Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

21 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Yep, I agree but these sort of signings just look lazy and cheap to fans. Signings like Todorov, Telfer etc at least appeared to have some sort of basis 

I think it depends who else comes in and who is retained, 2-3 youngsters to develop is fine if you also bring in 2-3 experienced players to replace those who leave and then 2-3 loans on top of that. 

2 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I think it depends who else comes in and who is retained, 2-3 youngsters to develop is fine if you also bring in 2-3 experienced players to replace those who leave and then 2-3 loans on top of that. 

As you say it all depends on who comes in,  if we don't resign Telfer, Frizz etc due to them wanting competitive championship wages( don't get excited it's only hypothetical FFS(. Does that now make McMaster and Gallagher your experienced players in the side. ?? 

To be honest we don't really know anything yet,  reserve side,  under 19s., players retained,  released....

As supporters we can only comment on facts that are released by the club and make assumptions,  that's what makes football forums what they are,     

I have no issue with the club keeping a tight lid on information in and out.

I do have a huge issue with us always being among the last to announce season tickets, released lists etc

Every year, same thing.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I have no issue with the club keeping a tight lid on information in and out.

I do have a huge issue with us always being among the last to announce season tickets, released lists etc

Every year, same thing.

I wonder if the release list thing is a knock on effect from the Leighton Macintosh situation from a few years ago. We did say in the statement after it that it fundamentally changed the way we do things and make announcements in the future.

It would be nice to announce stuff earlier although not really got a massive issue with it though as we all know what it’s like to have owners that truly gave us something to complain about.

Edited by Diamonds02

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Yep, I agree but these sort of signings just look lazy and cheap to fans. Signings like Todorov, Telfer etc at least appeared to have some sort of basis 

Personally I don't think any signings are lazy which is pretty much an insult to Rhys and his staff if your suggesting they don't do their homework on these guys. I get the feeling we could announce Mbappe and Bellingham and the doom mongers would still have something to moan about. Its June 3rd man let's just see what happens. Ps just seen mbappe is going to Real so we can rule that one out 🙈😉

I spent most of last summer and the summer before that torn between worrying that we weren't getting anyone signed up on the one hand and thinking "it's only early June/the middle of June/ not even July yet" on the other.  It can be a bit frustrating not know who's in or out, and it's hard to get tremendously excited about signing unproven players I've never heard of ... but last season and the season before turned out pretty darn good.  I think Rhys has enough credit in the bank for me to trust he knows what he's doing, and I don't think there's much twiddling of thumbs going on.  Most of this is just restlessness with having no actual football to talk about, but the Euros should see me good for that for a while at least.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Signed a contract then went to Wrexham for more money, effectively ghosted the club.

He didn't sign it surely.Think he gave verbal agreement, then,bad you say, went elsewhere

Edited by AB1974

Hard to get excited about the signings so far (signing unproven kids without any certainty of a more experienced first team squad gives me the fear tbh) but won’t get too antsy until seeing the released/retained list.

Quite dislike being at the cows arse compared to every other club when it comes to this kind of stuff being announced, it almost seems to be a deliberate insult to the fans at this point.

Although last season turned out really well, would prefer not to go into next season once again with a squad that on paper ends up looking weaker than the one that just finished, especially given the increased revenue from prize money.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

I wonder if the release list thing is a knock on effect from the Leighton Macintosh situation from a few years ago. We did say in the statement after it that it fundamentally changed the way we do things and make announcements in the future.

It would be nice to announce stuff earlier although not really got a massive issue with it though as we all know what it’s like to have owners that truly gave us something to complain about.

Some good points here, had forgotten about the LM debacle.

I suppose that the biggest issue with the Season Tickets is about seizing the impetus of a great season this season and the season before. 

This time last year the club was on a massive high after the play off, if we had announced early bird season tickets the next morning we would absolutely have sold significantly more. But we left it for weeks and the momentum stalled a bit. I remember posting about the fact that I would have bought one the day after the Hamilton game on pure euphoria even though I knew due to shift commitments I likely couldn't make at least 5/6 games this season. By the time they went on sale my calmer head had taken over and it made no sense.

Same again this year, if we had announced them after going out of the play offs following our best finish in a long time then people would have got swept along. But again, couple of weeks later and nothing. I think we are one of only two clubs in the championship with season tickets not out yet.

These are real basic fundamental mistakes.

I know the board are doing many things the right way, but this isn't one of them. This just seems like bad organisation.

Edited by cb_diamond

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Some good points here, had forgotten about the LM debacle.

I suppose that the biggest issue with the Season Tickets is about seizing the impetus of a great season this season and the season before. 

This time last year the club was on a massive high after the play off, if we had announced early bird season tickets the next morning we would absolutely have sold significantly more. But we left it for weeks and the momentum stalled a bit. I remember posting about the fact that I would have bought one the day after the Hamilton game on pure euphoria even though I knew due to shift commitments I likely couldn't make at least 5/6 games this season. By the time they went on sale my calmer head had taken over and it made no sense.

