Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

2 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

so where are we with just under of a quarter of the season to go?

one year ago today, we were beating Bonnyrigg with a last minute winner to take us within 2 points of Dumbarton with a game in hand. it was the first time i thought that we were going to win the league.  we'd had to come from behind and the equaliser came from an unlikely source in an on loan left back without a senior goal to his name. it didn't look like a winner was coming and then Tommo turns it round the corner and Leitch finishes beautifully. you could see that the day that the players believed it too.  Pretty sure Pabs went so mental that he got booked. 

if you'd said to me a year on that we would be 6th in the league one and had just run the unbeaten league leaders close again at Forthbank, i'd probably have taken that. 

Just like last year, there is still work to do to ensure a successful finish to the season but again we are well enough placed with it in our own hands. 

it's a different kind of season and enjoyable in a different way. there is a noticeable difference in quality of opposition. its been pretty much as i expected. i thought we'd have to improve the squad as the season went on and i think that's happened.  it would be hard to argue that the squad isn't of a better standard than last year's. 

now we just need to finish the job and make sure we stay up automatically. based on recent form, i'm cautiously optimistic. 

@WattersIsGod great memories ....young Flynn Duffy net's his 1st goal...Leitchy getting the winner 

Stenny away & DC with another last minute winner 

Last year was just magical...the momentum & belief in the squad was superb 👏 👌 

This season like you said has had it's ups & downs...highlights & heartache.....

highlight this season for me was Montrose away...Callum Crane debut...superb performance, great goal & harshly sent off.... heartache was Annan away 2-1 defeat... just the manner of the 2nd goal we lost... mix up with Blair & Pab's.... didn't make them work for the win,  all part of being a bino .... love football love Stirling Albion 🇵🇪 ⚽

I've mentioned previously, 8 game's left, 1 at a time...we play the top 4 since Falkirk  next & finish up with the bottom 4 lastly..... however i think we need to take some momentum into each & every game,, ok we lost in the end against Falkirk...but the effort was there, Pab's is a fantastic leader & a great example... we don't need to be afraid of anyone,, self belief is a big thing for our team,, work rate & desire will go a long way to ensuring safety.... 

I think that we will be ok with the right application & attitude... have enjoyed the promotion to this level & want more of it next season & hopefully build again... but safety is 1st & foremost starting Saturday watching the team at NDP... C'mon the bino's 🇵🇪

Not for the first time, but you've pretty much nailed it @WattersIsGod, and it I would certainly have taken this season this time last year.

I, like many others, have said time and time again that the aim is simply to stay up this season and the squad have done that. Some may point to the capitulation at Edinburgh City as making it easy for us, but I think we were all confident that would could have achieved the aim despite that.

The additions to the squad this season have been key. Although there's still an element of it, the blood and snot play at the start of the season was only ever going to get us so far, but without that extra bit of quality on the ball, it would probably start to fade away. The signings have given us that quality, from Hilson and Milne in the summer to McPake and Rudi the other week, they've all added to the squad without us losing the steal and the fight and that's been pleasing. Young has also had options, probably something he didn't really have in the League 2 winning squad or at the start of this season. Now when someone just isn't cutting it or has an off day, he can change it....or if we are on top and looking to tire, we can change it and it's great to see. Instead of bringing on a Godwin, we can bring in McPake.....as an example. I know 1 or 2 of these signings will divide opinion and there are long serving players that also divide opinion but that's football, even the worst of those players have improved the squad.

I don't think I have been in any real fear that we can't finish in 8th, at least. The loss to Annan a few weeks ago with them reducing the point tally to 6 was a wee bit nervy, but that aside, I think I have always just had full faith in Darren and this squad. They simply seem to have that togetherness to dig deep and that's invaluable. Sure, we do need to build on that to establish ourselves in the top end but that's fine, we've got the man who can do that.

It's been a fantastic past 12 months I think, my only gripe is probably the fact that the club never really capitalised on the promotion feel good factory and that Home attendances seem to have dropped more than I thought they would. I get that some of last seasons attendance numbers were due to glory seekers looking for a day out, but I do think we would have kept more than we did.

