Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Great to see frizzell back to his best today. I’ve never bought the ‘just not up to this level’ shouts, think it was much more of a confidence issue than a lack of ability.

Everyone was good today although Hancock was my motm.

Was surprised at how comfortable the game was, expected it to be a lot tighter but we controlled and dominated pretty much the whole game.

Moved the ball a lot better and hopefully a performance like that can start to kick us on.

Thought Mason Hancock was MOTM today but I can't really fault anyone at all.

Great start to 2024 and I did say on here despite going on a bit of a bad run, all it takes is a couple of wins to climb right up the table.

Happy New Year diamonds!!! ♦️♦️♦️

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I think the point was that Hibs have a massive player crisis in the exact position he plays...

Yours sincerely,

Lionel Hutz Esq

I hope Hibs were watching him today as I thought that was his worst performance since arriving, he was only good!

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Great to see frizzell back to his best today. I’ve never bought the ‘just not up to this level’ shouts, think it was much more of a confidence issue than a lack of ability.

Everyone was good today although Hancock was my motm.

I agree that Frizzell was indeed back to his best and it was a game where we pressed Caley any time we lost the ball

I also wonder if the absence of young McStravick was actually a bonus as there was no need to find him and the space for Hancock was there all day for our midfield to keep driving on. Also Rhys being there was so much more assured and competitive.

Great start to 24 and I'd love to see us stall the Kirkcaldy steam engine again . 

14 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree that Frizzell was indeed back to his best and it was a game where we pressed Caley any time we lost the ball

I also wonder if the absence of young McStravick was actually a bonus as there was no need to find him and the space for Hancock was there all day for our midfield to keep driving on. Also Rhys being there was so much more assured and competitive.

Great start to 24 and I'd love to see us stall the Kirkcaldy steam engine again . 

I agree on McStravick. He has some nice touches but feel like he can slow our play down at times and doesn’t really impact games enough yet. The left hand side of Hancock, Telfer and Frizzell moving into wider areas linked really well today.

Talking of Frizzell, great to see him making his 100th appearance. It’s nice having a solid core of players who’ve hit that mark and have been a big part of our success recently with Watson doing it last month, Fordyce and Gallagher way ahead with around 175 appearances as well as McCabe and McGill not too far away. 

Having the two front men moving across the line instead of Gal as a pivot point centrally made so much more space for everyone else. But if Gal had been in the box would he have managed to get on the end of the crosses?

The attempted passes through the lines nearly came off a couple of times and I feel we are getting better at that part of the game and with a bit more confidence going forward the goals will come.

There is no doubt Megwa has been outstanding in defence and has played a big part in the solid back line but Ballantyne is more effective going forward. Megwa has the talent and ability to develop that side of his game and it is good to see that Rhys wanted to keep him but Hibs have a future star and he will only get better.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Having the two front men moving across the line instead of Gal as a pivot point centrally made so much more space for everyone else. But if Gal had been in the box would he have managed to get on the end of the crosses?

The attempted passes through the lines nearly came off a couple of times and I feel we are getting better at that part of the game and with a bit more confidence going forward the goals will come.

There is no doubt Megwa has been outstanding in defence and has played a big part in the solid back line but Ballantyne is more effective going forward. Megwa has the talent and ability to develop that side of his game and it is good to see that Rhys wanted to keep him but Hibs have a future star and he will only get better.

I totally agree. The two up top worked very well and gave us more of a presence. McGill and Todorov aren’t the quickest forwards but put enough pressure on the ICT back line to force a few mistakes.

As much as Megwa will be a big miss, Ballantyne is more than capable and actually better at going forward as you say. 

I think Ballantyne is probably is best player and is consistently an 8/10 every week. 

Ballantyne's groin injury is worrying though, surgery was mentioned at one point but anyone any idea of his current progress?

Perhaps @AndyDD could ask at the pre match interviews, appreciating that Rhys might not want to say.

If we have Hancock and Megwa/Ballantyne available I think the system yesterday works as they are good enough to provide width and it removes the need to play with attacking wide players - definitely our weakest area squad wise. Similar thinking to the 3 at the back with wing backs that we played away at Raith in that it gives us width without having to play weaker players. If we get ahead in the game it also gives the option of McGregor off the bench on the counter, just like against Abroath, and yesterday where he nearly got in a couple of times. If things aren't going well we have Gal to come on (or whoever isn't starting that day).

