Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree totally,  only issue for Lyall may be wages,  his Rangers wage would be much higher than we could afford..

No mention of ATS or Hutts yet either,   ATS is currently the only qualified coach at the club if indeed he is still there..

Both been offered there coaching positions again, not sure whether the playing bit is involved though.

This is very worrying as it looks like Frizzell, Rae, Ballantyne & Telfer are considering moving on, bearing in mind that we claim to be planning 6 months in advance and talks would have been ongoing for quite a while. I've mentioned before but I wonder if there is a moral issue with Fordyce leaving.

Glad the list is out at last. Nothing too surprising here, I expected Gabby to be away and although I’ve been a big fan it’s probably the right time for him to go. I just hope he gets a decent move somewhere and doesn’t end up at one of our rivals and come back to haunt us. 

Think the only ‘big’ players we’re waiting for are Rae, Ballantyne, Telfer and Frizz so expect maybe a couple of them will get better offers elsewhere. If Rae goes I hope the rumours about Murray Johnson are correct as I think he is a class act. 

Of the loanees I can’t see Megwa coming back, much as I would like to. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Murray Aiken and/or Arron Lyall back next season though, both would have something to offer. 

Guess we just continue to wait and see, hopefully Rhys has a few other names on his list. 

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

This is very worrying as it looks like Frizzell, Rae, Ballantyne & Telfer are considering moving on, bearing in mind that we claim to be planning 6 months in advance and talks would have been ongoing for quite a while. I've mentioned before but I wonder if there is a moral issue with Fordyce leaving.

Maybe, though in that piece in the paper about the League Cup draw it certainly seemed like Frizzell expected to be here next season, and that was about ten days after it was announced Dicey was away.

1 minute ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Maybe, though in that piece in the paper about the League Cup draw it certainly seemed like Frizzell expected to be here next season, and that was about ten days after it was announced Dicey was away.

Perhaps, but obviously hasn't signed yet and holidays wouldn't hinder a signature in today's digital age.

45 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Both been offered there coaching positions again, not sure whether the playing bit is involved though.

If the rumour mill is to be believed ATS has been offered assistant... 

30 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I have a funny feeling telfer won't be playing in a diamond next year but that's purely in my head. I think frizz will stay and Rae moving on might depend on a medical report....

59 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Are you confident that Frizz, Telfer and Cammy will be resign for this season 

Literally nothing in that announcement that couldn't have been made 3 weeks ago. Which suggests they were hoping to have Frizz, Telfer etc tied up before making the announcement rather than alert everyone to the fact they are having to haggle with them, but it's dragged on a bit and they realised they couldn't wait any longer.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Literally nothing in that announcement that couldn't have been made 3 weeks ago. Which suggests they were hoping to have Frizz, Telfer etc tied up before making the announcement rather than alert everyone to the fact they are having to haggle with them, but it's dragged on a bit and they realised they couldn't wait any longer.

Pay them the going rate, they are proven players and we need them,  if we don't I will guarantee you Ian Murray will..

Gutted about Gabby. Been one of my favourite players of this era and might well end up being my favourite when I look back upon this time in years to come. A lot of the time when you speak about a player’s work rate and passion, it’s either ‘birthday caird pish’ or you’re disguising the fact that they’re not very good. But McGill managed to combine both of these facets with ability, to become an effective forward in League 1 and the Championship, and his love for the club was transparent and infectious. You can’t help tear up a little when you watch back that goal and celebration against Accies. But Gabby wasn’t just a passion merchant. The Hamilton goal is the obvious one but he scored a lot of important goals in his time for us that shouldn’t be forgotten. Everyone talks about Smith and Afolabi’s contributions against Montrose. But actually, it was Gabby who scored the decisive goal in that game. The early goal against Cove where if we’d just managed to hold out we might have went on to win the league. The 7th in the play-off semi-final against Falkirk. Which really wasn’t decisive but it felt like it was at the time 😂 The winner in our first win back in the Championship and first win against Thistle in fucking ages. The equaliser against Thistle in the play-offs with one arm hanging off. And maybe less headline grabbing but he scored in 3 of our 4 Tuesday night away wins which were clearly instrumental in us making the play-offs. Got that late equaliser against Clyde in 21/22 which was important at the time, and he scored a hat-trick. Add all of that, plus making his Airdrie debut in a win against Motherwell and he ticks all of my boxes. 

Wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career. If he’s chosen to go back down south, or indeed anywhere that suits him/his family/his bank balance better than fair enough I can’t argue with that. If it’s a club decision though then, as much I understand the injury issues, I think it’d be a shame if we can’t find a spot for him in an Airdrie Championship squad. We need a better starting #9 but we need a good depth of forward options. Will we get a much better alternative/squad forward, for much cheaper or the same wage, than Gabby McGill? I’m not sure! 

All the best Gabby. I’ll remember that goal at Hamilton forever ♦️

Can’t be overly surprised that your better players haven’t immediately jumped at the chance to stay if they have other offers on the table. Would be surprised if we weren’t looking at a couple of them.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can’t be overly surprised that your better players haven’t immediately jumped at the chance to stay if they have other offers on the table. Would be surprised if we weren’t looking at a couple of them.

Telfer is on Murdy's stag...

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Pay them the going rate, they are proven players and we need them,  if we don't I will guarantee you Ian Murray will

Very much this. Need to decide whether we are serious about etablising ourselves in the Championship or whether we want to run the risk of starting again every season, not saying we should (or indeed can) match teams for wages in terms of overall budget but we should be going all out to secure key players and at least to of Telfer, Frizz and Balantyne are now crucial.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not going to lie. I can almost players going to raith but moving to Ayr would be a kick in the balls. Dont see that as a step up

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Gutted about Gabby. Been one of my favourite players of this era and might well end up being my favourite when I look back upon this time in years to come. A lot of the time when you speak about a player’s work rate and passion, it’s either ‘birthday caird pish’ or you’re disguising the fact that they’re not very good. But McGill managed to combine both of these facets with ability, to become an effective forward in League 1 and the Championship, and his love for the club was transparent and infectious. You can’t help tear up a little when you watch back that goal and celebration against Accies. But Gabby wasn’t just a passion merchant. The Hamilton goal is the obvious one but he scored a lot of important goals in his time for us that shouldn’t be forgotten. Everyone talks about Smith and Afolabi’s contributions against Montrose. But actually, it was Gabby who scored the decisive goal in that game. The early goal against Cove where if we’d just managed to hold out we might have went on to win the league. The 7th in the play-off semi-final against Falkirk. Which really wasn’t decisive but it felt like it was at the time 😂 The winner in our first win back in the Championship and first win against Thistle in fucking ages. The equaliser against Thistle in the play-offs with one arm hanging off. And maybe less headline grabbing but he scored in 3 of our 4 Tuesday night away wins which were clearly instrumental in us making the play-offs. Got that late equaliser against Clyde in 21/22 which was important at the time, and he scored a hat-trick. Add all of that, plus making his Airdrie debut in a win against Motherwell and he ticks all of my boxes. 

Wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career. If he’s chosen to go back down south, or indeed anywhere that suits him/his family/his bank balance better than fair enough I can’t argue with that. If it’s a club decision though then, as much I understand the injury issues, I think it’d be a shame if we can’t find a spot for him in an Airdrie Championship squad. We need a better starting #9 but we need a good depth of forward options. Will we get a much better alternative/squad forward, for much cheaper or the same wage, than Gabby McGill? I’m not sure! 

All the best Gabby. I’ll remember that goal at Hamilton forever ♦️

Definitely feel like it might be his own decision was meant to be away last season but stayed as he wanted a shot at the championship