Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Whilst the signs are promising, the 3rd and 4th goals were really poor defensively. ATS positioning not great allowing Murray to get inside and brush him aside and Brophy's winner seemed to come from McMaster not going with the runner leaving Watson exposed with 2 men which ultimately cost us the game.

Perhaps the full highlights might show different for the 4th (ATS might have also been at fault)but we need to brush up on the ugly side of the game as well.

Far more positives than negatives though. The fighting spirit, not giving up after going down 2 goals early on. The movement and chances we are creating. Subs making an impact off the bench etc. 

If we were losing and not creating chances, being pinned in our own half, struggling for possession, I'd be worried. But that's not the case. We've more than held our own in every game we've played this season. That's just superb and promising for the season ahead. 

And we will still add to the squad so should get even better...

♦️

Sometimes in Football you learn a lot more about your team in defeat than you do in victory,    even although we lost in extra time and a potential cash bonanza,  we have showed enough to suggest we are better than an 8th place target, only if we realise our potential and invest in the squad****, time to cut the bungee. Cord and see where this team and management can take us, while they are here (I can see Falkirk failing laughingly yet again, think about it).  My problem is a talented side only on one year deals (Watson aside apparently) ,  Management team on one year deals,  Being in the Championship is where we should be, I do not ever want to darken league 1 again, The Excelsior is buzzing and so it should be, that is what is was built for,   alright costs go up, tell us about it,   but the prize money and additional crowds gate money is substantial and we really shouldn't be scrapping around with 15 or 16 players.. if so all of the above will be irrelevant and all this potential and positivity will disappear and we will end up unfortunately where we started with nothing and a lot of regrets...

The time is now , look up don't look back,   we all know we need a 2nd GK, our style of play means Josh gets caught in areas of the park and he will see red again due to it,  our centre Half's including Hancock are very good on the deck, our Achilles heel is still cross balls and lack of aggression , yesterday we struggled with White all game and at times Graham last week,  so an aggressive siege centre half,  a replacement for Devenney who to be fair hasn't been involved much this season, but is still a major loss,,  heard a few talking about a potential Stanway transfer at the game (Thistle want money for him, surely not).  

We know what we need to take baby steps further in the teams progression,  will we get them,    would you be shocked if I wasn't confident....

At the risk of sounding like a big diva (even more so than usual), I would genuinely be quite disgusted if the club spent money on buying Ben Stanway, a guy who wasn't good enough last season in L1 and certainly won't be good enough this season. If they've got money to burn then get the Weatherspoon offer upped substantially.

ETA spelling

Edited by cb_diamond

I liked Stanway fine but McCabe, McMaster, Devenny, Aiken, Frizzell and Telfer are all considerably better than him IMO. 

Any additions, and especially if money is involved, should be improving or at least supplementing that mix. 

18 hours ago, Mabawsa Ritchie said:

Having a look at the players still available, either on loan or on frees and surprisingly for this time of the season there are still some decent players without clubs or signed up on season long loans. I appreciate McCabe only wants to sign players who fit into/compliments our style of play, however there isn't an endless list of players who will remain available. A couple of injuries and/or suspensions and we are beyond stretched. I'm not suggesting we sign all of them, just highlighting there are still players available that would strengthen the team/squad

Ross Stewart - Keeper freed from Hearts, would provide some much needed cover for Rae

Dylan McGowan - Experienced Centre Half who has experience playing in this division with Killie & Hamilton

Euan East - Versatile Centre Half/Left Back/Striker who has experience playing in this division

Dan O'Reilly - Played very well in the play off final

Brody Patterson - Played well for us previously

Connor Smith - Not the first to highlight him, would more than do us a turn

David Wotherspoon - Provide some strength to the CM position, would free up McCabe to provide back up in defence if/when needed

Lewis Jamieson - Having played last season, he knows and fits into our style and offers another goal threat.

You forgot Charlie Mulgrew

13 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

One new player on the Bench yesterday was Joe Cassidy one of the trailists from the open training session 

17year Old centre half played with st mirren and Queen’s Park looks like he’s mostly for reserves 

No harm to the lad and perhaps he may turn out to be our best signing ever, but just not what the fans want to here.

5 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

If any of the SLO lemmings are reading, I think we need to sign McMaster to a multi year contract. He’ll be worth double the £250k that we’re getting for Devenny.

I’m agreeing with this 100%.  Based on his recent performances and how much he has progressed I’d be in favour of adding a couple of years to his existing contract.  I think this is a lad who will have a lot of interest come the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I’m agreeing with this 100%.  Based on his recent performances and how much he has progressed I’d be in favour of adding a couple of years to his existing contract.  I think this is a lad who will have a lot of interest come the end of the season. 

How does anyone know the contracts players are on as the club very rarely make this info available. Please don't anyone say transfermkrt!

2 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Sound like it’s all one year deals Janny confirmed he was on a two year when he resigned 

I think that's to be expected, the likes of Frizz and McGill do not want to be tied on a 2 year deal should we be relegated. There's a lot of demand from fans to get guys signed up in multiple year deals but the reality is a lot of players don't want that - even if Frizz spent half this season injured he'd still easily get a Championship side next season given his last 2 seasons so there is no benefit in him asking for a 2nd year and risking having to play in League 1 next year, same with Rae, Ballantyne, McGill and probably a few others.

That's why I'm not really in the 'I'd bite your hand off for 8th' camp. If we had guys on multiple year deals I would, but we don't. That doesn't mean I'm expecting higher or that I think we should finish higher, but realistically this is our best chance of a higher finish we'll have for the foreseeable future. Goes without saying that it's preferable to relegation, but what does an 8th placed finish really mean? It would very likely mean our better players moving on and potentially McCabe too, and then having to start again.

I don't really have any expectations because it's such an unpredictable league, I'm just taking it as it comes, but I'm definitely not of the opinion that we should be desperate for 8th as I don't think that's enough to hold on to our better players, or potentially the manager.

Can't see us chucking silly money at Wotherspoon. An older player more susceptible to injury and on a the downward trajectory, albeit a very talented player. He's obviously holding out for more than we can afford and knocking back offers from clubs with more' money to burn' than we will have. 

I'd be surprised if the protracted JD situation hasn't impacted on things a bit, but hopefully that will all be resolved very soon. No doubt the club expected it to be resolved quicker than it has been and. I reckon most of that delay would be out of their hands. But once it's eventually done, we can move on and apply more focus on recruitment again. 

On that note, I'd be very surprised if we don't get some positive signing news in the next week or so. 

4 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Can't see us chucking silly money at Wotherspoon. An older player more susceptible to injury and on a the downward trajectory, albeit a very talented player. He's obviously holding out for more than we can afford and knocking back offers from clubs with more' money to burn' than we will have. 

I'd be surprised if the protracted JD situation hasn't impacted on things a bit, but hopefully that will all be resolved very soon. No doubt the club expected it to be resolved quicker than it has been and. I reckon most of that delay would be out of their hands. But once it's eventually done, we can move on and apply more focus on recruitment again. 

On that note, I'd be very surprised if we don't get some positive signing news in the next week or so. 

Not included on Saturday suggests he in advanced talks with Palace

Justin to Crystal Palace confirmed. 

https://x.com/airdrieoniansfc/status/1693654223676645488?s=46&t=ei9lEQUlqVT6IyVJquw8rQ

What an opportunity for the lad. All the best to him. If nothing else he’ll get to enjoy the benefits of living in London and learning from top class coaches in the best of facilities. 

Now let’s get that transfer fee spent.