Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Posted (edited)

Sad to see Gabby go, although more for the memories of the big goals he scored rather than because I think it's the wrong decision.

I've said before I just feel he's one of those players who will always have injuries. Anyone can have an ACL injury or similar, but he seems to just pick up lots of random ones right up until his last game when he was subbed at HT as he clearly wasn't fit to play because of his shoulder. He's had 77 starts and 29 sub appearances in 3 seasons. Although he's probably been subbed off as many times as subbed on, so if you calculated the amount of minutes on the pitch I think it would be around equivalent to 80 odd games. That's 26/27 games a season, and with the play-offs we've had upwards of 45 games each season. Plus he's one of those players who needs a run of games to get going, so even a chunk of those games he isn't as effective if he's coming back from injuries. I might be reading too much into it and he'll maybe have a run of a few seasons injury free, which is why part of me was keen to see him stay another season and see if he could have a good run at it, but overall given he's one of our bigger earners I'm not convinced he'll be value for money. Wish him all the best and hope he's able to replicate his form of last season, assuming he's not staying up here!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

19 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not going to lie. I can almost players going to raith but moving to Ayr would be a kick in the balls. Dont see that as a step up

Fans can’t really judge if it’s a step up or not. Given the inconsistency of this league there’s absolutely nothing to say our positions won’t be swapped next season. 

Players will go to clubs where they are getting a better wage and where they perceive the most success to come. Because we’ve already made a few really good signings, players might look at that and see a club that’s challenging for the playoffs. 

We’ve all said for a while that we need a proper #9. But that’s also now 16 goals between Gal and Gabby we’re going to have to replace. So our forward recruitment is even more important now. Hope you’re good David Fisher!

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

We’ve all said for a while that we need a proper #9. But that’s also now 16 goals between Gal and Gabby we’re going to have to replace. So our forward recruitment is even more important now. Hope you’re good David Fisher!

Add to that Fordyce's goals.

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fans can’t really judge if it’s a step up or not. Given the inconsistency of this league there’s absolutely nothing to say our positions won’t be swapped next season. 

Players will go to clubs where they are getting a better wage and where they perceive the most success to come. Because we’ve already made a few really good signings, players might look at that and see a club that’s challenging for the playoffs. 

I guess it would be disappointing if ayr were offering more than us! 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Not going to lie. I can almost players going to raith but moving to Ayr would be a kick in the balls. Dont see that as a step up

A polite reminder that we have been in the Championship for one season. Before that a decade in the seaside league playing in front of two men and their dug.

Ayr have been in the Championship regularly (with the prize money that goes with it), have better attendances than us and a nice shiny new hospitality suite, of course it’s a step up. They also offered George Oakley 50% more than Morton’s offer (c. £1800 a week)… there’s no way we can match that at current. Of course it’s a step up.

We’ve probably been quite fortunate that we can sell players “a project” under an exciting young manager but we’ve now lost our assistant manager (and physio) and don’t really have a back room set up to speak of. We’ve only just got a bronze license because of the good fortune of ATS being our qualified coach, for example. From the outside it might be that established Championship players look at us and go “ya know what… I’m just not sure…”.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

A polite reminder that we have been in the Championship for one season. Before that a decade in the seaside league playing in front of two men and their dug.

Ayr have been in the Championship regularly (with the prize money that goes with it), have better attendances than us and a nice shiny new hospitality suite, of course it’s a step up. They also offered George Oakley 50% more than Morton’s offer (c. £1800 a week)… there’s no way we can match that at current. Of course it’s a step up.

We’ve probably been quite fortunate that we can sell players “a project” under an exciting young manager but we’ve now lost our assistant manager (and physio) and don’t really have a back room set up to speak of. We’ve only just got a bronze license because of the good fortune of ATS being our qualified coach, for example. From the outside it might be that established Championship players look at us and go “ya know what… I’m just not sure…”.

Surely to god no one is paying George Oakley anywhere near that much? That's insanity if true but I can't see it.

Edited by cb_diamond

8 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Surely to god no one is paying George Oakley anywhere near that much? That's insanity if true but I can't see it.

They aren’t.

It’ll be around the £1000 mark. 

11 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

If you believe that George Oakley is on 1800 a week, then I have some magic beans that are a great investment if you wish to purchase them. 

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

Are you confident that Frizz, Telfer and Cammy will be resign for this season 

Frizz and cammy yes, telfer not so much.

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Definitely feel like it might be his own decision was meant to be away last season but stayed as he wanted a shot at the championship 

Gabby wasn’t offered a new deal. Whether he would’ve turned it down or stayed is another question but McCabe was against giving him a new deal.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

If you believe that George Oakley is on 1800 a week, then I have some magic beans that are a great investment if you wish to purchase them. 

The figure may not be exact but I think the overall point of Ayr being able to completely out spend us is provably true.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Very much this. Of the teams in the championship next season all of them, with the possible exception of Morton and Hamilton, will be offering more wages and on paper more of a chance of promotion. We can still be competitive and maybe pay a bit more for a player but on average we are in the bottom 3 in terms of wages so hardly surprising if we lose some of our better players. 

42 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

The figure may not be exact but I think the overall point of Ayr being able to completely out spend us is provably true.

Yeah I agree. Just seen a lot of nonsense banded about how much we’ve offer players etc. Oakley will probably be on roughly half if not just over half of what was quoted earlier. Not everyone or most of who we go for/sign will be in that wage bracket though. We simply just couldn’t afford to do that. We’ve obviously pushed  the boat out for him. 

It’s obviously not ideal to lose key players, or even regular starters, but it’s happened every summer for the last few years. In 2021 we lost Leon McCann and Kyle Turner, 2022 was Dylan Easton and Scott Agnew, 2023 was Callum Smith and Justin Devenny and obviously a few already this summer. Just the reality of having one of the smaller full-time budgets unfortunately.

This summer might be a bigger rebuild than I was hoping for though. We’ve largely had the same core for a few years now, adding a few starters every summer with Fordyce and Gallagher as the spine for five years, but whatever happens with the out of contract players it does feel like this might be the start of the next Airdrie team. Watson, McCabe and potentially Frizzell will be the only players still here from the Ian Murray days. 

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is that just your hunch or a bit of the mood music going around,  

Bit of both, he'll have been offered more wages elsewhere that we can't compete with.