Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Thought that felt like a cup tie today. Great result. Actually, a great game. Really enjoyed it and think we just about shared it and deserved the win, albeit they had two goals disallowed for offside (rightly) and one near the end I thought had sneaked in. Suppose we had our chances too.

Good to see McGill back- probably vital as McGreggor faded 2nd half although he still offered an out ball for us.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McMaster was outstanding. MOTM for me but also impressed with McGregor and Ballantyne, and despite missing a couple of sitters in the first half, Gallagher had an excellent second half.

I get the feeling that we should enjoy Cammy Ballantyne this season as he will be moving up next summer.

That was tremendous. A good game of football first and foremost but thought we were worth our win in the end. Should really have been up at half-time and, while the first-half was pretty even, I thought we would rue those missed chances. But the second-half Frizzell and McMaster ran the midfield and Thistle didn’t have an answer for our passing/possession game. Gabby made a real impact as soon as he came on. O’Connor has his place but you can see Gabby is just a far better out-ball. Props to McGregor who I thought gave some of the better full-backs in the division some bother today. Gal’s goal was a beaut! Fantastic buildup play, cross from Watson and header from Gal. And thank God because he was needing a goal 😂 praying you caught Watson’s celebration @AirdrieFanTV

That was a huge win today. And huge to come from behind against one of the more fancied teams. Delighted to have our first points on the board. Even more delighted to beat Thistle 😎♦️

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Now a lot of Airdrie fans, me included, were doubting Craig Watson's ability to handle this level. Early days but he's been outstanding!

Watson, McMaster and McGregor have been three of our most impressive players so far this season.

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think it’s pretty clear what we need as well. I’d say we all agree that we need a left back, another wide player, ideally a more physical midfielder and a backup keeper too to avoid my heart rate doubling every time David Hutton starts getting ready to come on. Obviously actually signing these players is a lot easier said than done, and I’m sure the club are working hard to do so, but as you say, it really feels the time to push the boat out slightly for a couple of players who could make the difference (if they exist!).

Disagree on the LB. Hancock can play there and I'd say that position is well and truly Cammy's and he is absolutely smashing it. ♦️

Thought today was actually a really good performance for everyone and I’d give everyone pass marks but for me Ballantyne, ATS, Frizz had outstanding games. Gal was off the boil again in the first half and Ballantyne was clearly frustrated with the non pass at the second chance.  But it was a game of 2 halves for him and finally, it looks like he’s back.  And guess what? We win… 

McMaster looked really good, Rae had a solid game but I got the fear every time he came chasing out his box, Rhys was playing well until the injury and I’m fearful for the outcome of that. Very glad to see the boys remaining composed after losing the gaffer - everyone stuck in.   I think the earlier comment about Dycey is merited, he can be a bit slow on the ball but hopefully he gets used to the better quality and tempo in this league. He has to be careful.   Again, I was concerned with the deep passing and playing out from the back - only took 2 and a half minutes for us to give away possession and get put under pressure early. But overall, I think this worked much better today, particularly in the second half.  We just didn’t seem to be comfortable with it at EEP but today was different.  
 Not converting the early chances and the ref not giving the ‘goal’, I was afraid it was going to be one of those days.  Now we’ve managed to get our first win I’m hopeful the boys get a lot of confidence from this but I’ll be the first one to admit that despite the win, the pen needs to be out asap.  Gabby back but McCabe surely out for a spell - we need strengthening.  

Great win, big 3 points…. Roll on next week 

16 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Now a lot of Airdrie fans, me included, were doubting Craig Watson's ability to handle this level. Early days but he's been outstanding!

I’ll admit, I was one of the fans who had him as a ‘maybe’.  If he stays, then fine but he wont be a regular starter.   Took about 2 weeks to dispel that one 

11 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Disagree on the LB. Hancock can play there and I'd say that position is well and truly Cammy's and he is absolutely smashing it. ♦️

We do need more than five defenders but absolutely, if we do sign one then they certainly won’t start ahead of Watson or Ballantyne with the form they’re in at the moment.

Can’t remember the last time I seen us beat thistle. That was a great performance and the best bit is there’s tons of room for improvement. Gallagher was frustrating with his miss and ignoring the pass in the first half but overall his work rate is brilliant and his header was a peach. Watson’s cross though? Was class. McMaster man of the match for me today. The passing out from the back is heart attack stuff but when it’s done well it’s great to watch. They couldn’t get near the ball for long spells in the 2nd half. Roll on next week. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I was one of them but Watson and Ballantyne have maybe been our two best or at least most consistent players so far this season IMO. They've both come up against Scott Tiffoney, Luke McCowan, Harry Milne, Jack McMillan, Aidan Fitzpatrick and Steven Lawless and largely kept all of them quiet. 

Great win today and good to get some early points on the board, still think we need to stregnthen especially given injuries but if you include the league cup 5 wins out of 6 is a great start to the campaign. Really good to be back in the championship playing teams who we have some old rivalry with and to get a good crown in for a league game. Watched the goals back and Gals reminded me a bit of Steve Cooper. 

For me that was one of the best performances we’ve had under McCabe. Easy to look at the playoff game where we ripped Falkirk apart, or the games against Clyde or Peterhead where we scored for fun, but to come back from a goal down to win in a game against a strong side that almost got promoted to the Premiership last season and after losing a player as important as McCabe to injury is excellent, and to do it while dominating possession is very impressive.

Worth mentioning as well that of the starting 11 only O’Connor wasn’t with us last season and the performance still was elevated to a higher level. It’s still early but Watson, Ballantyne, McGregor, and especially McMaster all look greatly improved this season.

35 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

For me that was one of the best performances we’ve had under McCabe. Easy to look at the playoff game where we ripped Falkirk apart, or the games against Clyde or Peterhead where we scored for fun, but to come back from a goal down to win in a game against a strong side that almost got promoted to the Premiership last season and after losing a player as important as McCabe to injury is excellent, and to do it while dominating possession is very impressive.

Worth mentioning as well that of the starting 11 only O’Connor wasn’t with us last season and the performance still was elevated to a higher level. It’s still early but Watson, Ballantyne, McGregor, and especially McMaster all look greatly improved this season.

The biggest take on yesterday's game for me was the way we came back. Gal's early misses, (1st one is in the sitter category) the ghost goal, McCabe's injury and Thistle's sclaffed opener had me fearing the worst but enormous credit is due for turning that one round so comprehensibly.

The 1st half against Falkirk takes a bit of beating although you could say it's easy when it's all guns blazing but the 2nd half yesterday, after a luck less 1st, is equally impressive if not better. 

22 hours ago, David Fernández said:

When Hutts was getting changed last week I was watching the  game through my fingers, I know it's easier said than done but even a young back up goalie on loan would be a much better option than him.

I definitely think we'll get another defender in but McCabe doesn't seem to think we need another midfielder or a forward despite McGill and Todorov being injured.

I'm not 100% if we are in for him or if he's going to Hamilton but I'd be hoping we'd be in for Connor Smith as Naismith definitely confirmed he'd be sent on loan, even if he was played out wide, he'd certainly be a big upgrade over McGregor or O'Connor.

Would love to see Connor Smith at Airdrie.  For me he was MoM in the playoff ties.

I was worried that for the last 10 mins we would be hemmed in our box with no out ball. McCabe has obviously learned from last season by bringing fresh legs on and Telfer had the energy and experience needed to break up their play and get the ball forward. We still need to get a bit smarter as a few times we should have gone for the corner flag but gave them the ball back too quickly. Hopefully McGill will be back fully fit because he made such a difference being on the park and is that the last time we will see Devenny?