Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

37 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

In that your average away crowd (and crowd generally if we're  being honest and you exclude your 4 yearly full houses from the bigot brothers) is roughly equal to or less than probably almost half of the teams we play in the championship (and even Falkirk last year), so therefore despite the fact that there will be slightly more in the home end than usual, the gate split for the cup will mean we will absolutely make more money from the visit of Thistle the following week than we will from the cup game. Thistle will also absolutely bring more fans.

Don't want to seem like I'm splitting hairs mate but we keep the majority of the thistle home game, the st J game is split gate so I'm fairly also confident we'll make more from the thistle game!

On the positive side, it's a team we've not played for a while, it's at home, and it will give us a chance to see how we are against a team mid season in the premier who'll be taking this competition seriously.

Could always have been worse. Morton away.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

On 26/11/2023 at 09:01, Mr November said:

This is probably as exciting a time to follow Airdrie on a good while..

An interesting Scottish Cup tie at home against St Johnstone,  Home to Partick the following week , then into a televised semi final against Raith Rovers,   it certainly beats a Kelty Hearts, Montrose double header....

21 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Don't want to seem like I'm splitting hairs mate but we keep the majority of the thistle home game, the st J game is split gate so I'm fairly also confident we'll make more from the thistle game!

Yeah this was the point I was making, their crowd is not big enough to make it worth our while financially.

A pretty shitty draw as others have mentioned but we have a chance to progress, given our home form.

St Johnstone away in 1990 was one of the first games I remember as a young 7 year old, albeit that was a league match I think.

Weirdly, one of the main things I remember that day was how the goal posts at McDiarmid were big, fat square efforts. Well that and the Stevie Gray wonder strike ♦️

22 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

In that your average away crowd (and crowd generally if we're  being honest and you exclude your 4 yearly full houses from the bigot brothers) is roughly equal to or less than probably almost half of the teams we play in the championship (and even Falkirk last year), so therefore despite the fact that there will be slightly more in the home end than usual, the gate split for the cup will mean we will absolutely make more money from the visit of Thistle the following week than we will from the cup game. Thistle will also absolutely bring more fans.

It’s likely there’ll be more away fans at the cup game than home fans given you struggle to muster even 1,000 supporters every second week. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the visit of a big, glamorous (double cup winning) club to your miserable hovel of a town.

36 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It’s likely there’ll be more away fans at the cup game than home fans given you struggle to muster even 1,000 supporters every second week. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the visit of a big, glamorous (double cup winning) club to your miserable hovel of a town.

I see your hero worship of the Virgin has now translated in a box office-lite version of his posting style. Such a lickspittle 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What are you fermers laddies like eh...  Not much of a rivalry between the sides, not much point trying to generate it one now after all these years,  personally I think it is a decent draw and possibly winnable if we get a rub of the green and a strong unbiased ref, 

hopefully you Make it down,  plenty overpriced steak pies for you on arrival I hope,   

Dunfermline beat Arbroath to go above us into 4th, not a big deal ut was nice to be sitting in the playoff spot. I'm still focussing on staying up and would hope we could stay above 2 out of Morton, Arbroath and QP the way things are headed although things could change quickly if a team hits a poor run of form.

13 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Dunfermline beat Arbroath to go above us into 4th, not a big deal ut was nice to be sitting in the playoff spot. I'm still focussing on staying up and would hope we could stay above 2 out of Morton, Arbroath and QP the way things are headed although things could change quickly if a team hits a poor run of form.

Agree, if people keep beating those 3 (and they draw with each other) then I don't care where we end up. Playoffs would be amazing, but not a real going concern at the moment.

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Agree, if people keep beating those 3 (and they draw with each other) then I don't care where we end up. Playoffs would be amazing, but not a real going concern at the moment.

image.png.581140c333d385f94910bea5c116c017.png

Just a little reminder that despite our last 2 league games being pretty good, we need to start collecting some points! I see no reason why we can't get something from Maryhill on Saturday.

Played really well with a back five in the last two league games then two mixed performances in the cup with a back four since then. I think that first half shows a five is the way forward. A terrible combination of too slow and also wide open in midfield. We don’t have much pace out wide without McGregor so packing the midfield probably the better option.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Played really well with a back five in the last two league games then two mixed performances in the cup with a back four since then. I think that first half shows a five is the way forward. A terrible combination of too slow and also wide open in midfield. We don’t have much pace out wide without McGregor so packing the midfield probably the better option.

We have but most of the league points collected were with 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 formation. The biggest concern is up front, if Gal doesn't perform then we are struggling emphasised by Todorov missing the target in injury time.  

Edited by Kenny_m

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

We have but most of the league points collected were with with 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 formation. The biggest concern is up front, if Gal doesn't perform then we are struggling emphasised by Todorov missing the target in injury time.  

Certainly need someone to be able to take a half chance,think  this league is to much for  a few of our players,

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Forgot about McGregor, i assume he's injured as that's 2 weeks in a row he hasn't been stripped although nothing mentioned about him.

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We have but most of the league points collected were with 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 formation. The biggest concern is up front, if Gal doesn't perform then we are struggling emphasised by Todorov missing the target in injury time.  

That’s fair. Without looking back I’d guess most of those came when Aiken or McGregor were in the team. The latter is far from perfect but I think we struggle playing so expansively without their energy. McCabe kept shouting for Frizzell to get further forward but that left a huge gap in our midfield. I think having the extra man in there allows him to do that while keeping us a lot more composed on the ball. 

Agreed on Todorov. He played well against Dundee United, Raith and Arbroath but I don’t think he offers anywhere near as much as Gallagher. Combine that with Gabby McGill continuing to look like a League One player playing above his level and you can see why we’re struggling a bit in front of goal. 

As you say, we’re not a million miles away from being a good team at this level and we’ve had a better start than I expected. Other than Arbroath away we’ve been competitive in every game and it’s fine margins that have decided things. It’s just frustrating when you have games like today, Inverness away, Ayr at home etc. where you concede an early goal and it then becomes prolonged spells of sideways passing and it being painfully obvious you’re not going to score.