With the last few games to go, how do I feel, definitely confident and definitely excited about the future on the pitch. Still feel we are in a good place..

24 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

It's been a fantastic past 12 months I think, my only gripe is probably the fact that the club never really capitalised on the promotion feel good factory and that Home attendances seem to have dropped more than I thought they would. I get that some of last seasons attendance numbers were due to glory seekers looking for a day out, but I do think we would have kept more than we did.

you've pretty much nailed something that's annoyed me too. it was the 'quietest' title celebration ever. last season proved there were a few more people out there willing to come and watch. i appreciate yeah, there's some glory seekers among them but i think a bigger percentage should be coming more regularly. even simple things like not getting season tickets on sale early while the proverbial iron was hot. 

i was slightly surprised though when i checked the other day but we have the 4th highest average home attendance this season in League One. i don't think its an unreasonable ambition for us to remain at this level at all. 

he's certainly earned it. 

he doesn't half work hard for someone who's made his name as a goalscorer. we really miss his pressing when he isn't available. he spent most of Saturday alternatively pressing two centre halves and i wasn't surprised he looked out on his feet midway through the second half. 

great news. glad that good players continue to want to stay and play here. 

i'm still shuddering from the recent mentions of Dylan Mackin and Akeel Francis. it shows how far we've come. 

17 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

you've pretty much nailed something that's annoyed me too. it was the 'quietest' title celebration ever. last season proved there were a few more people out there willing to come and watch. i appreciate yeah, there's some glory seekers among them but i think a bigger percentage should be coming more regularly. even simple things like not getting season tickets on sale early while the proverbial iron was hot. 

i was slightly surprised though when i checked the other day but we have the 4th highest average home attendance this season in League One. i don't think its an unreasonable ambition for us to remain at this level at all. 

Delighted to read I'm not the only one who thought so. I also saw the attendance chart but I think says more about the teams in League 1 just now rather than exactly where we are. In all the years, I can't remember League 1 being so poorly supported. Take Falkirk out the mix and attendances are pretty grim and away support is extremely bleak. I doubt that will change next season, although Stenny look set to come up and when they're doing well can bring a good support to Forthbank......but Arbroath, possibly Inverness, Peterhead, Spartans.....Queens Park, doubt we'll be seeing games like Saturday next season so we really could be doing with boosting the Home section slightly. I have my own ideas on how that can be done however I just repeat myself over and over and over.

The silence was deafening coming out of the PR department last season, 

Website is so very poor & remains so to this day, unless the kids are throwing flares onto the pitch 😡

Season ticket advertising as mentioned was also very lethargic & no drive behind it to try & boost sales, bring in more support.. 

Although i renewed my season ticket online, i only was able to pick up my debit styled card the week leading up to the opening game..

I know that the SAFC channel is voluntary & must be quite time consuming, but even the post match interviews have fallen off...

I'd like to also hear updates from DY on the nature of injuries etc...I saw the lesser spotted Ross Davidson on Saturday pre game.....I think his season is over, infact he didn't even have a pre-season... IMO someone we have really missed, he has that little bit of composure on the ball in our team... 

I do think that we have carried a decent away following this season, some long journeys too....days like Montrose away 1-0 victory,, Crane debut,scored,sent off 🤣 magic & makes it all worthwhile 

I think Stenny will be a good addition & it's always a great atmosphere, especially away & a full stand...crowd erupts when DC scores last minute winner ⚽️ 

Looks like penguin weather at Gayfield next year in League 1🐧 but i will take that as long as we are part of the Div 1 mix & DY gets more opportunities to enhance the squad, also good bit of business getting DC through to 2026 on contract 

IMO I'd like to see us sign up a decent target man & focal figure up front to help DC & occupying the centre halfs a bit more 

i had thought i'd seen Ross Davidson on Saturday too and then thought i must have imagined it.............

it would be nice if we had updates on the nature on injuries and even rough expected timelines of recovery. Like you, i'd have thought if he hasn't resumed training by now that his season must be over. Until Callum Crane signed, i thought most weeks, there was a Ross Davidson sized hole in our midfield. 

i also checked the away average attendances. Absolutely nothing to write home about but we are actually second only to Falkirk in that stat, indicating the away support has been pretty good by the standards of the division this year. 

interesting idea about the target man type player. might be a useful alternative to have. I for one though have been really enjoying the extra man in midfield recently and at times the football has been a joy to watch.

