Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Read from the interview that the team are away to Coleraine tomorrow for pre season training.

@Mr November mentioned that Brighton have a Northern Irish striker Ben Wilson who's out of contract just now.

On the Brighton website it actually says that he was signed from Coleraine so if we're playing 'Consilium Bingo' then I'm taking him on my card.Screenshot_20230701_213934_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64ec47989a494f039d735784665f6495.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Jackie doesn't own Coleraine or have a few players of their players on his books does he,

Well I’m pretty sure both Jay Riley and Alex Henderson came from Coleraine. So quite the conveyor belt of talent they’ve got 😕😂

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Jackie doesn't own Coleraine or have a few players of their players on his books does he,

Listening to the interview,   and I am a massive fan of Rhys,  but you are never too convinced on his transfer policy, all very vague..   This is his third window since being the manager and is recruitment any slicker.

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Listening to the interview,   and I am a massive fan of Rhys,  but you are never too convinced on his transfer policy, all very vague..   This is his third window since being the manager and is recruitment any slicker.

Got us out of of League One after 10 years and has signed up the core of the squad + added Todorov and the two Hibs players who are highly rated.

Give the guy a chance he’s earned the right.

Some Airdrie fans could win the lottery and moan about the handwriting on the cheque.

9 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Got us out of of League One after 10 years and has signed up the core of the squad + added Todorov and the two Hibs players who are highly rated.

Give the guy a chance he’s earned the right.

Some Airdrie fans could win the lottery and moan about the handwriting on the cheque.

Aye and some just go with the flow ,

35 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye and some just go with the flow ,

I'd say we are in a good position especially when you compare it to this time last year when we played in the Lanarkshire cup, it was trialists galore.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I'm not sure what you are meaning by "all very vague". Every manager keeps his targets secret for what I would have thought was obvious reasons.

If he has made a mistake in this transfer window then it has been showing too much loyalty to last seasons players but most probably that would be down to the budget.

38 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm not sure what you are meaning by "all very vague". Every manager keeps his targets secret for what I would have thought was obvious reasons.

If he has made a mistake in this transfer window then it has been showing too much loyalty to last seasons players but most probably that would be down to the budget.

Are you convinced on his transfer policy,  and the management of previous. windows..

That's all is being said, everybody a little defensive,   we cannot afford to be complacent..

All's good though riding 2 teams in the cup and away to a camp on Ireland. , There is not much wrong....

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

I'd say we are in a good position especially when you compare it to this time last year when we played in the Lanarkshire cup, it was trialists galore.

Thought that myself when I saw the Albion team sheet ,

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Are you convinced on his transfer policy,  and the management of previous. windows..

That's all is being said, everybody a little defensive,   we cannot afford to be complacent..

All's good though riding 2 teams in the cup and away to a camp on Ireland. , There is not much wrong....

Transfer policy is the same for all managers in that you try and sign better players but I believe we are in a very difficult market being one of the lowest paid full time clubs therefore as I've said many times money is our biggest issue which is why I believe he retained so many players, in particular Watson & ATS.

Yes, we were extremely low on players at the start of last season and it appeared to be poorly managed but by who? All managers beg their chairmen for more dosh for better players so I sincerely doubt that was the managers doing but at the end of the day he got the job done.

I also read nothing into our games this weekend but I'm fine with the Ireland trip but yes I will be disappointed if we don't add at least 2 defenders who walk into our starting 11 before the season commences.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Our transfer 'policy' as far as I can tell is to use 90% of our budget on a core of 14/15 quality players (within our budget) and use the remaining 10% on cheap squad filler.

The only alternative would be to go for a bigger squad of less quality, which would (and did, for many years) get us nowhere.

Whether it's the top end of League 1 competing against Falkirk, Dunfermline or Cove, or whether it's the Championship, we don't have the budget to have a squad of comparable size with quality throughout that those other teams have. The fact we've competed so well in the last 3 years shows that our policy is working as well any could have with our budget. The only clubs to have finished ahead of us in the last 3 years are Raith, Falkirk, Partick, Cove and Dunfermline, who were all spending far more than us. If you're judging the success of our signings policy as finishing above them then that's extremely harsh.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Our transfer 'policy' as far as I can tell is to use 90% of our budget on a core of 14/15 quality players (within our budget) and use the remaining 10% on cheap squad filler.

