Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Really looking forward to the next few games. With Dunfermline and Thistle to play we can finish third. It would be nice to beat Dundee United once they have been crowned champions. But best of all would be beating Queens Park on the final day to drop them into 9th place and subsequent relegation.

Ballantyne coming in to the back three has given us much better balance and getting your best players onto the park and not sitting on the bench is a positive gain. Janny is great at bursting forward and now can do that without leaving a hole behind him and Ballantyne and Hancock will only get better wreaking havoc together on the left.

McGill has been creating havoc and I think he is the difference that has resulted in goals over the last few games. I just feel that Todorov is not in the game as much and would like to see Gal given a run as his link up play suits the way we are playing now.

Nice to hear that Lewis was working on his weaker side and had the confidence to take the shot on the run with his weak foot. McCabe just knows what to do and make his young players better.

On 02/04/2024 at 23:59, Mr November said:

Enjoyed that tonight. I’ve missed Tannadice and East End Park as I was away so nice to finally see one of our Tuesday night away wins. The good news for everyone else is I’ll miss the next three games, hopefully we have a similarly good unbeaten run then.

Happy for people to crowdfund a trip away for me next month if this is what happens.

Looks like it is pretty much nailed on for the play offs now.

Fancy our chances to have a decent run in it with having Raiths number over them and a pretty even head to head record with them.

We also ran Ross County close and have beaten St Johnstone so we can dare to dream 😂.

Much the better team today and but for some good saves, and Todororov being a bit slow to shoot, we could have relaxed much earlier.

Great shot by Dean and what a birthday present. Thought McGill was excellent the whole game and although they equalised I always felt the better football from us would win out. But I was so relieved to come back so quickly and also thanks to Hemfrey for that last minute save. 

Convinced it was a foul and penalty on McGregor but it was a good game to watch despite a pretty duff referee.

On to the Maryhill luvvies. Although a draw guarantees both of us the playoffs wouldn't it just be nice to win there! 

That back 3/5 has looked excellent in recent weeks from an attacking point of view and the difference today was noticeable immediately after Ballantyne went off. We barely saw Hancock venture beyond the half way line from then on and he was a huge miss down the left. Given Ballantyne has had previous injury worries this season I thought he hadn't looked completely fit the last two matches and commented early in today's game about that. Don't think we have anyone who can come in to make up a central 3 (I'm ruling out ATS and Rhys) and having to go back to the flat back 4 for remaining games and possibly play offs would worry me. Hopefully it's not going to be a major thing for Cammy, just precautionary and we can see him back. 

So was looking at the limited available info and I reckon our total prize money for this season will be in the 500-600k range, having been only £143k total last season. 

Spectacular success on and off the pitch.

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So was looking at the limited available info and I reckon our total prize money for this season will be in the 500-600k range, having been only £143k total last season. 

Spectacular success on and off the pitch.

Not being cheeky cb, genuinely interested to know how did you get to that figure? Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Not being cheeky cb, genuinely interested to know how did you get to that figure? Thanks. 

Last season after TV was factored in 4th in the championship got 388k.

From this document (our last year's total is also here)

Scottish cup we're getting a bit over 70k from here 

League cup 55k from here

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-record-prize-money-for-viaplay-cup

Can't find challenge cup exact figures but remember 50k plus TV money for winner being bandied about around the time of the final.

So taking them as best guesstimate then it's circa 570k, which will actually rise to well over 600k if we're third.

Edited by cb_diamond

On 09/04/2024 at 23:32, Sub Parr said:

…..the fact that nobody knows where the ball will bounce when he ‘controls’ it that makes him so effective. Defenders can’t prepare, they just have to react. Against that, his positioning and timing of his runs into areas have really improved during his time with us.
Reminds me of Andy Smith, not the biggest talent but gives 100% and often that’s enough.

Watched Gabby quite closely today and with a bit more thought I think I was probably harsh on him earlier in the week. He really has improved so much in last 2 seasons. His control play was excellent today and esp. in first half was running into really good positions in the box- if only his team mates could’ve spotted him. Always gives 100%, but there is more than just effort. Well done and i stand corrected.

Thanks for those figures cb, quite a difference as you say from last season. 

And of course added to that (less higher stewarding and other costs) increased attendances compared to last season (averaging around 1800 per game compared to 1200 this time last year, so around + £150-200k over 18 home games).

6 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Thanks for those figures cb, quite a difference as you say from last season. 

And of course added to that (less higher stewarding and other costs) increased attendances compared to last season (averaging around 1800 per game compared to 1200 this time last year, so around + £150-200k over 18 home games).

Yeah, absolutely, plus hospitality is sold out every week this season, which will be another wee bump.

19 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah, absolutely, plus hospitality is sold out every week this season, which will be another wee bump.

And gates from Hearts game which I reckon will be £50k+. And sale of JD to Palace.

The squad will obviously have had a pay rise from last year but from the signings you wouldn't imagine our wage bill went up by orders of magnitude, however our turnover clearly has. A huge summer for the club in terms of future planning as we are unlikely to ever have such a big profit from one season again. Do they use it for one big go at promotion on the basis it might be McCabe's last year and there won't be a Dundee Utd type in the league? Or do they 'stick to the plan' and try and build more foundations to become a sustainable Championship side longer term?

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A huge summer for the club in terms of future planning as we are unlikely to ever have such a big profit from one season again. Do they use it for one big go at promotion on the basis it might be McCabe's last year and there won't be a Dundee Utd type in the league? Or do they 'stick to the plan' and try and build more foundations to become a sustainable Championship side longer term?

I know there’s a lot of romanticising about going up, but for me next season will be far more important. With the Navy Blue Pound finally escaping obscurity and Livi replacing Dundee United, next season’s Championship will be a whole lot more open and every club will think they’ll have claims to promotion/play-off places. I think next season again is about consolidation and showing that this season wasn’t just a flash in the pan a-la Arbroath a few years back, and we probably should have a bit of realism as well that we’ve been in League One for ten of the last eleven seasons. If we can escape the relegation playoffs with four to play again, I’ll take that.

Still think we’ll go up through the play-offs, but.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

There's no getting away from the fact our turnover has increased dramatically this season as outlined (prize money for cup and league, crowds, hospitality, JD transfer etc...) - without trying to put a dampener on it was there something on here a while back about us having a £200k loss (might have misread it) and you wonder if PH or a.n. Other is due back on loans? 

Seems to be running it sensibly, and no sign of concern from Rhys, but you just wonder how much of that increased turnover will be allocated to player budget and what (if any, could be £0 or very little) is set aside to cover previous losses? 

Fair fucks to you boys on your recent run and season overall. All but guaranteed a play off place and well deserved. Please knock Partick out on their arses if you play them.

Is this an omen? (aka more meaningless trivia from me):

In 1980 we were promoted to the Premier League

11 years later, in 1991, we were promoted to the Premier League

11 years later, in 2002, we (cough) transitioned to Airdrie United. We were pretty much a shoe-in for promotion to the Premier League until things unravelled that season

11 years later, in 2013, we were renamed Airdrieonians and were relegated to League One, where we stayed until last season

In 2024 it is 11 years later and we are within touching distance of the Premiership play-offs...