10 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

i had thought i'd seen Ross Davidson on Saturday too and then thought i must have imagined it.............

it would be nice if we had updates on the nature on injuries and even rough expected timelines of recovery. Like you, i'd have thought if he hasn't resumed training by now that his season must be over. Until Callum Crane signed, i thought most weeks, there was a Ross Davidson sized hole in our midfield. 

i also checked the away average attendances. Absolutely nothing to write home about but we are actually second only to Falkirk in that stat, indicating the away support has been pretty good by the standards of the division this year. 

interesting idea about the target man type player. might be a useful alternative to have. I for one though have been really enjoying the extra man in midfield recently and at times the football has been a joy to watch.

Yes i feel we really missed Ross Davidson at the start of the season, remembering we only had Hilson & Milne as summer signings we didn't have anyone who could step in, Banner could do a job at his best, however it's a bit unfair to compare him to Davidson...Banner has a certain aggression & ariel ability, but not the ball control or passing ability of Davidson.....& again it's OMI 

We also had a few other injuries, chopping & changing didn't help...a few of the guy's were struggling with the step up & formation changes...

We went on an awful run starting with an away defeat at Kelty, a game we were controlling, Josh Cooper got sent off for a wild swipe (which i thought was needless) on the half way line in 1st half & it all changes...we hang on until last 5 minutes before conceding a goal & 1-0 defeat... I also think DY lost a bit of trust in Josh Cooper after that incident 🤔

But it changed for us at the same time ECFC hit troubles....we inherited Callum Crane 😃 although had to wait until January & injury cleared... let Thomo go & bring in young Kieran Offord as another front man...

I thought Crane was going to be our new LB but made his debut in CM against Montrose....& what a debut...it had everything MOM....Great goal...unluckily sent off...3 points....& a 2 game suspension....a game i won't forget in a hurry 

But what it did was show how good he could be for us in CM not just short term but going forward & nailing the position...

I would still like to see Offord get more opportunities & minutes... I think he definitely has something...genuine pace & can be direct & positive in possession...defender's hate playing against pace...not something we have with Hilson 

So the target man is only an optional thought for when we need to change it, chase the game, when we get pushed back we still get that bad habit of just hoofing it & invites pressure back onto us & the midfield 5 get bypassed...

Your right though about the 5 in midfield, i think it's our best shape...McPake coming in is a plus & last couple of games Milne has done better playing inside rather than out wide 

Maybe only change i'd have would be Offord for Hilson WR of the 5 

Just opinions 🤷 

However delighted with the effort,desire & fight the teams showing 👏 Pab's leadership is amazing, set's the tone 👌 this i feel will be what will see us in League 1 next season....enjoying the journey we have being a bino  🇵🇪

53 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

Maybe only change i'd have would be Offord for Hilson WR of the 5 

Just opinions 🤷 

However delighted with the effort,desire & fight the teams showing 👏 Pab's leadership is amazing, set's the tone 👌 this i feel will be what will see us in League 1 next season....enjoying the journey we have being a bino  🇵🇪

i doubt we will see that from the start but i too would be interested to see Offord in that position. i agree about Pabs as well. he's been excellent and i've always felt he made those around him better. 

my only gripe from Saturday was the second set of substitutions. unless Crane was totally out on his feet or carrying a knock, i can't find any justification for taking off our best (arguably only) defensive midfielder and replacing him with a 17 year old loanee who has had only had limited minutes. . Rudi never got to the pace of the game and i thought it was a lot to ask of him. Josh Cooper who also came on at the same time is also at best average defensively. 

the midfield went to pieces after that.

