Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

10 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Red shorts and socks for me - although, I’ve always liked us being able to switch things up by having alternatives we can move to, for example the away kit having black shorts and socks, so we can alternate.

I think, for a lot of folk, the shorts and socks colour preference comes down to positive memories or eras that stuck with you - think that’s why I like the red shorts and socks combo as my formative years following the team were the 92 Hummel kits and the then 94 Matchwinner ones.

Completely agree regarding positive or formative memories.  I started following the club in the early 70's, and my preference is white top with large diamond, red shorts and socks, although also like black socks.

I think one of the problems with the large diamond is where to put the numbers on the back of the shirt, in the 70's the numbers were small and put inside the diamond, making it difficult to read at long range. And that was when I had young eyes, I would have no hope nowadays!!

18 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The 2010-11 Surridge home & away tops were winners for me, and the home is the only one I’ve kept. Anything that has a collar like this and a bit of subtle trim on the shirt rather than diamond and white everything else. image.thumb.jpeg.d37f39d6f0fc0ba8e1fd2b24f8256ac8.jpeg

Around this time was a proper existential crisis kit wise. Releasing a random Umbro red “away” kit in February and raiding the kit room for an old Diadora set to put a new sponsor on 2/3rds of the way through the next season particular highlights

EDIT: to be fair thinking back, it wasn’t just an existential crisis kit wise, it was a real struggle to keep a team on the park through this era.

I loved the 10/11 tops too in terms of how they looked. But they were really uncomfortable to wear! They felt really thick and weighted. Managed to pick up a 08/09 Surridge home top from Classic Football Shirts a couple of years ago, in brand new condition! I loved the 09/10 Surridge home shirt too, with the red on the shoulders. Was something different, albeit it was sort of like this seasons home shirt in terms of a broken up diamond!

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I will always love this one as the strip of my youth as modelled here by midfield dynamo/heroic firefighter/big ride Evan Balfour.

Screenshot_20230612-100456.png

Width of Diamond is preferable to the broad ones of recent years, but it needs to be deeper/longer. I tend to white shorts and black socks with the red and white tops.

I accept that getting bespoke kit will take a bit longer and timing could also depend on sponsors for front and back all having confirmed their deals for next season. I assume that the club moves it along as fast as they can in all the circs

4 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Like this one? Sadly couldn’t find any pictures of Kurtis Roberts wearing it. He must’ve been on international duty. 

IMG_6795.jpeg

Now that is a tremendous Airdrie strip. Half shut your eyes and it could be any of the classic outfits since 1920 or whatever. Hughie Gallacher to... whoever you have now.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Does anyone know which game Josh Rae will be suspended for? He still has a match of his ban to serve after his red card against Falkirk but I’m not sure if it will be the first league game of the season or if it will be served in the League Cup

I "think" it might be a league game tbh but im sure @Skyline Drifter could confirm.

I'm only going on the assumption that his card were in that competition. I'm only guessing though tbf.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Was that red on the shorts at the side? I genuinely cant remember that! Diamond slightly longer aswell for me please.

Yeah red down the side of the shorts. The official socks for that season were black but we reverted to white socks for the rest of the season until covid ended it. Always wonder how we would’ve got on if covid didn’t end that season as we were 5pts behind the top with 8 games to go. And we still had to play Falkirk and Raith away, and Raith and Falkirk still had to play eachother. We were a bit like 21/22 Queen’s Park that season in terms of being solid enough but not really scoring many goals.

There are so many permutations people like for the strip,   we cried out for the black shorts\ socks combo this season and wore it once against qos,    I believe one of the reasons is the referee s kit cannot clash,  at our level they are either all black or yellow green shirt with black shorts \ socks,  therefore we clash most of the time with our official registered kit.... So we play with red shorts\ socks instead.....

Another ruleis you cannot have an identical design for a change kit albeit in a different colour,  which rules out the traditional in some eyes of the black top\ red diamond....

And also any idea of black shorts\ red socks can get in the sea,  we are not Clyde ffs.... And I only remember us playing in that combination  4 times in the past 40 years,  away to Cowdenbeath in 2012, the new year rangers game (whatever year rangers won our league)_ and the Stuart Millar special worn twice when launched in season 21\22....  

5 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Yeah red down the side of the shorts. The official socks for that season were black but we reverted to white socks for the rest of the season until covid ended it. Always wonder how we would’ve got on if covid didn’t end that season as we were 5pts behind the top with 8 games to go. And we still had to play Falkirk and Raith away, and Raith and Falkirk still had to play eachother. We were a bit like 21/22 Queen’s Park that season in terms of being solid enough but not really scoring many goals.

We were winning the league that year. A point behind Rovers and in good form, with them to visit the Bairnabeu in the last match.

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We were winning the league that year. A point behind Rovers and in good form, with them to visit the Bairnabeu in the last match.

You still had to play Airdrie at home though, which never ends well, and we also never beat Raith. We’ll never know but I don’t think it’s as simple as a win over Raith (which I’m not convinced would have happened) would have done the job.