Said it above but I don't want to read too much into the 2 friendlies against lower league opposition but it looks like we have done well, and I'm sure if the scores had been reversed I would be one of the first starting to worry. Yip, we are where we are in the season and we've faced 2 teams we would be expected to do well against but I think the pleasing thing coming from the dressing room is that they are kicking on from last season and everybody is getting an opportunity, including 6 or so of the youngsters. 

I'm sure the test on Saturday will give us a better indication to where we are at the moment and hopefully the cup games will get is better tuned for the season starting.

Yes, early days but probably the kind of pre-season you want. 2 wins against lower opposition to get the legs going, and the squad in place early doors.

Agree totally. We know nothing except we can blow away weaker opposition, but we did while getting our lads ready for a much tougher test.  Even that test might not prove a hell of a lot  We'll find out what's real and what's speculation when league 1 gets going. At this point I would say I was cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Will there be highlights of tomorrows game? 

I expect us to be absolutely stinking and to field a load of made up players on trial but I’ll probably still be wanting to see the highlights - if there are any 

Unsure about full highlights tbh. Our other two friendlies have had highlights of the goals but that's it.

5 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Unsure about full highlights tbh. Our other two friendlies have had highlights of the goals but that's it.

Well that’s no use I am not sure we will be scoring any of them things you call goals 

Just back from the game, Arbroath won 2-1 however the score line doesn’t reflect the game. Everyone was given a run out (with the exception of Ross Davidson & Josh Cooper who were absent) including the 4 players from the Development Squad.

I thought for large periods of the game, especially the First Half, I thought the football we played was fantastic. At times we over played, but we moved the ball around well and Spence and Hilson were causing problems to the Arbroath Defence and were linking up well. In comparison to the Arbroath number 9, Dick Campbell must have been questioning if he made the right choice. 

When the first set of subs were made, we looked like it was only a matter of time before Arbroath were swept aside, Carrick looked sharp and could have had a double, one of which was a tremendous save by Adams. Then when the second round of subs happened, we seemed to loose our rhythm really, and looked less threatening and an Arbroath trialist rifled the ball in to make it 2-1.

It was nothing more than a pre-season friendly, but I thought Spence, Hilston, Carrick, McLean looked excellent. Some meaty fouls and tackles went in, but it wouldn’t a dirty game, and some linesman abuse was given out by players and fans.

On today’s display, we’ll do ok this season, the players look like they are nearly up to speed. I think Arbroath may have a few alarm bells ringing. I know they are massive underdogs again this season but they didn’t look like a Championship side and Mark Stowe and Trialist 39 aside, looked pretty toothless in attack. 

Looking forward to getting the proper stuff started now, great to be back!

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Just back from the game, Arbroath won 2-1 however the score line doesn’t reflect the game. Everyone was given a run out (with the exception of Ross Davidson & Josh Cooper who were absent) including the 4 players from the Development Squad.

I thought for large periods of the game, especially the First Half, I thought the football we played was fantastic. At times we over played, but we moved the ball around well and Spence and Hilson were causing problems to the Arbroath Defence and were linking up well. In comparison to the Arbroath number 9, Dick Campbell must have been questioning if he made the right choice. 

When the first set of subs were made, we looked like it was only a matter of time before Arbroath were swept aside, Carrick looked sharp and could have had a double, one of which was a tremendous save by Adams. Then when the second round of subs happened, we seemed to loose our rhythm really, and looked less threatening and an Arbroath trialist rifled the ball in to make it 2-1.

It was nothing more than a pre-season friendly, but I thought Spence, Hilston, Carrick, McLean looked excellent. Some meaty fouls and tackles went in, but it wouldn’t a dirty game, and some linesman abuse was given out by players and fans.

On today’s display, we’ll do ok this season, the players look like they are nearly up to speed. I think Arbroath may have a few alarm bells ringing. I know they are massive underdogs again this season but they didn’t look like a Championship side and Mark Stowe and Trialist 39 aside, looked pretty toothless in attack. 

Looking forward to getting the proper stuff started now, great to be back!

It’s a pre season game and come kick off time it’ll be completely different. Not sure we’ve been massive underdogs any season either… Finished 5th, 7th 2nd and 8th, got one of the better keepers and centre half pairings in the league too.

Last season we were solid but struggled to score goals, we drew so many games or lost out on the odd goal in games because of that. We drew 16 games…. 

I really wish we’d kept Hilson over Turan because Turan is absolutely gantin but McIntosh absolutely will be a much bigger goal threat than Hilson would be there is no question of that. If big Jay Bird signs I think we will be fine and in the mix of teams battling it out in the lower half. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

On 07/07/2023 at 19:25, 1320Lichtie said:

Will there be highlights of tomorrows game? 

I expect us to be absolutely stinking and to field a load of made up players on trial but I’ll probably still be wanting to see the highlights - if there are any 

9am tomorrow morning 

On 08/07/2023 at 18:22, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s a pre season game and come kick off time it’ll be completely different. Not sure we’ve been massive underdogs any season either… Finished 5th, 7th 2nd and 8th, got one of the better keepers and centre half pairings in the league too.

There is absolutely no doubt that Arbroath have done fantastic since their promotion into the Championship (and before that under the Campbell's) and they're a example to all Part Time clubs in what can be achieved when you run your club right, on and I'm guessing off the pitch. However in a Championship that's been full of Scotland's  traditional "big clubs" over the past 5 seasons and the resources that Arbroath have, then surely you start every season as underdogs?? As I say, hats off to you, you've done excellent but I'm sure if I speak to anyone at the club, they would tell me that first and foremost staying in the league is an achievement. 

On 08/07/2023 at 18:22, 1320Lichtie said:

Last season we were solid but struggled to score goals, we drew so many games or lost out on the odd goal in games because of that. We drew 16 games…. 

I really wish we’d kept Hilson over Turan because Turan is absolutely gantin but McIntosh absolutely will be a much bigger goal threat than Hilson would be there is no question of that. If big Jay Bird signs I think we will be fine and in the mix of teams battling it out in the lower half. 

If Stirling fans were asked.,Come season 25/26 would you like to be underdogs in the championship? You would be killed in the rush.

Here’s hoping Hilson fits into Stirling setup.

40 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Booked into hospitality at FB in Oct for the league game. Feedback on the hospitality experience from those that have been? TIA.

I've not been in since Colin Rowley left in October/November last year, however assuming not much has changed with regards to the quality of food etc etc and with absolutely no bias at all, I can honestly say you will struggle to find better, genuinely mean that. I have done hospitality at various clubs across the country (although i've not done Falkirk yet) and in comparison you just can't fault ours and in some aspects ours is better.

My old manager now goes with his pals at least once a season, they're all Rangers season ticket holders, and have done for a few years now and I have a couple of non-Stirling supporting friends who always ask when we are doing it again, I think that speaks volumes to those involved.

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Booked into hospitality at FB in Oct for the league game. Feedback on the hospitality experience from those that have been? TIA.

I'm going back a good number of years but I got free hospitality at FB (can't remember why) but gave it to a colleague because it clashed with a FFC fixture and he raved about it, thought it was brilliant! Was a while ago now so may not be up to the same standard?