Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

28 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Don't do Facebook and haven't seen anything on Twitter regards this thread however I can only imagine that any negative comments are directed at certain posts and not the entire thread. "Happy clappy sweetie wives" as a description of people who are good with the direction the club is going in, is most certainly a great way to cause division amongst a support.

You do you and I'll continue to back the players, management/coaching team and owners.

Sometimes moaning is mistaken for concern  for the team ,and to suggest some of us will not be happy with Airdrie winning is bad to say the least,I was disappointed that we did not sign Smith or another proven player ,the young lads are doing great but there is a limit to what you can expect from them ,

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

I genuinely don’t think anyone disagrees with you.

It’s great to see young and hungry players on the park but a lack of physicality in midfield and EXPERIENCE will cause us bother this season against much more physical teams. This is why having an experienced & physical player is essential to come in when needed. 

We only want the recruitment to be a bit more diverse with a mix of high potential and proven players.

Hancock was a good example of the type of player I’d expect us to sign in conjunction with our younger signings. He’s played in the championship and looks physically capable to compete at this level.

Everyone who has commented on signing youngsters is entirely entitled to. We don’t want the club to fail nor do we want to bring the party down but the signing of Gallagher the other night just looked like the easy option to get someone in the door. 

I highly doubt signing Gavin Gallagher was signed as an easy option. No doubt McCabe rates him enough to develop and fight for a place in the team, just like the other young players we've signed. 

For the record, I'm not adverse to experienced players. I think we need a good balance throughout the team, but I do think we have that already. 

The defence is packed with experience. Rae may be a young GK but played in the Championship with QoTS.

In midfield we already have McCabe, Telfer and Frizz that are experienced players. Usually at least one of them is playing each week. 

In attack, you have Gal, Gabby and Todorov who are experienced. 

So I do think we already have a good balance of youth and experience throughout the team. 

Agree with the comments from others, and McCabe and McMaster, that we didn’t play particularly well. Equally I don’t think we played that badly either. I don’t think we had to get out of second gear at all. Inverness had a lot of the ball but did largely nothing with it. While we were hanging on a bit at the end I don’t think Inverness really put us under the cosh at all. They looked a poor team. Some good individual players but no identity or clear plan which I think was one of the key differences between the sides. 

Can only add to the superlatives regarding McMaster and Aiken. Really mature performance from both of them and McMaster is already a leader in this team. Seems daft to say but it makes you feel proud seeing his development. So good positionally and tactically, and we especially saw that yesterday once we went down to 10 men. He held that midfield together, dropped in between the centre-halves when he had to and kept us solid enough to limit Inverness and see the game out. Never wasted a pass once again either. Aiken was also very good, although that ‘attempt’ at goal might be one of the worst I’ve ever seen 😂 Obviously the age or lack of experience in our team has been a fairly contentious issue this week. But kudos to them for seeing out a win in a midfield which didn’t contain any of McCabe, Frizzell or Telfer. I’m not sure anyone would have expected us to do that last year in League 1 let alone the Championship so fair play to them. That’s not a position we want to be in every week mind so if Telfer or McCabe aren’t back next week it could be a tricky afternoon. Agree also that Frizzell needs to be careful with the number of bookings he’s collecting. The first was soft but the second was unarguable. Needs to be smarter there as while the foul was ‘cute’, I’m not sure it’d have led to a goal. In some ways I’d rather Frizzell missed Tannadice than Gayfield but he’s still a huge loss. 

Credit to McGregor also who I think is getting better as the weeks go. Gave Davidson a difficult afternoon and was instrumental in the two goals. And that run also deserved a goal. Could have been a real turning point since they went straight up the park and scored after it but it thankfully didn’t matter in the end. 

Paying a fee for a player is both terrifying and exciting! Neither necessarily mean anything but he’s played and scored in his limited amount of first team games and he’s spoken of highly by folk, including Airdrie Challenge Cup winner Marc Smyth. If nothing else I hope he’s better than Jonathan Page and the Northern Irish jobbers we had on the books last season. I hope folk are patient with him as, however talented he is and even with a transfer fee behind him, he’s still likely to be a young and inconsistent winger given his age and lack of experience. Really looking forward to seeing him in action though. 

6/9 points is probably as a good a start as anyone could have asked for. I know we should maybe be looking up the way rather than down, but a 6 point gap between us and bottom is a good bridge to take to Tannadice with us. Just a pity Arbroath and Thistle both won yesterday as well! 