Same again this year, if we had announced them after going out of the play offs following our best finish in a long time then people would have got swept along. But again, couple of weeks later and nothing. I think we are one of only two clubs in the championship with season tickets not out yet.

These are real basic fundamental mistakes.

I know the board are doing many things the right way, but this isn't one of them. This just seems like bad organisation.

The perfect timing to announce season tickets on sale was the announcement of McCabe's contract extension, having the manager sign a contract extension is probably the best piece of business we'll do this summer.

It's quite simple, you either back McCabes judgement or you don't.

Personally, judging by his tactics and style of play, I'm backing him and if it all goes tits up, then it has been a great journey.

3 hours ago, Glasgow Diamond said:

Personally I don't think any signings are lazy which is pretty much an insult to Rhys and his staff if your suggesting they don't do their homework on these guys. I get the feeling we could announce Mbappe and Bellingham and the doom mongers would still have something to moan about. Its June 3rd man let's just see what happens. Ps just seen mbappe is going to Real so we can rule that one out 🙈😉

Having a look at last years first team squad and the young players we've signed on permanent deals:

Hancock, McStravick, McMaster, McGregor - very decent.                                                                                                                                                              Gallagher, Dunlop & Hemfrey - not so.

If we go to the loanees:

Megwa, Aiken Lyall - again decent.                                                                                                                                                                                                      O'Connor & Donnell - no real impact.

Of course, just my opinion but overall I would say the Manager has a done not too bad. The focus has been on the 2 young lads as they're the only signings to date so lets hope we get the experienced players announced shortly.

What about Josh Rae? Nothing official or any rumours on the socials but it seems most fans are resigned to him leaving.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Having a look at last years first team squad and the young players we've signed on permanent deals:

Hancock, McStravick, McMaster, McGregor - very decent.                                                                                                                                                              Gallagher, Dunlop & Hemfrey - not so.

If we go to the loanees:

Megwa, Aiken Lyall - again decent.                                                                             

What about Josh Rae? Nothing official or any rumours on the socials but it seems most fans are resigned to him leaving.

I had heard he was going to Dundee Utd. Murray Johnston replacing him

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

If we go to the loanees:

Megwa, Aiken Lyall - again decent.                                                                                                                                                                                                      O'Connor & Donnell - no real impact.

Of course, just my opinion but overall I would say the Manager has a done not too bad. The focus has been on the 2 young lads as they're the only signings to date so lets hope we get the experienced players announced shortly.

Agree with most of this but to be fair Gallagher and Dunlop didn't get many minutes........ hemfrey came into a difficult situation and did OK compared to a couple of bombscares we've had in the past. I just don't get the panic until we know what's happening but I think teams will definitely be looking to get some talent to us on loan 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Shouldn't be a big fuss it's surely evident he won't be a regular starter and most bit likely be starting on the bench for majority of the season unless he shows something when he's given a chance. 

I'm sure it was the same when Dunlop was announced last year, pure panic as if a 17 year old was going to start for us every week.

I think this is partly a function of the way that all signings are announced in the same way on social media, which can give the impression that they are all 'proper' signings, when in reality guys like Dunlop and Reid were/are your cheap, young squad filler who you try and develop.

The wider issue of negativity over lack of signings is also social media/internet based I think. 20+ years ago fans switched off after the season and most wouldn't give much thought to what their own club was doing until pre-season started, let alone what other clubs were doing. Now from late May it's in every fan's faces that (seemingly) every other club is signing players, while panicking because we (seemingly) aren't. I said it all last summer and will probably say it all this summer, I'll judge our summer signings a few games into the season when I see our squad and our early performances. The criticism about lack of early signings and their announcements is just not something that I can get on board with, for the reasons which others have covered.

One thing I definitely agree with most fans on is the late sale of season tickets. With signings you can't announce anything until a player agrees, but season tickets should be arranged weeks in advance of the season ending and ready to go whenever suits best. As has been mentioned, straight after the play-offs, or tie it in with McCabe re-signing. I have a bit more sympathy if you get promoted or relegated and need to change prices considerably, but that didn't happen this season and even if it did you should have a plan in place, it certainly shouldn't take weeks and weeks. I can't get my head around why they are so slow with that.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

100% agree, season tickets should have been out last season a day or 2 after the play off final and this season well before now.  My brother has picked and choosed his games over the last 10 years went to 1 game season past...home playoff v Thistle....said there and then at FT that he would get a season ticket.......hasn't mentioned it for a while now, it wears off and he probably won't now..... I will pester him but he would have bought it by now if we were on the ball.

47 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

If we go to the loanees:

And the manager is pissing with the Cock that he has!