Falkirk pretty much completely took control of the game after that, resulting in pressure that for 10 minutes the back 4 and Blair Currie coped admirably with until the goal finally came. 

the Crane, Leitch, Milne trio in the middle look excellent together.  Milne looks way better inside that out wide. seems far more comfortable.

if there are no injuries, i'd be unsurprised to see the same starting line up against Hamilton as we saw on Saturday and i wouldn't be too displeased with that. 

8 hours ago, Beepee67 said:

IMO I'd like to see us sign up a decent target man & focal figure up front to help DC & occupying the centre halfs a bit more 

Agreed on that and think it is the number one priority. Depending on who stays I think we need to be looking at:

1 x striker (no mullets)

1 x RM/RW

1 x CM hatchet man

1 x RB

1 x Ross Davidson

It’s here and it’s beautiful Binos. Had a blast recording last nights interview with your gaffer. Funnily enough, we indirectly answered nearly all of your questions during the interview, however, don’t worry as we have the others in there as well. After hearing what he had to say, I’ve got to say you’ve got a good yin with Darren, I’ve no doubt after a solid conclusion to this season, the next is going to get even better with Young at the wheel.

it was nearly a 90 minute chat, but I promise you’ll enjoy listening as much as I did chatting to him. Share it around as i’d love nothing more than for all of you to hear your manager in a more laid-back setting, and get to know him a wee bit more. Wish you all the best for the rest of the season, and if I myself have charmed you enough, there’s more good chats coming on the page!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6ZJ5v6nGAHVFcNMo37X8sV?si=mj1ruyN3Q-yB3D4RYvqauw

1 hour ago, SA45 said:

Agreed on that and think it is the number one priority. Depending on who stays I think we need to be looking at:

1 x striker (no mullets)

1 x RM/RW

1 x CM hatchet man

1 x RB

1 x Ross Davidson

Good shout 👏 

If McPake moves on i think we need 2 wide midfielder's/wingers... preferably with pace & can get to the byline 

RB hmmmm yes i think Geach is devoid of pace in this division, plus a few injuries 

Ross Davidson absolutely...been sorely missed...but i think Crane...Davidson...Leitchy just in front of them & 2 new wide men would be good option...or if we go ahead with the target man type we could play Crane wide left, AN Other wide right....Carrick & New non mullet target man up top 

BC working on distribution from feet 🤪 

Who'd be a manager 🤣

21 hours ago, charliewheelen said:

It’s here and it’s beautiful Binos. Had a blast recording last nights interview with your gaffer. Funnily enough, we indirectly answered nearly all of your questions during the interview, however, don’t worry as we have the others in there as well. After hearing what he had to say, I’ve got to say you’ve got a good yin with Darren, I’ve no doubt after a solid conclusion to this season, the next is going to get even better with Young at the wheel.

it was nearly a 90 minute chat, but I promise you’ll enjoy listening as much as I did chatting to him. Share it around as i’d love nothing more than for all of you to hear your manager in a more laid-back setting, and get to know him a wee bit more. Wish you all the best for the rest of the season, and if I myself have charmed you enough, there’s more good chats coming on the page!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6ZJ5v6nGAHVFcNMo37X8sV?si=mj1ruyN3Q-yB3D4RYvqauw

Another excellent interview, a really really good listen and well done to Darren for being so open as well, such an easy guy to chat too.

Interesting that he still has ambitions to manage Full Time (and surprising he’s never had the opportunity too), that he was getting pelters from a section of East Fife supporters and a few interesting points last season (forgot about the Dumbarton Chairman’s remark) along with his playing days…..admired his honesty again talking about his injuries at Dundee and signing for Alloa.

Excellent listen, and as sad as I would be, I really hope Darren can fulfil his ambition and be offered a Full Time job eventually, his a fantastic lower league manager and genuinely one of life’s good guys. Again, well done.

31 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Another excellent interview, a really really good listen and well done to Darren for being so open as well, such an easy guy to chat too.

