Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

22 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Yeah he can’t have played much, if any, football in the best part of a year now. That is a concern but hopefully one he withstands. 

Wonder who went to see him No playing. Big game for taking chances maybe be back up for Hutts,

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Can you shed any light on the boy ,

It's halfway through March, who else could we have realistically signed just now as an emergency signing/back up goalie to Josh Rae?

I know nothing about the boy and its obviously not great that he hasn't played football in over a year, but let's see what he's like.

18 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Just happy to have someone in, not ideal but slim pickings at this stage, better than Hutton anyway.

That's fine then,maybe would be advantage to have a mixed reserve side for situations such as this ,mixed as in the sense of some older players ,

Typed his name into twitter and only good things came up from Rotherham fans. Obviously lack of football could be an issue but he hadn’t played in a year before making his debut against the championship winners and apparently done very well.

Got a good feeling about the boy.

And yes I did say the same about Dean Lyness but I think there is more logic behind my optimism this time round.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Typed his name into twitter and only good things came up from Rotherham fans. Obviously lack of football could be an issue but he hadn’t played in a year before making his debut against the championship winners and apparently done very well.

Got a good feeling about the boy.

And yes I did say the same about Dean Lyness but I think there is more logic behind my optimism this time round.

Worry over,🥵🥵

Obviously no idea what he's like but I hope we don't put too much expectation on him to play out from the back like Rae does, at least initially. We've had good result recently being a bit more direct and whilst those were away on heavy grass pitches I'd hope we'd keep being relatively direct tomorrow until the goalie beds in. I felt that was part of the problem the boy Henderson had last year when he came in, instead of just asking him to focus on standard goalkeeper stuff we had him as a playmaker from the back and it just caused confusion at the back.

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

That win at Dunfermline looking even more important and even more impressive now.

Definitely,and Goodwin has his stamp all over united a bit disjointed last night to say the least,

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Obviously no idea what he's like but I hope we don't put too much expectation on him to play out from the back like Rae does, at least initially. We've had good result recently being a bit more direct and whilst those were away on heavy grass pitches I'd hope we'd keep being relatively direct tomorrow until the goalie beds in. I felt that was part of the problem the boy Henderson had last year when he came in, instead of just asking him to focus on standard goalkeeper stuff we had him as a playmaker from the back and it just caused confusion at the back.

Had a little google about him and some Rotherham fans did suggest his kicking wasn't great so it seems you've made a pertinent point as Rhys's game plan starts with the sweeper keeper! His lack of action has to be of some concern and I would suspect he's basically on trial until the end of the season.

We'll have to wait and see.

Another very important win. If you’d offered any of us the chance of being 8 points ahead of 9th at this stage with a game in hand, never mind having that while sitting 4th, we’d all have jumped at it. 

Bit of a mixed performance today. Like the last few home games we gave away some daft goals but thankfully we were able to get around it. I thought both Megwa and Hancock were uncharacteristically poor for the first half hour but once we changed shape both came into the game. 

On the shape, I thought the 4-1-4-1 didn’t work at all. Todorov was quite isolated and the ball never stuck up top. Lyall, Frizzell, Telfer and McStravick were all fine but got in each others way quite a lot, with the wide players coming inside and taking up similar positions as Telfer and Frizzell. Once we switched back to the diamond we started to click with Lyall, Telfer and McStravick looking really good and as mentioned the full-backs getting forward again. Lyall in particular had his best game yet, a real shame he won’t be available next week.

30 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Didn't make it today, how was the new keeper?

Didn't really have a great deal to do.  Could have done nothing about the first goal.  Would need to see the second again but it seemed like there was some uncertainty about who was dealing with a ball into the back post with the result that nobody did, which may be a consequence of the keeper and defence not knowing each other yet.  I don't recall much else he was called on for that wasn't pretty routine stuff. 

Just now, A Diamond For Me said:

Didn't really have a great deal to do.  Could have done nothing about the first goal.  Would need to see the second again but it seemed like there was some uncertainty about who was dealing with a ball into the back post with the result that nobody did, which may be a consequence of the keeper and defence not knowing each other yet.  I don't recall much else he was called on for that wasn't pretty routine stuff. 

Totally agree, sold short by the defence at the first goal when a ball was played right through the middle of the central defenders and nobody tracked a run.

Second goal I'd also need to see again as it looked like a ball across the face of goal that *someone should have dealt with.

*No idea who though.

10 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

To be fair, to the keeper, he saved us just before the equaliser when one of the many misplaced first half passes by Fordyce was intercepted , crucial save that could have put us 2 down,

As you say Lyall was excellent throughout closely followed by Telfer,  McMaster continues to disappoint, when under pressure he tends to go into his shell and gets very negative and panicky and doesn't offer an out ball ,   when we are up comfortably in games.he.is a different player ,    Rhys rates him highly though...

A very good important 3 points,  last week's point in Inverness looks massive all of a sudden..

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

To be fair, to the keeper, he saved us just before the equaliser when one of the many misplaced first half passes by Fordyce was intercepted , crucial save that could have put us 2 down,

I thought we really missed McCabe today for this season. With Rae out we couldn’t have the keeper as involved at the back and McMaster is a lot more conservative, so you’re left with Fordyce as the main playmaker back there which is never ideal. I’d like to see McCabe back in next week if he’s fit.