Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

50 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's because it was Watson, not Fordyce. Overall I thought Watson was excellent but he'll always give you one dodgy moment a game, it was a needless tackle that probably had an element of playing to the crowd in it. I think if they hadn't scored he'd have been given at least a yellow. McCabe was also asleep when the ball was cut back, we are a better team with him in it but that's where he is exposed - quick runners running off him.

On the goalie, he did what was asked of him, which wasn't very much. It may be that ultimately we 'need better' (although I don't see how anyone has seen enough to tell yet) but the bottom line is there aren't top quality goalies sitting around in March waiting on a contract offer. We need him for the rest of the season so need to do what we can to help him settle in, if that means the defenders taking a bit more responsibility for crosses for the time being I'm fine with that.

I stand corrected,getting to know the team and game  time can only improve the keeper,

Two years ago today we were all absolutely gutted when Fraser Fyvie scored that last minute equaliser for Cove in the 1-1 draw. That’s probably the worst I’ve felt after a game and I really thought we’d missed a big opportunity that season. Funny how things work out.

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Two years ago today we were all absolutely gutted when Fraser Fyvie scored that last minute equaliser for Cove in the 1-1 draw. That’s probably the worst I’ve felt after a game and I really thought we’d missed a big opportunity that season. Funny how things work out.

Would have been interesting had we gone up that season. Would Murray still have moved on? Would Easton? And would the club still have turned to McCabe if Murray had left?

I'd say yes and yes to the first two, not sure about the last one.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Would have been interesting had we gone up that season. Would Murray still have moved on? Would Easton? And would the club still have turned to McCabe if Murray had left?

I'd say yes and yes to the first two, not sure about the last one.

I think Murray and possibly Easton would have stuck around for another year in that scenario. Winning promotion potentially leads to a job with a bigger jump shortly down the line rather than what was a middling Championship team. I think the bulk of that team would have stayed together and finished lower mid table the following season. Enough about them to be competitive but I think they’d lack the organisation that the current team has, as well as Easton being less effective at a higher level in that team.

Think it’s probably fair to say it’s all worked out for the best for everyone involved.

Well it's back to league business and 3 games in week which will define our final league position and a win on Friday would put real pressure on the teams below us. We've been really disappointing against Ayr so far but heartening to see the McGregor, McGill were back on the bench for the cup final and that Lyall & Megwa will be back in contention to start.

Dunfermline are at Arbroath on Saturday and I would expect them to win so they could profit if we again don't turn up at Ayr.

53 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Well it's back to league business and 3 games in week which will define our final league position and a win on Friday would put real pressure on the teams below us. We've been really disappointing against Ayr so far but heartening to see the McGregor, McGill were back on the bench for the cup final and that Lyall & Megwa will be back in contention to start.

Dunfermline are at Arbroath on Saturday and I would expect them to win so they could profit if we again don't turn up at Ayr.

If we needed any reminder to re-focus on the league it's that Accies lost 7-0 after their cup win last season, they then got relegated by 3 points. So their over-celebration arguably cost them their place in the league (although I think GD would have killed them anyway).

A win on Friday would be huge firstly because I think realistically that would be us over the finish line terms of relegation, barring a total collapse from us, and ICT and Ayr going on a big winning run. That would hopefully free us up to have a real go at top 4 with most other teams still playing under real pressure to win the league or avoid relegation.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Seen quite a few teams announcing players signing new deals, would be great to get some players signed up given we can be fairly confident we'll be in this league next season, especially:

McCabe

Fordyce

Telfer

Rae

Hancock

Ballantyne

Frizzel

Todorov

Granted these players might be considering better offers elsewhere or waiting to see what is available to them when the season is finished and McCabe in particular will be on quite a few teams radar but we've had a good season financially and would be good to get some of these players signed up. 

47 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A win on Friday would be huge firstly because I think realistically that would be us over the finish line terms of relegation

If we win Friday I think we're safe, a draw probably enough too. The defeats to Ayr and Morton in te last quarter looked like potentially starting a slide down the table so good to avoid that happening again. No reason why we cant go after 4th now, especially if we can get 6/7 points out of the next 3 games.

4 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Seen quite a few teams announcing players signing new deals, would be great to get some players signed up given we can be fairly confident we'll be in this league next season, especially:

McCabe

Fordyce

Telfer

Rae

Hancock

Ballantyne

Frizzel

Todorov

Granted these players might be considering better offers elsewhere or waiting to see what is available to them when the season is finished and McCabe in particular will be on quite a few teams radar but we've had a good season financially and would be good to get some of these players signed up. 

Much as I would like to see some of those names signed up for next season and beyond I can’t see anything being announced until the end of the season.

I think we’ll still be very cautious and effectively the board need to have 3 potential financial plans in place for next season.

One for relegation(which would really feel like a disaster now despite pre-season expectations), one for another season in the Championship and one for the Promotion dream….

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

I would imagine the usual shite of old firm managers being up for it but surely McCabe should be in for a shout for manager of the year

If we end up 4th then he should easily be championship manager of the year of not the overall award winner

On 27/03/2024 at 20:01, cb_diamond said:

If we end up 4th then he should easily be championship manager of the year of not the overall award winner

In Airdrie eyes most definitely,and taking budget into account,think Rovers will favour Murray if he wins the league although he has spent a awful lot more,

I know it’s been said before but will Raith really be wanting to go up? Is the difference in prize money really worth the increased costs in playing budget, policing, ground enhancements…. Then £190k on VAR and eventually replacing their pitch when they vote to outlaw plastic?

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s been said before but will Raith really be wanting to go up? Is the difference in prize money really worth the increased costs in playing budget, policing, ground enhancements…. Then £190k on VAR and eventually replacing their pitch when they vote to outlaw plastic?

Would think we will be doing really well to establish ourselves as a championship team,personally I will be happy if we do . couldn't ask no more,

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Would think we will be doing really well to establish ourselves as a championship team,personally I will be happy if we do . couldn't ask no more,

Thanks nice but was talking about Raith… we on the other hand should still be delighted with 8th place this season.

Also heard that Raith have a big “unrealistic” bonus due to each player if they go up. Maybe that’s the reason Skybet were offering 4/1 on them to win tomorrow.