Interesting that he still has ambitions to manage Full Time (and surprising he’s never had the opportunity too), that he was getting pelters from a section of East Fife supporters and a few interesting points last season (forgot about the Dumbarton Chairman’s remark) along with his playing days…..admired his honesty again talking about his injuries at Dundee and signing for Alloa.

Excellent listen, and as sad as I would be, I really hope Darren can fulfil his ambition and be offered a Full Time job eventually, his a fantastic lower league manager and genuinely one of life’s good guys. Again, well done.

echo all of that. i just finished listening to it myself as well. Even got my question in. 

You got some really interesting stuff there and the 90 minutes absolutely flew by for me. 

i'd be surprised if we get more than another season with Darren Young sadly. i think he's certainly got the ability to be a full time manager and that a good opportunity will come sooner rather than later. 

fantastic work @charliewheelen

Great stuff @charliewheelen.

Well done to those that got their questions read out. I though I might get a mention in the tactics section but alas only Pep & Klopp 😀. So, it looks like 4-1-4-1 (defending) and 4-3-3 (attacking.) Don't worry though Darren, I won't over complicate the tactics board.

I admire his ambition and his vast playing experience will stand him in good stead if he goes FT. Dunfermline perhaps? Obviously if he does well, so do Albion - same with players - and they move on to the next level.

Echoed all the above @charliewheelen 

Great interview & insight into not only DY's career, thoughts, idea's & ambitions, remembering he's doing this as a PT job & still having another job outside of football, you can see & hear is love of the game. His self belief that he can go on & have a crack at FT management... something i dont want to think about at the moment for selfish reasons as I'm loving the impact he's having on my club & the pleasure of following the team, that 3pm buzz never gets boring watching Pab's lead the team out, testament to the job he's doing along with his backroom staff 👏

Ready to go again on Saturday at NDP @SA45 it will be same formation on Saturday...we will be playing 4-5-1 formation 👍

21 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I was saying that to my dad the other night, how open and honest about his situations at clubs without coming across as negative. Maybe it was because we're essentially from the same neck of the woods, but Darren, like all of the other superb guests, was a pleasure to chat with. Very easy talker like you say, and I definitely learned, and laughed, a lot. Most importantly though I'm delighted to let you all get to know your gaffer a wee bit more, bridging the gap one interview at a time eh! Thanks very much for the kind words mate, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

21 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

echo all of that. i just finished listening to it myself as well. Even got my question in. 

You got some really interesting stuff there and the 90 minutes absolutely flew by for me. 

i'd be surprised if we get more than another season with Darren Young sadly. i think he's certainly got the ability to be a full time manager and that a good opportunity will come sooner rather than later. 

fantastic work @charliewheelen

It was a marathon of a chat for me, I've only had one interview go beyond an hour with Stuart Hunter at Bo'ness, but it was worth it. My long suffering Queen's Park supporting pal said he'd have been after Darren to fill Veldman's vacancy, but he's far from complaining with Davidson. Can't say enough good things about your manager, just savour him while you can! I'm delighted you enjoyed it mate, and I hope you'll enjoy any future interviews if that's up your street!

18 hours ago, SA45 said:

Great stuff @charliewheelen.

Well done to those that got their questions read out. I though I might get a mention in the tactics section but alas only Pep & Klopp 😀. So, it looks like 4-1-4-1 (defending) and 4-3-3 (attacking.) Don't worry though Darren, I won't over complicate the tactics board.

I admire his ambition and his vast playing experience will stand him in good stead if he goes FT. Dunfermline perhaps? Obviously if he does well, so do Albion - same with players - and they move on to the next level.

I had lost track of what we had already indirectly covered 😅 I did like his Ebbe Skovdahl tactical chat though, that was eh interesting. Glad you enjoyed it anyway though mate. I do reckon soon enough he'll be up into at least the Championship soon, but I don't envision him pulling a Brendan Rodgers any time soon. Think that's the best way to look at it, if he gets a move it means Stirling have done well as it's a reflection of his work. Just a guy looking to move up the corporate ladder eh. Glad I could help you all get to know the man himself a wee bit better!