Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

A defender that can cover right back and centre back is exactly what we need, ideally competition for Janny's position too.

Played 9 times for Kelty last season, can't say I remember too much of him so a bit of an unknown quantity, but I'm sure they'll be able to fill you in on him on their forum.

That's 3 loaness all signed from Hibs in the squad now.

52 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

From that article, the writer's thoughts on him at centre back aren't filling me with hope in which case that's yet another right back.

Screenshot_20230921-185001.thumb.png.c1b9981bb7f2e41e76dbc4e17172d3a2.png

17 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

I personally had hoped that the next signing would be a natural LB; however, any kind of defensive cover/competition is most welcome at this stage and based on the noises from the Hibs fans, the lad could be a solid addition.

I get that Cammy B has done well at LB but I personally think the assertion that he’s better there than his natural RB position is mad. We now have 3 RBs, 3 CBs and no LB - Hancock has said himself that he’s a CB, but can only assume the plan is to use him at LB in the long term.

All of that being said, as we’ve discussed at length here, the market is tough and we’re after a very specific type of player that suits our style, so got to trust in Rhys and Dycey on this one!

Agree with every word.

1 hour ago, thediamonddude said:

I personally had hoped that the next signing would be a natural LB; however, any kind of defensive cover/competition is most welcome at this stage and based on the noises from the Hibs fans, the lad could be a solid addition.

I get that Cammy B has done well at LB but I personally think the assertion that he’s better there than his natural RB position is mad. We now have 3 RBs, 3 CBs and no LB - Hancock has said himself that he’s a CB, but can only assume the plan is to use him at LB in the long term.

All of that being said, as we’ve discussed at length here, the market is tough and we’re after a very specific type of player that suits our style, so got to trust in Rhys and Dycey on this one!

I agree regarding the balance of the squad, and I think we need more strength at the back, however I'd disagree that thinking Ballantyne is better at left back is 'mad'. I know it's only been one season so a relatively small sample size compared to his whole career, but I don't think anyone who watched us last season could disagree that he was much better at left back than right back. I remember posting around Christmas time that I was really underwhelmed by him. He had 3 red cards from that position and it culminated in the 2nd match down at Palmerston where we lost a goal from him sleeping at the back post, McCabe changed it after that and he was like a man possessed the rest of the season on the left. The team in general improved after that from a few changes so that may have been a factor in his improvement, but I've no real desire to see him switched back across. The last time Callum Smith played against Ballantyne as a right back he scored a hat-trick, so I think I'd rather he was kept well away on Saturday!

Most teams play with wide attackers who cut inside these days, so in some ways being on your 'wrong side' as a full-back helps as they are cutting onto your stronger side. And going forward we're not really a side who needs full-backs to swing crosses in, Ballantyne driving forward and cutting inside and linking up has been a strength for us and even got himself a goal from it against ICT.

Sounds like the boy from Hibs will be more of a right back which gives us Watson/Megwa on the right and Ballantyne/Hancock on the left, which seems fine to me. I still think we're short of one dominant centre back, when we're at home and have a lot of the ball I think Fordyce and ATS will be fine, but Saturday highlighted what we probably knew which is that when we're put under pressure physically I don't think we're strong enough. If things don't go as hoped this year I think that's where we'll look back and say we didn't strengthen enough.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Watson against Callum Smith terrifies me a lot more.

Have a feeling Smith will get on the scoresheet but if Gal and Gabby can get their shooting boots on we might be able to take all 3 points.  Murray knows this team very well and they have made an excellent start to the season.  This will be our biggest challenge yet imo. 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree regarding the balance of the squad, and I think we need more strength at the back, however I'd disagree that thinking Ballantyne is better at left back is 'mad'. I know it's only been one season so a relatively small sample size compared to his whole career, but I don't think anyone who watched us last season could disagree that he was much better at left back than right back. I remember posting around Christmas time that I was really underwhelmed by him. He had 3 red cards from that position and it culminated in the 2nd match down at Palmerston where we lost a goal from him sleeping at the back post, McCabe changed it after that and he was like a man possessed the rest of the season on the left. The team in general improved after that from a few changes so that may have been a factor in his improvement, but I've no real desire to see him switched back across. The last time Callum Smith played against Ballantyne as a right back he scored a hat-trick, so I think I'd rather he was kept well away on Saturday!

