Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Think if we manage to get Gabby to resign, then we will have kept everyone that we'd all really hoped we would. Might also still see ATS and Telfer retained but realistically after Gabby, I think it's about bringing in some new players who add quality and experience to the team. 

So far, I think the board and manager have done am amazing job. An excellent start to recruitment and long may it continue. 

3 hours ago, C_GLK said:

Seems like an unpopular opinion on here but I actually quite like the 3rd kit. You have always got to mix it up a bit with a third shirt and I think this is nice enough. Could have been much worse

Joma what are thoughts on them,  personally  not a fan,   not convinced they have much of a leisure range

So now that the squad retention is shaping up well, plus Todorov in, how many more signings do you think we'll need and in what areas? 

Do we need a back up keeper or do we have a good youth coming through? Can't see us relying on Hutts in the Championship. 

For me it'd be a GK, CB, Left back, Another CM and another wide player. 

3 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So now that the squad retention is shaping up well, plus Todorov in, how many more signings do you think we'll need and in what areas? 

Do we need a back up keeper or do we have a good youth coming through? Can't see us relying on Hutts in the Championship. 

For me it'd be a GK, CB, Left back, Another CM and another wide player. 

Pretty much the same for me, if we don't re-sign Telfer i actually think we need 2 CMs , same with CB , to be fair we need someone as good as Fordyce in case the unthinkable happens and he gets Injured. Whether or not there's a player on the market who fits the bill and wants to sign for us is another thing. 

15 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Pretty much the same for me, if we don't re-sign Telfer i actually think we need 2 CMs , same with CB , to be fair we need someone as good as Fordyce in case the unthinkable happens and he gets Injured. Whether or not there's a player on the market who fits the bill and wants to sign for us is another thing. 

Yeah that's the challenge the Rhys and the board have. We've a solid platform now for a championship squad but it does still need a few key signings to give us a real chance to make an impact this season.. I'm confident the board will not want to yoyo straight back down again, but equally have to fit signings within a budget and not stretch ourselves thin financially. 

An interesting few weeks ahead! 

First of all, delighted that Frizz has re-signed. He was a key part of our success last season and if we hadn’t lost him for around 8 weeks, I genuinely think we’d have had a much more comfortable run to the playoffs - may even have pushed Dunfermline further. Excellent bit of business by the club that all should be applauded for. 

I’m also in the camp for Deano being a good, positive re-signing. He won’t start every week, nor should he at this level, but he’s a young player still developing, had a real positive impact in the last quarter of the season, and we need squad depth if we’re going to have a good campaign. For those reasons, and the fact that Rhys is (rightly) keen to develop players, he deserves this shot.

On the kit, I’ll admit to being slightly unsure/underwhelmed to begin with but it is really growing on me. I always struggle at first with ‘left-field’ colour choices (the pink Puma and yellow Umbro kits spring to mind) but if you’re going to have 3, it makes sense to try something different with the 3rd. As I’ve said before, FN and the club have been fantastic in terms of kit/training wear since the partnership began and I have no doubt that’ll continue. They’ve always taken a bit of a different route with the 3rd kits, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise and, although it isn’t as stunning as the ‘Barcelona Diamonds’ revival of a couple of years ago, it’s certainly one of the cleaner/nicer efforts. I’m happy we’re back with Joma too, as they were arguably the best choice for us after Umbro.

As for what we need next player-wise, hoping Gabby is confirmed this weekend and would agree with others about ATS/Telfer re-signing, primarily for the aforementioned squad depth point. Assuming that all happens, we have a squad of 16 - I’d say we still then need a GK, LB, CB x2, CM, ST and we’re looking healthy!

As others have noted, a huge well done to all at the club for all the great work so far - very exciting times to be a Diamond!

The retention of players has gone well to date but I wouldn't be fussed about Telfer resigning despite him being a "proven" championship player. I would have preferred him over McMaster but we now need a more physical presence in the midfield area, as well as Kerr McInroy on loan!

