Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

So 2-1 to Hamilton, Inverness staring relegation in the face at the end of the first half but recovered well, interesting 2nd leg ahead. 

Any preference as to who we want in the league next season? 🤔 Hamilton will be a better "rivalry" (🙄) and probably a bigger away support, Inverness and greetin' face Ferguson surely we wouldn't miss?! 😩 

I’d prefer Inverness I think. Hamilton would be another team trying to recruit the same small pool of players with ourselves, Morton, Ayr, Queen’s Park etc., whereas Inverness seem skint at the moment and based on January Ferguson makes quite a few unusual signings anyway. It’ll be a tough league whatever happens in both play-offs though.

47 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’d prefer Inverness I think. Hamilton would be another team trying to recruit the same small pool of players with ourselves, Morton, Ayr, Queen’s Park etc., whereas Inverness seem skint at the moment and based on January Ferguson makes quite a few unusual signings anyway. It’ll be a tough league whatever happens in both play-offs though.

Heard tonight that we will be one of the seeded teams for the group stages of the viaplay cup,  so no premier scalp for us this season....

48 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’d prefer Inverness I think

I cant decide, got to think Inverness will be better next season so maybe Hamilton the weaker of the two. Think i'd prefer Raith up and St Johnston down at the other end of the table but again not much between them. Not too bothered though as if we can keep the right people and improve in some areas we should be fine next season whoever is in the league.

13 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I cant decide, got to think Inverness will be better next season so maybe Hamilton the weaker of the two. Think i'd prefer Raith up and St Johnston down at the other end of the table but again not much between them. Not too bothered though as if we can keep the right people and improve in some areas we should be fine next season whoever is in the league.

FWIW, and yes I know it's ancient history (forgive me, but I'm old), but Hamilton & Raith both voted for Airdrie in 2002 whereas St Johnstone & ICT voted for Gretna. Ross County also voted for us and Thistle didn't vote as they were in the Premier League at the time.

I still struggle to get past this as if it had been up to the clubs who voted against us back then we likely wouldn't exist now and of course it set off the chain reaction that resulted in our buying Clydebank's place in the league (which is how I describe it). I usually like to point out when I'm on this that Rangers didn't have to face a similar vote when in a similar position to ours.

17 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

As for tonight watching the Hamilton v Inverness game, Ridgers doing a Josh Rae and coming well off his line...and punished for it in 5 minutes 😒

Doing a Josh Rae? Fucking off on holiday when (possibly soon to be former) team mates are playing? 

I'll await the red dots from the usual suspects.

1 hour ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

FWIW, and yes I know it's ancient history (forgive me, but I'm old), but Hamilton & Raith both voted for Airdrie in 2002 whereas St Johnstone & ICT voted for Gretna. Ross County also voted for us and Thistle didn't vote as they were in the Premier League at the time.

I still struggle to get past this as if it had been up to the clubs who voted against us back then we likely wouldn't exist now and of course it set off the chain reaction that resulted in our buying Clydebank's place in the league (which is how I describe it). I usually like to point out when I'm on this that Rangers didn't have to face a similar vote when in a similar position to ours.

The earlier poster who referred to me as "principled" can add "bears a grudge" to my description as I agree fully with the sentiments above. 

7 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Doing a Josh Rae? Fucking off on holiday when (possibly soon to be former) team mates are playing? 

In the last 12/18 months Josh’s dad has passed away, he’s had a bleed in the brain, god forbid he goes on holiday and misses the playoffs in which he wouldn’t be involved in. There’s more to life than football.

8 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

And here was me thinking that I was the only Airdrie fan who had taken a mental note of the cants who voted against us, and hope to see a large chunk of Karma descend upon them

3 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

And here was me thinking that I was the only Airdrie fan who had taken a mental note of the cants who voted against us, and hope to see a large chunk of Karma descend upon them

I remember sitting in Airdrie workman’s, pen in hand, listening to Jim Ballantyne and taking notes on all the clubs that voted for and against us. Still got that list… so, for me, yeah - clubs like Montrose and Hamilton will always be the favored choice over clubs like Inverness, St Johnstone etc 

some grudges will die hard but I remember Jim telling me about how the Airdrie directors were treated at some grounds on away days. Wasn’t always the case but let’s  just say we weren’t welcomed with open arms.   

So, basically, f**k them.  I say bring back the Lanarkshire derby next season 

Posted (edited)

I don't think it was a competitive reason St Johnstone would've voted for Gretna over Airdrie, as Geoff Brown was already bemoaning clubs spending well beyond their means at that point, so seeing a liquidated club start fresh with a clean slate to do it all over again would've irked him.

"Karma" arguably got us back a few years later anyway.

Edited by RandomGuy.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think it was a competitive reason St Johnstone would've voted for Gretna over Airdrie, as Geoff Brown was already bemoaning clubs spending well beyond their means at that point, so seeing a liquidated club start fresh with a clean slate to do it all over again would've irked him.

Image tagged in dad's army - Imgflip

19 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

t Hamilton & Raith both voted for Airdrie in 2002 whereas St Johnstone & ICT voted for Gretna.

That's good enough for me, hoping for a Raith and Hamilton double in the playoffs then

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The vote was simply for or against Airdrie and most club chairman were of the same mindset as Brown. Who'd have thought at the time that Gretna would rack up multiples of the debt Airdrie had in their short period in the SPFL.

Airdrie's "messy" liquidation complicated by the council owning the land of which the stadium was situated and the subsequent zero return to creditors, saved others like Livingston & Dundee from following suit despite them having astronomical debts compared to ours. 

Yes still bitter on that one.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

The vote was simply for or against Airdrie and most club chairman were of the same mindset as Brown. Who'd have thought at the time that Gretna would rack up multiples of the debt Airdrie had in their short period in the SPFL.

Airdrie's "messy" liquidation complicated by the council owning the land of which the stadium was situated and the subsequent zero return to creditors, saved others like Livingston & Dundee from following suit despite them having astronomical debts compared to ours. 

Yes still bitter on that one.

This is maybe picking off some old scabs,  but Airdrie were the first ,to go, We went straight to the Provisional Liquidation ultimately liquidated,   All other teams since then apart from Rangers went into Administration, Dundee, Motherwell , Falkirk etc  was Administration the route we should have went down instead of Prov Liquidation,   to me it's a bit of a minefield...

13 hours ago, AJ77 said:

In the last 12/18 months Josh’s dad has passed away, he’s had a bleed in the brain, god forbid he goes on holiday and misses the playoffs in which he wouldn’t be involved in. There’s more to life than football.

Man goes on holiday from his work. 

Inverness, despite the ground and the location of said ground being shit, is a much better away day than Hamilton. I also think Inverness would be worse than Accies if they stayed up. But can you really trust Accies/John Rankin/Seref/Dean Lyness? Also, while I’ve never harboured any particularly strong dislike for them, Accies would at least be something of a proper new year’s game and miles better than Inverness or Livingston. So in summary, I guess I’m not overly bothered who wins. Ceerainly pros and cons to either Inverness or Hamilton being in the league. And as long as Thistle lose I’m not overly bothered about the outcome of the Premiership play-offs either. 

31 minutes ago, Passionate said:

This is maybe picking off some old scabs,  but Airdrie were the first ,to go, We went straight to the Provisional Liquidation ultimately liquidated,   All other teams since then apart from Rangers went into Administration, Dundee, Motherwell , Falkirk etc  was Administration the route we should have went down instead of Prov Liquidation,   to me it's a bit of a minefield...

Most certainly a minefield but it could have been worse if John Boyles "Lanarkshire Utd" had came to fruition!