Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

6 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Watt, Lambie, Lithgow. Cadden

many more?

technically not a player of ours but was on loan to us, that i dearly miss...Liam Lindsay,,,i also miss Luca Gasparotto but he never made it down to England

54 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I think Saturday 3pm kick offs are not shown in the UK.

Aye, think your right, the website still says this.

Screenshot_20240726_194003_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I think Saturday 3pm kick offs are not shown in the UK.

For some reason the League Cup looks to be different. Premier Sports offering “match passes” for a lot of the 3pm kick offs.

maybe the 3PM Black Out comes in with the League Season?

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Yeah I agree Hancock would be a massive miss. His importance has never been clearer than in the Queen's Park game last season. After going off injured in the 2-0 win away at Tannadice he started on the bench and within a couple of minutes of coming on he took the ball and drove up half the park with it and scored a screamer. I know left back might not seem the most important position, but at the time it felt like nobody else in our team could have done that.

McStravick I like but I agree he's rarely been a massive standout and was a bit frustrating at times by either being a bit too soft/lightweight or taking a touch too many. Cracking goal in the Challenge Cup final but he'd passed up a few chances before that one where he should have been working the keeper (then scored the much more difficult chance). Still looking forward to his return and he's clearly very talented but if we're playing this same shape I'm not sure if I'd expect him to start regularly with the midfield options we have. If we shift to a 433 or 4231, like we did in the 5-2 win against Arbroath, then he can maybe force his way back in (him and Lyall ran riot that day), but would I expect him to start over the likes of Armstrong, Frizz, Mochrie in a narrower midfield role? Not sure.

From memory we started 4-2-3-1 in that Arbroath game and then really clicked when we changed to a diamond after half an hour, with McStravick playing off Todorov up front as he did in the Challenge Cup final until his injury. I feel like that might be his best position at the moment, can never fault his effort but he can drift in and out of games when played out wide or deeper. As you say though, that’s the kind of role I’d expect Mochrie to play so there is competition for places.

I’m not expecting him to play much, if at all, before January so plenty of time to work things out.

10 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

For some reason the League Cup looks to be different. Premier Sports offering “match passes” for a lot of the 3pm kick offs.

maybe the 3PM Black Out comes in with the League Season?

Aye, I think it's actually when SKY/TNT coverage starts for the EPL. 

The Mason chat is interesting because no one rated him at first and his defending was leaving us open. I remember saying we should go to a back 5 to get some cover behind him. There is no doubt he is a star going forward and his tackling has improved but still has areas he needs to improve.  Megwa knew when to get his tackle in and was brilliant at nicking the ball. Ballantyne had the instinct to get his block in to stop shots in the box at the last minute. MacDonald showed his natural defender's instinct against Aberdeen when he saw the way play was developing and came in field to stop the counter attack. A. Wilson turned up in the right place a few times against Aberdeen and I think he will get better and has more pace than Dycey. I've not seen that defender's instinct from Mason to just turn up in the right place at the right time. So basically what I'm saying is he has to stay with us until he improves and he is not good enough for anyone to pay money for and take him from us.

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

The Mason chat is interesting because no one rated him at first and his defending was leaving us open. I remember saying we should go to a back 5 to get some cover behind him. There is no doubt he is a star going forward and his tackling has improved but still has areas he needs to improve.  Megwa knew when to get his tackle in and was brilliant at nicking the ball. Ballantyne had the instinct to get his block in to stop shots in the box at the last minute. MacDonald showed his natural defender's instinct against Aberdeen when he saw the way play was developing and came in field to stop the counter attack. A. Wilson turned up in the right place a few times against Aberdeen and I think he will get better and has more pace than Dycey. I've not seen that defender's instinct from Mason to just turn up in the right place at the right time. So basically what I'm saying is he has to stay with us until he improves and he is not good enough for anyone to pay money for and take him from us.

I think he’ll be being scouted by a lot of clubs. He’s athletic, tall and good in the air and his crossing can be excellent. His “numbers” will be good and he showed up well against both Hearts and Aberdeen.

Granted his defending isn’t his strength in the way that it was with Megwa, but that seems to be the modern full back at elite level! With everything else in place teams will fancy that they can teach him the technicalities of defending. 

53 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I think he’ll be being scouted by a lot of clubs. He’s athletic, tall and good in the air and his crossing can be excellent. His “numbers” will be good and he showed up well against both Hearts and Aberdeen.

Granted his defending isn’t his strength in the way that it was with Megwa, but that seems to be the modern full back at elite level! With everything else in place teams will fancy that they can teach him the technicalities of defending. 

Personally I think mason is every bit as good as megwa especially his final ball,

7 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

How much prize money will be looking at for this? Hopefully a Celtic or Rangers away next. 

One of the advantages of qualifying from the league cup is it gives the budget a boost before the transfer window shuts, if we did get a decent draw on top of whatever money we get for qualifying could be the difference between keeping Hancock and letting him go for example

21 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

One of the advantages of qualifying from the league cup is it gives the budget a boost before the transfer window shuts, if we did get a decent draw on top of whatever money we get for qualifying could be the difference between keeping Hancock and letting him go for example

We're definitely through.

Edited by Kenny_m

31 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We're definitely through.

Great effort to qualify again, did everything asked of them, when's the draw for the next round?

Just seen the draw is tomorrow, hopefully we can avoid county, St Mirren and Dundee, being unseeded probably a good thing as it means we avoid dreadful draws against teams in our league 

Edited by moses1924
correction

Not the most exciting game but three points was the main thing. I think I’d prefer a winnable home game and a potential cup run rather than one of the old firm away but the seeding makes that tricky anyway. 

I thought we really missed McGregor at times today. Our movement and passing was very pedestrian at times and while the gameplan seemed to be to pack out the middle of the park with the full-backs as the width, it never fully worked and we often lacked a bit of pace in the final third. I was surprised to see Bruce at right back but I didn’t think that really worked, maybe with McGregor in front of him but Bruce was always looking to cut inside onto his stronger foot rather than being a threat down the line. After a centre back, a wide player who can play up front would be my next priority. I do not fancy us going forward if Wilson and McGregor are ever both out.

I think the ref was pretty terrible for both teams, constantly blew his whistle at the slightest bit of contact which really slowed the game down as well as us not moving the back quick enough.

I'm not convinced by Cammy Bruce so far, not sure what he really offers the team, similar to Mochrie, not sure if he's just not fit yet but both failed to impact the game.

Aidan Wilson deserved man of the match he's looked very good at centre back so far.

Ben Wilson is as good a natural goalscorer I've seen since Allan Russell going back to 2007, give him one chance and he'd almost certain to score.

That being said brilliant to get through to the next round and hope to get a glamour tie.