Really looking forward to Tannadice next week. It’s a ground I like although I’ve never seen Airdrie play there before so I’m looking forward to it for that alone. Not expecting a result but it will be fun going there as the underdogs. Very much a one and done for me though as f**k paying £25 again. Hopefully be a good crowd through for it. Speaking of which, it’s been fantastic seeing the main stand busier than it’s been for years. Long may it continue ♦️

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

This Airdrie side look capable of becoming a real force this season tbh.

As you'll have seen in the last couple of pages of lively debate we certainly have a first 11 who are capable of competing well, where we and I suspect a few others in the league may become unstuck is squad depth and quality. If we keep our main players fit then we are certainly capable of still being here next season.

Are any of those who feel we need some older aka experienced and perhaps (??,)  more talented players the same folk who strongly felt Rhys needed an older more experienced assistant in the dugout last season? I so want Rhys and Dycey to succeed I really hope they can continue to prove some folk wrong. Looking forward to seeing our new young team.  

37 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Are any of those who feel we need some older aka experienced and perhaps (??,)  more talented players the same folk who strongly felt Rhys needed an older more experienced assistant in the dugout last season? I so want Rhys and Dycey to succeed I really hope they can continue to prove some folk wrong. Looking forward to seeing our new young team.  

For me it’s not particularly about overall skill. More about being street smart on the pitch and helping the team through some of the tougher games.  I will admit that some of our younger players are showing a serious amount of maturity on the pitch and I’m not against bringing in youth but feel we should be bringing in a player or two that already has that proven record at this level, thats all.  Believe me, I’m enjoying our style of play and the positive attitude the players have regardless of the opposition. Next week will tell the story … if we can give a really good account of ourselves and maybe come away with a point that will show how far we’ve come and if this team can take something from the top end teams.  If we get a hiding, there’s a good chance it’s because of inexperience.  I’m actually very confident about next week but we’re not going to get something from every game and Tannadice is about as tough as we’ll get. There’s a big jump from Dalbeattie Star or Linfield to games like next weeks.  And I’m excited to have these young lads join, long term they’ll be great additions.  For next week, no.    

As for a strong assistant to Rhys, Dycey seemed the logical choice and I’m happy with their partnership.  Always have been.  The club said they would be looking for some sort of mentor to help Rhys which didn’t materialize.  In hindsight, I’m thinking Rhys was proving his worth and probably said he didn’t want anyone interfering or whatever.  So far so good imo 

51 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Cant deny that I'd like a couple more experienced players in the ranks to give us some depth, but the development of this team over the last couple of years without said experience has been tremendous to watch.

Sure, we've had some downers (mainly against Edinburgh City/FC/whatever) but I don't think anyone can deny that it's been a steady upward trajectory to date and has been hugely entertaining.

The development of players such as Devenny, McMaster, Aiken (OK, I know he's a loanee but gets better each game) and many others is obvious for all to see. The whole squad are prepared to dig in. Yesterday was a great example of the progress made there.

This isn't a 'happy clapper' effort. I know we'll have to put up with some tough times this season but when you stand back and look where we are now compared to a few years back it's night and day.

I'm not sure the need we have for 'experience', the team isn't as young or lacking in experience as some make out. On Saturday our midfield was particularly young, but that is with McCabe and Telfer unavailable. Rae is young but is a far better goalie than many of the more experienced goalies we've had. The average age of our back line (which is the area I'd say experience is most important) is 30 and they've played well over 1200 senior games between the 4 of them. McCabe, Telfer and Frizzell are also hugely experienced, as are Gal and Todorov. I don't really see where it is that we are lacking in that regard. It's really just in wider areas that we are relying on younger guys (which is normal) and then squad players, which again is normal.

I just think we need 2 or 3 more players purely for the quality they'd bring if we get injuries. I don't particularly care if they are 18 or 35, provided they bring what the manager wants. As someone mentioned earlier, signing an experienced player means they are probably on the way down, which there will be a reason for. You just have to watch 'experienced centre back' Kirk Broadfoot getting torn inside out by Callum Smith a couple of weeks back against Raith and then give 2 penalties away in 2 games to see that actual footballing/athletic ability trumps having played at a higher level most of the time.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not sure the need we have for 'experience', the team isn't as young or lacking in experience as some make out. On Saturday our midfield was particularly young, but that is with McCabe and Telfer unavailable. Rae is young but is a far better goalie than many of the more experienced goalies we've had. The average age of our back line (which is the area I'd say experience is most important) is 30 and they've played well over 1200 senior games between the 4 of them. McCabe, Telfer and Frizzell are also hugely experienced, as are Gal and Todorov. I don't really see where it is that we are lacking in that regard. It's really just in wider areas that we are relying on younger guys (which is normal) and then squad players, which again is normal.

