Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Difficult job picking a side when we're struggling results and injuries as borne out by the recent permutations in this thread. It does seem that most want the manager back in the side which I wouldn't disagree with even though we are lacking pace all over the park with our quick/quickish players all injured.

Although Fordyce is beginning to look a bit sluggish, he still is the only defender I see that can win defensive headers, and for that reason alone he's got to play.

3 massive games coming up where we really need at least 4 or 5 points (wouldn't like to lose against Morton), followed by a transfer window where the current injuries will need to be evaluated and possible signings considered.

Big game on Saturday Somerset Park used to be one of the old favourites, hopefully we take a decent following ..

Hopefully Rhys doesn't overthink things, which their is a danger he will,  we have a League 1 team in the championship beginning to get found out (fair comment) we are putting out pretty forward thinking formations, but these formations are possibly outweighing the abilities of the players...   

We need a to find a middle ground, for me at Ayr we need a front two, Toddy up top and Gal dropping off,   with hopefully Frizz in an attacking role with Telfer and McCqbe around him ( injuries permitting). We chop and change our front players really after every game,  we need to give them a run , they won't score on every game no striker does,  a one on Three ratio is decent, you don't get that by playing one week and then ride the pine the next....   We need to find a spark again from somewhere.....

55 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Is there any chance that Rhys isn’t playing to get himself used to standing on the sidelines in preparation for a bigger job?

Are you trying to say he has taken Airdrie as far as he can,  5th place in the Championship.    

That is probably the clubs ceiling so Yes is the answer to your question..

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Big game on Saturday Somerset Park used to be one of the old favourites, hopefully we take a decent following ..

Hopefully Rhys doesn't overthink things, which their is a danger he will,  we have a League 1 team in the championship beginning to get found out (fair comment) we are putting out pretty forward thinking formations, but these formations are possibly outweighing the abilities of the players...   

We need a to find a middle ground, for me at Ayr we need a front two, Toddy up top and Gal dropping off,   with hopefully Frizz in an attacking role with Telfer and McCqbe around him ( injuries permitting). We chop and change our front players really after every game,  we need to give them a run , they won't score on every game no striker does,  a one on Three ratio is decent, you don't get that by playing one week and then ride the pine the next....   We need to find a spark again from somewhere.....

I may be mistaken but I think we've only paired Gallagher & Todorov at Inverness this season so I think it's clear that the manager doesn't fancy that partnership, and they certainly didn't gel that day. A front 2 with no pace wouldn't be for me.

32 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Are you trying to say he has taken Airdrie as far as he can,  5th place in the Championship.    

That is probably the clubs ceiling so Yes is the answer to your question..

In the meantime he can concentrate on trying to get us a win ,

39 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

What job is bigger than the one he has,

Bigger budget & more “exciting” project at Queen’s Park. Playing at Hampden with a new shiny training ground?

Martindale & Kettlewell next in line for their jotters in the Prem, he’ll fancy himself for one of those gigs, surely?

8 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Bigger budget & more “exciting” project at Queen’s Park. Playing at Hampden with a new shiny training ground?

Martindale & Kettlewell next in line for their jotters in the Prem, he’ll fancy himself for one of those gigs, surely?

You think,think they will look for someone with a proven track record,we are hardly setting the Heather on fire the last few weeks,

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I may be mistaken but I think we've only paired Gallagher & Todorov at Inverness this season so I think it's clear that the manager doesn't fancy that partnership, and they certainly didn't gel that day. A front 2 with no pace wouldn't be for me.

Yeah it never worked at all that day. I think it’s fine to chuck them both on if we’re chasing a game and going direct but not from the start. Gallagher is capable of playing a slightly deeper role in a front two and linking play but neither of them can run beyond a defender, definitely need some pace up there if you’re going with a front two.

After that win tonight Morton are now only three points behind us and could move above us if they win their game in hand. I think that shows how tight the bottom five or six is at the moment.

I think over the next couple of months the league will split into a top two, a few play-off chasing teams (Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, maybe Inverness if Wotherspoon stays) and then the rest tightly packed at the bottom. Whatever happens over the next four games won’t necessarily define our season but two or three wins would be huge.

On 12/12/2023 at 21:52, Mr November said:

After that win tonight Morton are now only three points behind us and could move above us if they win their game in hand. I think that shows how tight the bottom five or six is at the moment.

I think over the next couple of months the league will split into a top two, a few play-off chasing teams (Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, maybe Inverness if Wotherspoon stays) and then the rest tightly packed at the bottom. Whatever happens over the next four games won’t necessarily define our season but two or three wins would be huge.

Whilst it is a bit early to be looking at the "other" results, glad to see Ian Murray's mob grab a win at Arbroath last night. Appreciate that it's what we do that counts and we desperately need some wins, but Arbroath's next 5 fixtures look extremely tough and I would be really worried if we can't extend the gap on them by mid January. 

31 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

bit early to be looking at the "other" results

I've already looking at other results @Kenny_mwith Morton picking up form and Inverness playing well under the new manager i'm now seeing Arbroath and QP as the most likely teams to finish above. I do think it will be tight with 4-5 clubs in the bottom half after Christmas, I think we have enough to finish 8th but a few injuries to key players and we really struggle in this league.

Would add i'm sure Arbroath and QP are equally looking at us and thinking we're a team they can catch, really need to get a few wins in the games coming up and avoid defeat to the teams around us, 2 wins and 2 draws would keep our heads abov water, 2 defeats and 2 draws and we're probably bottom of the table.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

I've already looking at other results @Kenny_mwith Morton picking up form and Inverness playing well under the new manager i'm now seeing Arbroath and QP as the most likely teams to finish above. I do think it will be tight with 4-5 clubs in the bottom half after Christmas, I think we have enough to finish 8th but a few injuries to key players and we really struggle in this league.

We have those injuries at the moment, i hope we don't get anymore.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

Would add i'm sure Arbroath and QP are equally looking at us and thinking we're a team they can catch, really need to get a few wins in the games coming up and avoid defeat to the teams around us, 2 wins and 2 draws would keep our heads abov water, 2 defeats and 2 draws and we're probably bottom of the table.

Yip, and I would add Morton & Ayr to that list as well.

On 14/12/2023 at 14:17, Kenny_m said:

We have those injuries at the moment, i hope we don't get anymore.

Pre-match preview for Ayr doesn't offer much hope on the injury front. Obviously Aiken & Ballantyne long term and it seems unlikely Telfer & McGregor will be back as well as the manager himself listed withs a back injury although he never elaborated. Admittedly sometimes he's not accurate or perhaps telling porkies so as not to give the opposition any clues.

Line up tomorrow will be interesting especially trying to stop Chalmers who tore the arse of Mason Hancock at Airdrie earlier in the season.

18 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Pre-match preview for Ayr doesn't offer much hope on the injury front. Obviously Aiken & Ballantyne long term and it seems unlikely Telfer & McGregor will be back as well as the manager himself listed withs a back injury although he never elaborated. Admittedly sometimes he's not accurate or perhaps telling porkies so as not to give the opposition any clues.

Line up tomorrow will be interesting especially trying to stop Chalmers who tore the arse of Mason Hancock at Airdrie earlier in the season.

Be a good guide to which we are heading ,not as if we didn't know we were short on players to play this level ,but in manager we trust ,