Most teams play with wide attackers who cut inside these days, so in some ways being on your 'wrong side' as a full-back helps as they are cutting onto your stronger side. And going forward we're not really a side who needs full-backs to swing crosses in, Ballantyne driving forward and cutting inside and linking up has been a strength for us and even got himself a goal from it against ICT.

Sounds like the boy from Hibs will be more of a right back which gives us Watson/Megwa on the right and Ballantyne/Hancock on the left, which seems fine to me. I still think we're short of one dominant centre back, when we're at home and have a lot of the ball I think Fordyce and ATS will be fine, but Saturday highlighted what we probably knew which is that when we're put under pressure physically I don't think we're strong enough. If things don't go as hoped this year I think that's where we'll look back and say we didn't strengthen enough.

My assertion that it would be mad to think switching him back to RB was a good thing was perhaps a tad excessive and, while I do agree with a lot of what you say DaF, I still stand by my general point.

There is no question that Ballantyne improved when moved to LB last season but, as you’ve noted yourself, this coincided with a period where everything clicked - formation, lineup, togetherness - it was all there. The issue for me is the sample size - we’re talking a dozen games last season plus almost another dozen this season, which isn’t enough to convince me personally that he’s better on the left than a natural LB. 

I also get what you’re saying about a lot of modern full backs being inverted and while I’m very much against inverted full backs, midfielders that need to be defined as holding/attacking, and strikers playing on flanks, if I’m to accept the modern traps of the game, I think the inverted full back thing falls down if you don’t have it on both sides? Like you say, there could be advantages to it but I’ve also got to think teams can exploit it. 

I was totally in the same place as you with Ballantyne around Christmas last year - think I actually described him as one of my most disappointing signings of the modern era, when you factor in the promise he showed. However, he has upped his game majorly since then, I just don’t think that’s all because of the switch to LB.

Anyway, think it’s all a moot point, as today’s signing would suggest to me that Rhys sees him at LB for the foreseeable and as the furthest thing you’ll get from a football manager, my opinion is likely to be trumped by his! 😂

48 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

My punt at guessing Saturday's line up:

Rae

Megwa, Dycey, Hancock, Cammy

McMaster

Frizz, Aiken

Gabby, Gal, McGregor

Wouldn't really disagree but as was touched on the match thread, does Watson deserve the chop? Yes he was poor last week but he's been great all season. I can't make up my mind but interested to see Megwa.

I do think Rhys will drop himself in favour of McMaster even though he also had a stinker last week but we simply can't have both of them starting.

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Wouldn't really disagree but as was touched on the match thread, does Watson deserve the chop? Yes he was poor last week but he's been great all season. I can't make up my mind but interested to see Megwa.

I do think Rhys will drop himself in favour of McMaster even though he also had a stinker last week but we simply can't have both of them starting.

Don't disagree about Watson, but Rhys was raging last week and getting a RB in on loan after our RB has a shocker makes me think he will change it up. 

14 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Don't disagree about Watson, but Rhys was raging last week and getting a RB in on loan after our RB has a shocker makes me think he will change it up. 

Get out there make it like a cup final , Murray will panic ,send all subs on at once but we will keep on scoring ,then I'll wake up ,

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought Hancock was excellent at left back today and would’ve been my pick for motm. Nice to have some genuine competition in defence now. Really enjoying the midfield 3 of McMaster, Aiken and Frizzell too.

I can only assume Aiken was carrying a knock last week, one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

And yip Hancock showed up really well.

Edited by Kenny_m

20 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:Really enjoying the midfield 3 of McMaster, Aiken and Frizzell too.

Yes, the three did well today (as did everyone until you get to the front 3), but felt they played too far back and front 3 were isolated and couldn’t get the ball.

A couple of times Gal came back into midfield and linked to the remaining two, but that was it.

Still, a great result and Murrayball failed to materialise after we scored. 

It’s very early days but that’s us now played all of the teams above us (and Inverness of course) and beaten two of them at home. Three wins at home is a great start and if we can learn from last week then great. We’ve got a few tough but winnable games to finish this quarter, would be great to go on a run.

I think we’ve now got a decent result after all of McCabe’s big disasters/horrific performances (Edinburgh 0-6, Edinburgh 3-1, Edinburgh 3-5 (there’s a theme here!), Dunfermline 3-4, Queen of the South 3-2) and last week at Arbroath.

Shout out to Gabby McGill for the goal. He somehow ended up at left back, started the move and then played in Gallagher for the goal. Hopefully that does gives him a confidence boost as he’s clearly struggled a bit in the last few games. He looked absolutely delighted at the end and fair play to him.