I just think we need 2 or 3 more players purely for the quality they'd bring if we get injuries. I don't particularly care if they are 18 or 35, provided they bring what the manager wants. As someone mentioned earlier, signing an experienced player means they are probably on the way down, which there will be a reason for. You just have to watch 'experienced centre back' Kirk Broadfoot getting torn inside out by Callum Smith a couple of weeks back against Raith and then give 2 penalties away in 2 games to see that actual footballing/athletic ability trumps having played at a higher level most of the time.

3 in 3. He gave away a penalty against us at the end of the game when he clattered Ethan Ross but Josh Mullin missed it.

Smith has been an excellent signing though. Definitely feels like he thrives under Murray.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd assume the simple correlation that most people are making (I know I am) is the immediacy of the quality that the right experienced players should bring (key word there being 'right' ). I agree about your "on the way down" comment for the most part but the flipside of that is that, for example, David Wotherspoon at 33, would still on paper comfortably be our best midfielder with the possible exception of Frizz and would be a huge signing in this really pivotal season. 

It's absolutely a short term thing and should in no way replace the clubs long term vision, but it absolutely has its place in a well balanced transfer policy. Apart from Todorov, every single signing is young, "promising" but completely unproven, particularly at this level.

Just being Devil's Advocate here.

Edited by cb_diamond

26 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'd assume the simple correlation that most people are making (I know I am) is the immediacy of the quality that the right experienced players should bring (key word there being 'right' ). I agree about your "on the way down" comment for the most part but the flipside of that is that, for example, David Wotherspoon at 33, would still on paper comfortably be our best midfielder with the possible exception of Frizz and would be a huge signing in this really pivotal season. 

It's absolutely a short term thing and should in no way replace the clubs long term vision, but it absolutely has its place in a well balanced transfer policy. Apart from Todorov, every single signing is young, "promising" but completely unproven, particularly at this level.

Every club in Scotland is looking to bring in and sell players on for profit but absolutely there has to be a balance. I'm the ultimate Rhys McCabe fanboy/man, even when there were loads of dissenting voices during our sticky spell last season, but he'll be well aware that for every Justin Devenny there will 10 Jay Riley's.

The two sides of the debate on signing policy are not really that far apart in reality and absolutely not a criticism of the young players signed. (McStravick does seem to be a player who will excite the fans)

We've started great and I feel it would be a real statement of intent to add a proven "marquee" signing and perhaps we're a bit more of an attraction to some players who maybe thought we would be cannon fodder.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Every club in Scotland is looking to bring in and sell players on for profit but absolutely there has to be a balance. I'm the ultimate Rhys McCabe fanboy/man, even when there were loads of dissenting voices during our sticky spell last season, but he'll be well aware that for every Justin Devenny there will 10 Jay Riley's.

The two sides of the debate on signing policy are not really that far apart in reality and absolutely not a criticism of the young players signed. (McStravick does seem to be a player who will excite the fans)

We've started great and I feel it would be a real statement of intent to add a proven "marquee" signing and perhaps we're a bit more of an attraction to some players who maybe thought we would be cannon fodder.

Great post, agree 100%

49 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Since November 2021 he has missed 316 days out injured, so you could end up paying a big wage for someone who then gets crocked for the season.

Just now, KD1711 said:

Since November 2021 he has missed 316 days out injured, so you could end up paying a big wage for someone who then gets crocked for the season.

The point wasn't specific to Wotherspoon to be fair, you could add another name in there for the idea to still stand.

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The point wasn't specific to Wotherspoon to be fair, you could add another name in there for the idea to still stand.

I get your point, but I’m struggling to see any experienced players still kicking about looking for a club, bar wotherspoon. Would be really surprised to see any of our remaining signings be an experienced head, also wouldn’t be surprised to see Justin Devenny back.

Just now, AJ77 said:

I get your point, but I’m struggling to see any experienced players still kicking about looking for a club, bar wotherspoon. Would be really surprised to see any of our remaining signings be an experienced head, also wouldn’t be surprised to see Justin Devenny back.

That would be an interesting turn of events. I think from the outside it certainly looks like people trust Rhys with young players, which is great to see.

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

As I said in earlier post it's more someone "marquee" who's guaranteed to make a difference. I'm a huge fan of Kerr McInroy and find it galling that he's scored 2 and had 1 assist in 2 games for Thistle, someone of that ilk though.

Would be delighted to have Devenny back on loan as I do love a lefty.