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The retention of players has gone well to date but I wouldn't be fussed about Telfer resigning despite him being a "proven" championship player. I would have preferred him over McMaster but we now need a more physical presence in the midfield area, as well as Kerr McInroy on loan!

Very much how I feel regarding Telfer, again if hes going to be the cover on the bench, great, hes proven etc, and I'd probably accept it more if we announced a real good Midfielder FIRST and Telfer signed to be cover then great, hes got that bit of composure to come on and manage a game rather than grab it by the scruff of the neck and make something happen, all IMO of course!

I'd say a CB and a solid CM are an absolute necessity to allow us to compete. Another full-back and a wide player would then be next on the list.

It's great to be able to keep most of the guys from last year but we also can't forget that we scraped by Hamilton, who finished 9th (level on points with the bottom side). We also only got 60 points in League 1, last season Cove got 79, kept virtually the same team and they came straight back down. So it would be foolish for us to think that we just need to keep hold of everyone and we'll be fine. At the moment we're the same side with Smith switched for O'Connor, and the option of Todorov.

For parts of last season our midfield was porous, and that was in a league where we dominated possession. We really need someone in there with a bit more physicality than what we've got. As others have said we've nearly done the first part - keep our better players. The next stage is being able to add real quality that will allow us to compete.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I've just watched the Hamilton 2nd leg highlights again. After Hamilton's 2nd I think Euan Deveney must have realised his time was up given McCabe's reaction to him!

Far too inconsistent, wouldn't have minded him staying if we hadn't went up. No disrespect to the lad but need a better standard of player to compete in the championship.

13 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Far too inconsistent, wouldn't have minded him staying if we hadn't went up. No disrespect to the lad but need a better standard of player to compete in the championship.

He actually was great at the first goal either, never got close to Connor Smith. Yip, really has to work on his defending!

Euan Devenney was a weak link whenever he played. Goals inevitably came from our left hand side, playoff final a great example. I liked him and really wished he had kicked on, however his omission from the starting 11 coincided with us picking up form. Hope he does kick on somewhere as his commitment was never in doubt but he's not one for carrying in the championship. 

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Reminds me a bit of Scott Stewart. Good pace, decent final delivery, but not great going backwards.

Scott has had a good few seasons at Arbroath ,Strong running player and as you say good going forward ,

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Happy for Telfer to remain part of the squad but agreed, even with him returning we'll still need a couple of strong additions in the middle of the park. That holding midfield player is essential and needs to be somebody a bit more defensive and streetwise than more of a footballer type like McCabe and McMaster. Even if they don't play every game, not having that option cost us at times last season and we can't afford to be so open or concede as much of the park when defending this season. Also, still think we'll need another more attacking or box-to-box midfielder. Without one we're essentially relying on either Telfer or one of Aiken or Devenny to play and be good-excellent every week. Which might happen. But Telfer has never been consistently good every week wherever he's played, Aiken is an unknown and Devenny is a good player but still very raw and inexperienced. McInroy would be perfect. Speaking of which, hopefully Aiken is more McInroy than Ben Wylie! That would give us McCabe, Frizzell, Devenny, McMaster, Aiken +Telfer+2 which is a lot but I do think it's needed, unless Aiken does turn out to be a McInroy like masterstroke. There's also the added factor that we don't know how much McCabe will play vs how often he'll want/choose to spend time in the dugout. 

We obviously still need another full-back, sub goalie and another forward. Ideally I'd like another couple of centre-halves but if ATS is also re-signing I'm not sure how likely that will be given Watson will also still be around. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I've just watched the Hamilton 2nd leg highlights again. After Hamilton's 2nd I think Euan Deveney must have realised his time was up given McCabe's reaction to him!

My reaction was largely the same 😂

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

ATS confirmed as player-coach. Seems a very sensible move all round. 

Aye , considering his reputation before coming to us , he didn't really do anything wrong. 

Happy with that 

Gabby and a new away strip please