Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

The prospect of competitive football again is great.

A new season, clean slate and at least the prospect of some excitement.

I really like both the new kits and it's a while since I thought that.

Gonna be interesting with a younger squad

Was checking up on some of our recent departees and it's good to see some things never change.

All in the first half these :

Jordan mcgregor is substituted because of an injury.

Jack leitch is booked for a bad foul.

And my personal favourite.

Josh Mcpake right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

2 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

Was checking up on some of our recent departees and it's good to see some things never change.

All in the first half these :

Jordan mcgregor is substituted because of an injury.

Jack leitch is booked for a bad foul.

And my personal favourite.

Josh Mcpake right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

Really ???? Your main focus today was on how ex players got on and not how were got on 

24 minutes ago, #GSC said:

Really ???? Your main focus today was on how ex players got on and not how were got on 

Raith a couple of levels above us as you would expect.

Thought we looked reasonably organised considering how much the team had changed.

Ricky waugh showed a wee bit of promise. Could see him being useful at League 2 level. Git a bit if invention about him and very confident.

Harry Wright struggled first half but was marginally better second.

Sula and Denham look an OK partnership. Sula launched a couple of lovely long balls out wide. Could be a useful outlet. Liked both of their comfort on the ball.

Gaston looked solid if a little unwilling to leave his 6 yerd box.

Didn't think Ally Roy did much. Carrick was his usual hard working self but barely saw the  all in the opposition box.

All in all probably about what I expected.

Best free kick I've seen at forthbank in a long while.

Edited 4 hours ago by WattersIsGod

•  

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I see Rudi Molotnikov not only started for Hibs yesterday but got an assist and was one of their best players.

I think he only had about two starts with us.

Never quite worked out for him with us. Hope he continues to improve.

I've got hopes for Ricky Waugh making an impact this season. He was the pick of the new younger players for me yesterday.

I think our first choice keeper / defence should be more than adequate for League 2.  The central partnership looked like it could be solid enough. Decent in the air and both comfortable on the ball. Geeks and Crane both had to work hard yesterday but should have an easier time of it in the league.

Midfield is still a worry with Davidosn out and t being seemingly almost entirely new. Hilson started on the left yesterday and was ok. Harry Wright I thought was better second half and did end up switching to the left.

It was a hard test yesterday and both Harley Ewen and Waigh had a tough time against a decent Raith midfield.

We never got anything going up front at all. Be harsh to judge Roy or Mckinleys sub appearance on yesterday when we really didn't create anything.

Overall I thought we were probably not as bad as I feared we might be.

It was good to be back and I look forward to seeing us against more realistic opposition.

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

I thought the first 2 goals we conceded yesterday were soft. Tap ins at the back post that should have been prevented.

Sure but they're also the result of a lot of pressure. If you are getting outplayed and giving up chances then eventually these mistakes will happen.

I thought they did ok considering the opposition

On 14/07/2024 at 08:08, Quentin Taranbino said:

I see Rudi Molotnikov not only started for Hibs yesterday but got an assist and was one of their best players.

I think he only had about two starts with us.

To be honest, in his starts and sub appearances, I struggled to see how he actually improved the side and did wonder if he was another of those Youth players that were impressive but just couldn’t make the step up. However, for as much as I supported him, I also feel that Darren Young became too loyal to a number of players, of which, a couple probably played in Rudi’s position so maybe he did have more to offer but Darren held him back, I suppose we will never know and I do wish him all the best for the rest of his career and hope he goes on to be a success, but I do have my doubts.

Featherstone came on as a sub on Saturday and played on the right with Harry Wright switching to the left. didn't offer much in his 15 minutes. hard to make any judgement on his qualities yet.

53 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

To be honest, in his starts and sub appearances, I struggled to see how he actually improved the side and did wonder if he was another of those Youth players that were impressive but just couldn’t make the step up. However, for as much as I supported him, I also feel that Darren Young became too loyal to a number of players, of which, a couple probably played in Rudi’s position so maybe he did have more to offer but Darren held him back, I suppose we will never know and I do wish him all the best for the rest of his career and hope he goes on to be a success, but I do have my doubts.

i think he arrived at a bad time. the team was on a bad run and seemed to be suffering a collective loss of confidence. 

i'm not sure that's the best situation for a young, developing player. 

3 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

Featherstone came on as a sub on Saturday and played on the right with Harry Wright switching to the left. didn't offer much in his 15 minutes. hard to make any judgement on his qualities yet.

Hard to judge Featherstone falling over his feet trying to dribble the ball in the box 🙈 🤣

Don't want to be too harsh on the lad... didn't do anything of note, managed a sclaf wide 

It was pretty clear to see that after the 1st 11 the bench was threadbare...as AM said he's hopeful of a few loan signings once the other sqauds cut there numbers... it's fair to assume that we need at least another 5 or so...someone wide left as Hilson can't go past anyone & offered little IMO... Harry Wright did better as mentioned in the 2nd half..but a bit loose on the ball at times, hopefully that will come in time ... Sam Denham was solid 👌 Big Eric Sula had a couple of iffy moments. Nearly got himself injured at end of 1st half by being too slow clearing his lines. .

Harley Ewan looks decent..did ok at QOS too...Ricky Waugh did well given it was short notice. .. Gaston did well with the shovel of sand 🤣🤣 looking good in goals for sure..I thought he was MOM at QOS

Hope Speedy & Ally Roy can gel 🙏  

I'm a bit more optimistic than i was 3 weeks ago....so it's definitely a positive 

1 hour ago, Beepee67 said:

Hard to judge Featherstone falling over his feet trying to dribble the ball in the box 🙈 🤣

i was being kind not mentioning that 🤣

he looked a bit raw shall we say?

I thought we were better than i was expecting and i'm a bit more optimistic than i was a few weeks ago too. 

I wouldn't be overly enthused with Hilson being a full time winger either. 

Getting Davidson and even Milne back would provide some extra more experienced midfield options. first choice defence/keeper should be more than adequate for league 2. 

As well as Featherstone and Howe, we appear to have signed 26 year old midfielder Kyle Scott (former Chelsea youth), who has most recently been in the states. Came on as a sub on Saturday

That's according to our squad list on a couple websites unless they have incorrectly identified him and it's another 17 year old youth with the same name - (like Thomas Reilly the other week)

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

12 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

As well as Featherstone and Howe, we appear to have signed 26 year old midfielder Kyle Scott (former Chelsea youth), who has most recently been in the states. Came on as a sub on Saturday

That's according to our squad list on a couple websites unless they have incorrectly identified him and it's another 17 year old youth with the same name - (like Thomas Reilly the other week)

I was going to mention him. Looks more like 17 than 26 and put himself about like a young Paul Scholes.