Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I know some people had mentioned Dylan Corr as a potential signing but looks like he’s off to Morton.

Disappointed Airdrie didn’t go for him. Morton have made some solid signings so far on paper.

51 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Disappointed Airdrie didn’t go for him. Morton have made some solid signings so far on paper.

Maybe you did??

We've made 5 signings( assuming Corr signs) and all seem like good pieces of business. Time will tell but aye its promising.

Certainly in a much better state than we were a week or two ago.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Maybe you did??

We've made 5 signings( assuming Corr signs) and all seem like good pieces of business. Time will tell but aye its promising.

You may be right, it’s entirely possible and probable that we did go in for him but it may have purely come down to money since we have a good reputation of developing players. So I think it’s clear to see that Morton are operating on a higher budget (re Ballantyne) but I guess the development aspect is the ace up our sleeve and I wouldn’t be surprised if McMaster and Hancock are being scouted by bigger clubs although I’m praying they aren’t. Looking forward to seeing them next season and of course money for each player would be welcome but could we replace them with better players in each position? Unlikely.  And it further breaks up last years team - but that’s football 

3 hours ago, madton said:

Maybe you did??

* 6 if Corr signs.

Just me that wouldn't be too bothered if McMaster left and we got a decent fee for him? I know Aiken only here till January currently but I don't think there's much between the 2. If we got a 6 figure fee for Deano I'd see that as very good business from the club.

11 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Just me that wouldn't be too bothered if McMaster left and we got a decent fee for him? I know Aiken only here till January currently but I don't think there's much between the 2. If we got a 6 figure fee for Deano I'd see that as very good business from the club.

Mate, if we got offered 6 figures for any of our players, I'd take it 😂

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Mate, if we got offered 6 figures for any of our players, I'd take it 😂

I know what you mean but was getting at would rather lose him than Hancock and would probably rather lose Hancock on a free next summer if it means he gets the full season here.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I know what you mean but was getting at would rather lose him than Hancock and would probably rather lose Hancock on a free next summer if it means he gets the full season here.

Aye I know what you're getting at mate, I'd probably rather have Hancock as (imo only btw!) I don't see any (additional) investment in the actual playing squad happening. I wouldn't mind if we'd sign a couple of (proven at this level) players on the back of any sale, but I just don't see that happening tbh.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Aye I know what you're getting at mate, I'd probably rather have Hancock as (imo only btw!) I don't see any (additional) investment in the actual playing squad happening. I wouldn't mind if we'd sign a couple of (proven at this level) players on the back of any sale, but I just don't see that happening tbh.

The narrative of recruiting young discarded players mostly and giving them a second chance is 'working'.   But unless some of the income is reinvested it could be pretty short term,     and will only be an issue as long as McCabe is here, he goes and this whole process goes up in smoke..  

McMaster who Rhys has moulded probably into a young version of himself could now be next to go,  Good luck if so.. as mentioned previously he isn't too hard to replace...   Aiken although young is very similar in ability and more progressive....   Does anybody see Gallagher as the next big thing......

The main player we must try and keep is Mason Hancock he has the ingredients of a player for a higher level,     I always thought signing 18 yo Cammy Bruce was an unusual signing nothing against the lad, but would he keep Mason out the team,   but let's be honest here he isn't swapping Hampden to tread the boards up the Rawyards on a Sunday morning ....

20 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I wouldn't mind if we'd sign a couple of (proven at this level) players on the back of any sale, but I just don't see that happening tbh.

This is where I’m at. I was hoping for perhaps one or two proven Championship signings just to consolidate the squad a bit, but I’ve said previously how it doesn’t fit the “model”.

This is about where I think we are so far… still needing a wing back and a centre half of course, and adding Wilson as is widely rumoured I think would see us in really good nick.

7 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Whilst I'm not a fan of McMaster he did improve  mid season onwards notably after the Manager made a couple of comments about encouraging him to be more positive and its no surprise to anyone that Hancock is attracting interest.

Having said that, we really can't afford to lose anymore players as its virtually impossible to progress.

I have 2 schools of thought on this though:

Will the turnover of players piss off the manager?

Or is he on a McNamara Dundee Utd type deal where he receives a cut of transfer deals?

37 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The narrative of recruiting young discarded players mostly and giving them a second chance is 'working'.   But unless some of the income is reinvested it could be pretty short term,     and will only be an issue as long as McCabe is here, he goes and this whole process goes up in smoke..  

McMaster who Rhys has moulded probably into a young version of himself could now be next to go,  Good luck if so.. as mentioned previously he isn't too hard to replace...   Aiken although young is very similar in ability and more progressive....   Does anybody see Gallagher as the next big thing......

The main player we must try and keep is Mason Hancock he has the ingredients of a player for a higher level,     I always thought signing 18 yo Cammy Bruce was an unusual signing nothing against the lad, but would he keep Mason out the team,   but let's be honest here he isn't swapping Hampden to tread the boards up the Rawyards on a Sunday morning ....

Not really but could see him playing the McMaster role, lacks pace but looks to have good football brain.

14 hours ago, madton said:

Maybe you did??

Nah we didn't make an offer for him. We would have had him if we did. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst I'm not a fan of McMaster he did improve  mid season onwards notably after the Manager made a couple of comments about encouraging him to be more positive and its no surprise to anyone that Hancock is attracting interest.

Having said that, we really can't afford to lose anymore players as its virtually impossible to progress.

I have 2 schools of thought on this though:

Will the turnover of players piss off the manager?

Or is he on a McNamara Dundee Utd type deal where he receives a cut of transfer deals?

To answer your last 2 points..

No

Yes

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Are these ITK answers or thoughts?

Sorry I should have expanded on your questions,   Just my thoughts nothing ITK I can assure you..

I don't think Rhys will worry too much about a turnover of players, it is the price of relative success at our level,  transfers, moving on to Premier teams etc,  and it opens doors for other opportunities..

The second point is to be fair we have had only one transfer fee for Devenney so far,  the rest are rumoured...   I will add and it is only my opinion most of our squad are signed up by consilium sports,  who will get an agents cut in all transfers generated and employees for them will be on commission...  I hope I have answered that diplomatically...

23 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Sorry I should have expanded on your questions,   Just my thoughts nothing ITK I can assure you..

I don't think Rhys will worry too much about a turnover of players, it is the price of relative success at our level,  transfers, moving on to Premier teams etc,  and it opens doors for other opportunities..

The second point is to be fair we have had only one transfer fee for Devenney so far,  the rest are rumoured...   I will add and it is only my opinion most of our squad are signed up by consilium sports,  who will get an agents cut in all transfers generated and employees for them will be on commission...  I hope I have answered that diplomatically...

I concur with the second point and you could argue he deserves a cut for making the club money but if he gets the turnover of players wrong, we get relegated, his stock drops, he might get classed as a flash in the pan.

Anyway, lets hope there are no more departures.