I thought the biggest reason it worked though was that it allowed us to press from the front more effectively as we had to 2 players up there. That meant they couldn't just pass round our isolated striker like teams would normally do, that allowed Frizz and Telfer to then follow up and press them into kicking it out of play or going long which most of the time met Fordyce's head.

With McCabe moving forward in front of the defence there is no need for McMaster and that meant GavGal could come in as the third midfield worker which gave us a better balance and everyone played their part with not a single passenger. I thought GavGal slotted in well and was similar to what Aitken brings to the team.

Be interesting to see what team is put out against Raith. Hopefully Megwa is still there to keep Easton in check.

I know we’re looking for squad additions this month but also think any extensions could be crucial too, as sides around us will be looking to make moves as contracts run down. Would be looking to tie Hancock, Rae, Ballantyne & McMaster down to longer deals as soon as we can - certainly all players that could move on to other teams at this level and above. And what about McCabe & Fordyce? Am I right in thinking the two of them are only contracted until the end of the season or is there a bit of “gentlemen’s agreement” about their situation do we think?

Arrivals… well we definitely need wide players and I think another striker wouldn’t hurt if we’re going about thing with two up front now. Maybe even a forward thinking midfielder if we can, but don’t think there’ll be a wealth of options for any of those positions.

18 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know we’re looking for squad additions this month but also think any extensions could be crucial too, as sides around us will be looking to make moves as contracts run down. Would be looking to tie Hancock, Rae, Ballantyne & McMaster down to longer deals as soon as we can - certainly all players that could move on to other teams at this level and above. And what about McCabe & Fordyce? Am I right in thinking the two of them are only contracted until the end of the season or is there a bit of “gentlemen’s agreement” about their situation do we think?

Arrivals… well we definitely need wide players and I think another striker wouldn’t hurt if we’re going about thing with two up front now. Maybe even a forward thinking midfielder if we can, but don’t think there’ll be a wealth of options for any of those positions.

Additions should be the priority as staying in the league should make the contract extensions a lot easier.

As has been spoken about before, contract lengths are rarely disclosed.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Ballantyne's groin injury is worrying though, surgery was mentioned at one point but anyone any idea of his current progress?

Perhaps @AndyDD could ask at the pre match interviews, appreciating that Rhys might not want to say.

Spoke with Cammy for the Club 1924 Prize Draw, and he mentioned on camera that he's getting an operation on Monday. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

He was the guest for the Q&A in hospitality yesterday. As I recall he was having surgery today. 

3 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Spoke with Cammy for the Club 1924 Prize Draw, and he mentioned on camera that he's getting an operation on Monday. 

Just now, Caro-Kann said:

He was the guest for the Q&A in hospitality yesterday. As I recall he was having surgery today.

Ta much, that doesn't sound great and if the Megwa rumours are true a full back looks a priority.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Ta much, that doesn't sound great and if the Megwa rumours are true a full back looks a priority.

I seen on Instagram that Flynn Duffy has joined consilium. Don't know too much about him but according to transfermarkt he can play both left-back and right back. He doesn't look like he can break into the Dundee United team as he's only played once for them this season but he fits the profile of a player that we would be interested in.

15 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I’m led to believe McMaster signed in a new deal early on in the season, no idea how long for but was past the end of this season anyway. Agree with you on others Rae and Hannock key players to get signed up.

On 03/01/2024 at 11:20, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Firstly the performance from Airdrie against ICT was excellent, and as big Duncy said a good technical side..

Recruitment and resigning,,  firstly recruitment if Megba goes to the Hibs camp, we always have a chance of getting him back late in the window, but we have big games coming up this month can we wait for Hibs to decide,  or do we act now,  probably yes we need to source additional players to supplement and improve our weak spots,  we won't push the boat out, i am confident of that,  i expect other teams below us to "go for it" signings wise..

Resignings...   I thought it was interesting that Raith gave Murray a contract extension,  Raith know that Murray will be on the radar for another raid on the Premier League,  they will get well compensated if and when that happens...  Rhys McCabe is not at Murray's level of experience that won't stop Raith taking him off us for example if they want him,  for minimal compo,  The club has to be more forward thinking with all signing deals,  one year offers just let teams like Raith take players off us, Easton and Smith the latest, Paul Bonar if you want to go back a few years..

Under JB he got stung giving Kenny Black a multi year contract,  and then decided to slash his budget dramatically and couldn't afford to pay him off..   IMO the club now have to be proactive and keep their prize assets for as long as possible and if they do go on to bigger clubs which is fine we get decent compensation for them..