The only alternative would be to go for a bigger squad of less quality, which would (and did, for many years) get us nowhere.

Whether it's the top end of League 1 competing against Falkirk, Dunfermline or Cove, or whether it's the Championship, we don't have the budget to have a squad of comparable size with quality throughout that those other teams have. The fact we've competed so well in the last 3 years shows that our policy is working as well any could have with our budget. The only clubs to have finished ahead of us in the last 3 years are Raith, Falkirk, Partick, Cove and Dunfermline, who were all spending far more than us. If you're judging the success of our signings policy as finishing above them then that's extremely harsh.

Now that we're up a level, IMO quality becomes more important than before.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think you are looking too far into this,  I think you would agree we don't want a repeat of the end of August last season, when whatever happened ended up with 16 players for 4 months....    I have no idea on our increased budget this year(is it) but you to shop where your budget lets you..

Todorov won't have signed for schoolboy money,  today it's hard to say impressed with the opposition, but he looks a very decent player for this level as we know playing against us...  He reminded me of probably what we expected from Sal when he first signed, but well documented injuries and other issues curtailed his career...

As I have said already there is not much wrong..  This league we are going into is unforgiving,    bring it on, we are back where we belong and we want to stay there..

A centre half, left back and another winger is a must for me, wouldn’t mind another midfielder in as well. Still aloud to use a few more loans as well so wouldn’t worry now, I’d be slightly worried if we’re heading into the Dunfermline game without any new faces 

I’ve found the best solution to Passionate’s mind-numbing negativity over the past few years is to just press the mute button…

Haven't made the NL Cup games - a 3rd kit, ST and the Lge Cup games this month have all but rooked me - but it seems like it’s been a pretty productive weekend. Everyone has had minutes in the tank, we’ve scored a hatful, conceded nothing and won the games - the opposition doesn’t matter too much at this stage and I’m a firm believer in winning becoming a habit, so that can only benefit us.

I also think it’s a brilliant idea the squad going to Coleraine this week - I think a big part of our success last season was the bond fostered between the players and management, so don’t think we can overstate the importance of that in order to continue to compete/do well and this trip will help with that I think.

I also don’t get the clamour for trialists  - to me, it usually indicates you have nothing on the horizon, are panicking and are taking a look at guys that you know probably aren’t good enough in the hope they’ll surprise you as a result. Whilst I’m sure the odd one will surprise, the former is much more often the case in my view. 

I’m more heartened by the fact we have retained the core of a squad that clearly know each other and play well together - we’re not starting from scratch and as others have said, we’re much further on than this stage last season. It’s also reassuring to hear Rhys say he has targets we’re ‘going after first’, meaning there is a plan.

It’s the same on virtually every thread on this forum but some people do need to chill a wee bit.

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I think you are looking too far into this,  I think you would agree we don't want a repeat of the end of August last season, when whatever happened ended up with 16 players for 4 months....    I have no idea on our increased budget this year(is it) but you to shop where your budget lets you..

Todorov won't have signed for schoolboy money,  today it's hard to say impressed with the opposition, but he looks a very decent player for this level as we know playing against us...  He reminded me of probably what we expected from Sal when he first signed, but well documented injuries and other issues curtailed his career...

As I have said already there is not much wrong..  This league we are going into is unforgiving,    bring it on, we are back where we belong and we want to stay there..

Why? I literally just answered your question. You asked if we were convinced about the signings in the last few windows, those signings have got us out the league, after finishing 2nd the previous 2 years. The signing policy of the club in recent years has been an absolute success based on the hard evidence of results.

You seem to be ignoring that because we had some issues getting a few players in last August, which made literally no difference - we got 11 points from 15 last August, including beating Falkirk 4-0 and drawing away to Dunfermline, with McCabe getting MOTM.

Would I like more players? Obviously. Do we need more players? Obviously. No-one is saying anything otherwise or getting complacent. It's also the 2nd July and we're miles ahead of where we were this time last season, so I don't get the issue at the moment. Rhys and the club will be working their hardest to get the players we need in, there's not much else to it.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever