Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

13 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Had heard rumour Raith were after him but who knows. Big loss imo

That was my first thought for a non-management move. Worked with Murray before and a big chunk of the conservatory money and a move to a slightly bigger club might be appealing, especially given his age.

Would be good to get all of the staying/going info as soon as rather than drip fed so that we know how big a rebuild we are expecting to see.

The only thing that makes any sense to me here is that he’s got the chance at a player/manager role somewhere - just don’t see the Raith thing and would wonder whether from a playing perspective, he could’ve gotten something higher or, better-suited, to where he is at with us at this stage in his career.

Added to that, I would’ve thought he’d be in pole position for our manager’s job if/when Rhys were to go. 

The fact it’s been announced before the rest of the squad also makes me think it’s because wherever he’s going, he needs to move on it now - again, which adds credence to the manager role thing. 

Either way, as others have said, this is a huge loss - way bigger than Gal. Big man has been an immense servant for us.

All the best Dycey!

7 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Very strange and can't help thinking there's some underlying issue.

Not everything has to have an issue with it, but thanks for the standard doom-mongering.

Best of luck to Dycey wherever he ends up next. Five years is a long time in football and have to feel we’ve probably had him at his best… I think he could undoubtedly have done a job at a higher level during his time with us, so it’s a mark of the man that he’s stood with us to get us back to the Championship.

As others have said, Rhys speaks religiously about planning six months ahead. So hopefully this was known a while back and he’s had a chance to replace appropriately.

3 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Not everything has to have an issue with it, but thanks for the standard doom-mongering.

Perhaps not and I wouldn't have blinked an eye if it was any of the younger players, but I wouldn't expect him to get a huge playing offer at this stage of his career.

27 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Exactly what I meant a few days ago when I said we'll be shocked.

Fucking gutted

Your exile to the bowls didn't last long 😉

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Your exile to the bowls didn't last long 😉

Literally just back in from Overtown bowling club 😂 surely news of this magnitude deserves the attention.

I'm genuinely gutted, I had planned on just observing but it's burst my bubble of lifting the first silverware of the season 🥲

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Literally just back in from Overtown bowling club 😂 surely news of this magnitude deserves the attention.

I'm genuinely gutted, I had planned on just observing but it's burst my bubble of lifting the first silverware of the season 🥲

Aye,he has been our rock for years ,all the best Dycey ,very sad to say the least,

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

It does indeed, hope it didn't affect your match!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Would assume the squad update will be coming very soon with this being announced.

Would imagine it’ll come on the 1st when contacts are up. I’m glad we’ve announced this separately though, he deserved his own announcement rather than just being in amongst the other outgoings.

Edited by Diamonds02

On 24/05/2024 at 11:44, Mr November said:

Yeah that’s fair. I suppose ultimately a play-off is all about getting over the line but as you say, the dramatic way his teams have to go about winning semi-finals definitely has an effect on the finals. 

I suppose a lot of it comes down to Murray as a manager too. Given time he’s very good at building a cohesive dressing room with a great team spirit, which can be enough to pull out some big performances when under pressure, but he’s pretty limited tactically and struggles to win big games that way. I think we saw that a bit last night, and during some of our games against them this season too, as for all Raith finished strongly there wasn’t much of a clear tactical plan other than hoofing it to Hamilton while the rest of the team were stuck between pressing and sitting in an organised block.

Would not be surprised if Fordyce ends up at Raith ,  he was what they lacked, one of the main differences between the sides was our ability to play from the back,  Fordyce did this with ease,  Murray who unfairly IMO is deemed as some sort of tactical imbecile,    if rumour has it,  he has pulled this move off, with possibly more to come,  surely Murray won't be knocking on the door for Ballantyne and Telfer.....  Surely not......

Taken aback when I read this, and it leaves me wishing him the best, in another division hopefully, and pondering how it leaves our central defence and squad retention, indeed recruitment. Yes it's a wee bit till the transfer window etc but I'd want some happy news soon. 

5 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Taken aback when I read this, and it leaves me wishing him the best, in another division hopefully, and pondering how it leaves our central defence and squad retention, indeed recruitment. Yes it's a wee bit till the transfer window etc but I'd want some happy news soon. 

Yip, need to move on quickly especially given that Dycey was our only real centre back.

Obviously losing Callum as a player is a blow and it makes you wonder about Rhys but I don’t see him leaving.  Good news is that obviously RM knew this at the turn of the year (probably) and more than likely he has concrete plans in place for our new look defense.  So honestly, not overly bothered but would prefer we had a signing in his place rather than a loanee.  Definitely want some continuity in that role rather than someone who might end up in a winter break training camp in January 😖

7 minutes ago, sparkys dream said:

Had been told that Seemingly him and Rhys had a fall out after last game of season don’t know if any truth in it 

Fall out,would think they had a few fall outs and arguments over the season ,maybe just time to move on with Dycey being replaced by ATS ,just a thought,

What’s interesting is that it would appear that Dycey is part of a great partnership with Rhys, and that partnership is heading in the right direction.  Unless one of them wanted to break that partnership it seems odd that Callum wants to move along.  If they stayed together they both might be at a top flight club within a few short years.  So who knows, there may have been a falling out.  But they are cousins and I’m hoping the split is amicable.  ATS surely hot favorite to step in to that role.