Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

We’re only going to find out about Megwa going back to Hibs when he’s not on the team line for Saturday, aren’t we?

Yeah, I suspect you're spot on. At least we can use that as our excuse why we don't beat Dunfermline U17s...

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah, I suspect you're spot on. At least we can use that as our excuse why we don't beat Dunfermline U17s...

Pics of Megwa at Airdrie till end of season ,no mention of call back ,

36 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Where's this?

When Megwa was signed it was stated that he was signed until the end of the season,  I have not seen anything official to say that has changed..  It is clearly stated on the official website,  The season long loans also include Murray Aiken and Josh O Connor..

What other positions do we need to strengthen IMO a left sided attacker in the mould of a Zanatta of Hamilton or Reilly of Dundee both would give us added options as scoring goals even after other recent performance needs to improve..   probably an additional Centre Half on loan wouldnt gonna amiss  as cover and let Rhys play midfield where he can pull the strings...    

24 minutes ago, Passionate said:

When Megwa was signed it was stated that he was signed until the end of the season,  I have not seen anything official to say that has changed..  It is clearly stated on the official website,  The season long loans also include Murray Aiken and Josh O Connor..

What other positions do we need to strengthen IMO a left sided attacker in the mould of a Zanatta of Hamilton or Reilly of Dundee both would give us added options as scoring goals even after other recent performance needs to improve..   probably an additional Centre Half on loan wouldnt gonna amiss  as cover and let Rhys play midfield where he can pull the strings...    

Cheers, appreciate the info.

Re: strengthening, if you had asked me a month ago I would have said wingers and a striker, but with the change of system both are somewhat negated. Agree about an extra centre half though.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

It was on hibs site ,

The loan is for the remainder of the 2023/24 campaign, with a review in January 2024.

the part about the January review is what’s worrying me.  Maybe they’ll take him away for a week to see if he’s progressed enough to merit game time in the top flight.  But hopefully not 

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

The loan is for the remainder of the 2023/24 campaign, with a review in January 2024.

the part about the January review is what’s worrying me.  Maybe they’ll take him away for a week to see if he’s progressed enough to merit game time in the top flight.  But hopefully not 

Does it matter? Can a loan player not be recalled at any time the parent club wants?

3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm no 100% but I thought they could only recall them in the windows? As I said though, might be talking p*sh

Goalies might be different but Murray Johnson signed  a year long loan at QOS, played 1 game and was recalled due to injuries at Hibs and hasn't played a game for them.

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm no 100% but I thought they could only recall them in the windows? As I said though, might be talking p*sh

Think that's broadly correct yeah. I think they possibly can recall them between windows but they can't play again until they're registered in the next transfer window. The Murray Johnson example @Kenny_m mentioned was presumably fine because it was within a transfer window.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Think that's broadly correct yeah. I think they possibly can recall them between windows but they can't play again until they're registered in the next transfer window. The Murray Johnson example @Kenny_m mentioned was presumably fine because it was within a transfer window

@Skyline Drifter is probably better placed to comment but I'm unsure if goalies are different, possibly different circs (is it only a goalie that can move on an emergency loan, also?) And fwiw I know none of them were emergencies 😂 but the "within the window" seems the obvious option for Johnson.

Fingers crossed Hibs are content to let him carry on at Airdrie, seems to like the fans, manager, facilities and it's reciprocated from the fan's, time will tell!!

57 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

@Skyline Drifter is probably better placed to comment but I'm unsure if goalies are different, possibly different circs (is it only a goalie that can move on an emergency loan, also?) And fwiw I know none of them were emergencies 😂 but the "within the window" seems the obvious option for Johnson.

Fingers crossed Hibs are content to let him carry on at Airdrie, seems to like the fans, manager, facilities and it's reciprocated from the fan's, time will tell!!

Not really sure what the question is here but looking at the last few posts, most of it is correct.

• Any loan can be cancelled at ANY time in theory by agreement of all parties (both clubs and player). However, if a loan is cancelled during a closed window and the player returns to his parent club then he can't play first team football for the parent club until the opening of the next window. He could however go out on loan again below the SPFL.
  • Most season long loans will contain a clause entitling the parent club to cancel it at some point in January but even those that don't could still be cancelled if the parties agree to do so (and in practice that really means "if the parent club wants it cancelled". No borrowing club would refuse, nobody would ever lend them a player again and it would put the player in an impossible position too knowing he was continuing to play despite his employer wanting him back). 
  • Goalkeepers generally are no different BUT, as you are well aware since you borrowed Murray Johnson, and Darren Jamieson on an emergency basis last season, there are circumstances where you can bring an emergency keeper in for 7 days at a time.
  • Specifically on Murray Johnson, he was with us for a season in theory. As usual there was a January recall option but it clearly never got that far. Hibs specific situation, being in Europe, with David Marshall carrying an injury and Jojo Wollacot out for a number of months left them with only Max Boruc fully fit. They did initially recall him on a 7 day emergency for their domestic match at the weekend but then realised you can't do a 7 day loan recall for registration in Europe so they had to cancel the loan completely to name him in their UEFA Cup squad. They were able to do that because the summer window was still open obviously. As it happened, he sat on the bench a couple of times but wasn't needed as Marshall played his way through it. I expect we'd have got Johnson back in September but circumstances conspired against us with our other two keepers being unavailable also just before he was free to come back. Gordon Botterill was suspended and Charlie Cowie broke down with what has turned out to be a season ending injury. We had to get somebody else and won a watch really when we managed to get Harry Stone from Hearts.
  • Hibs now have an issue with Murray Johnson because unfortunately for them he played one game for us at Elgin in the Viaplay Cup before their injury shenanigans. He can only play for one more SPFL club this season so if they send him back out on loan to anybody but us then he can't then be recalled to play for Hibs even in an emergency. I expect if the Harry Stone loan hadn't worked so well he'd have been back with us in January but we've renewed Stone now so that won't be happening.