Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Please stop worrying troops, the signing of Dunlop will most likely be for the reserves. McCabe and the board aren’t stupid, they will know exactly what is required in bid to stay in this league. I highly doubt the board would have worked this hard for the last 5 years for promotion, only to throw the towel in and only sign young boys now that we’re finally here. Trust the process, the “quality” signings will come ♦️

18 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Euan Deveney signs for Alloa, opinions ?

oh and a belated congratulations on your promotion 

good luck and stay ther please .   🙂

Deveney was a frustrating player last season but also one with a lot of potential, who did a good job overall and played his part in us getting promoted. He was probably our most improved player from the start-end of the season and clearly benefited from playing regular first team football. I'd say he's better going forward than he is at defending. He gets himself into space well, can go up and down the park and can put in a brilliant cross and has a decent shot on him too. Defensively, I thought he struggled at times. I don't have any stats to back this up but it felt at points of the season that almost every goal we conceded came down his side. He'd often get beat far too easily, fail to stop a cross or just make the wrong decision. Equally, at times I thought he was one of our better or more reliable defenders (largely because most of our defence were rubbish for large parts of last season). He can be inconsistent from game-to-game but also even in moments within games. Like he'll get the ball and do the hard part well - beat 2 or 3 players, nutmeg another then inexplicably kick the ball out behind him with nobody around him. 

That probably reads more negative than I'd like as I do like him as a player and I thought he'd be a decent signing for most if not every team in League 1. As I said above, his improvement over the course of the season was great to see and he'd have been a genuine contender for YPotY had he not lost his place to Cammy Ballantyne. For Rice's faults he's clearly well thought of as a coach. If Deveney can get another full-season at left-back I believe he'll continue to develop and be one of the better left-backs in in the league. All the best to him. Can't fault him for effort or hard work. 

55 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

That's all fine and well as long as it doesn't take from the first team budget and we are going to give contracts that suggest we will be able to get a fee other than the shambolic development fees. We have to remember we are a newly promoted team that should be focusing on survival, once that's achieved consilidation and building should be next. These type of signings and the chat that comes with them scream of running before we can walk. 

I absolutely concur but was only pointing out what I believe our current club structure is.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

It has been mooted before that the club are attempting to develop younger players and move them on for dosh so I can only imagine the signing of Dunlop is with this in mind and that the "quality" signings are still to come.

Hopefully. Also I will happily eat my words if the lad turns out to be decent. My big gripe, as I mentioned, is just about the honking timing of yesterday's story backed up by this being the very next thing out of the club signing wise.

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Hopefully. Also I will happily eat my words if the lad turns out to be decent. My big gripe, as I mentioned, is just about the honking timing of yesterday's story backed up by this being the very next thing out of the club signing wise.

I think that sums up my feelings.  I'm not raging at the boy being signed, it was the timing and the fanfare of "Quality additions" and then the pen for 1:30............ and then folk (on twitter!) lapping it up saying that's our winger problems solved!

I hate closed season.

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think that sums up my feelings.  I'm not raging at the boy being signed, it was the timing and the fanfare of "Quality additions" and then the pen for 1:30............ and then folk (on twitter!) lapping it up saying that's our winger problems solved!

I hate closed season.

I did have a good chuckle at the Twitter teens creaking themselves over this one. They're nothing if not consistent in their boundless enthusiasm. 

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

I did have a good chuckle at the Twitter teens creaking themselves over this one. They're nothing if not consistent in their boundless enthusiasm. 

And d'you know what, I hope they never lose that enthusiasm for the team, even if it pains my eyes reading it but I'm just a grumpy c*nt now tbf

8 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And d'you know what, I hope they never lose that enthusiasm for the team, even if it pains my eyes reading it but I'm just a grumpy c*nt now tbf

Ditto, first walk down the stairs these days sounds like someone's just fired the milk into Rice krispies. Bah humbug etc etc

Edited by cb_diamond

22 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Yeah, I hope if any of them do ever read here they know no one is actually annoyed by it. It’s great to have young fans so enthusiastic about the club, even if they are very hyperbolic and excitable compared to us. I don’t agree with a lot of what they say but I can’t fault their enthusiasm.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, I hope if any of them do ever read here they know no one is actually annoyed by it. It’s great to have young fans so enthusiastic about the club, even if they are very hyperbolic and excitable compared to us. I don’t agree with a lot of what they say but I can’t fault their enthusiasm.

This, This and This

Any support is good support, and I'd rather read screaming teenagers ecstatic about a 17 year old signing than the doom and gloom we've had for the last 15+ years!

Just caught up on the last few pages of this thread and jings, crivens, help ma boab. If the FB and twitter posters are seen as the enthused, then the people on here are starting to sound like the euthanised. 😂

McCabe said he understands the need to add quality to the squad. He's also said there's some potential deals agreed, but they'll need finalised. That doesn't mean the next name mentioned has to be that big name, quality signing. I think we all know he doesn't include Dunlop in that and yes, whilst I want us to build a squad for the here and now, there's nothing wrong with also having one eye on the future. 

Justin D showed last season that youth can progress and become starters for us. Hopefully the likes of McMaster, Dunlop etc. show they too can step up and do a job, be it this season or further down the line. 

It's undoubtedly the strongest preseason squad we've started with in years, this early on. And there's plenty time to add to it. McCabe and the board deserve the opportunity to do that and I believe they will. Rhys ain't daft and he won't want us to be cannon fodder. I'm confident that in a month's time we will all be pretty happy with the additions that are yet to come. 

Oh and by the way, we're in the Championship! ♦️😎♦️

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Hope your ok?

https://www.airdriefc.com/2324-news/230621/senior-deal-for-academy-star-kavanagh

9 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Did someone not mention we have a reserve team this year? If so we would need to man up a little on the numbers not that I would necessarily agree with given we have the youth team as well.

It has been mooted before that the club are attempting to develop younger players and move them on for dosh so I can only imagine the signing of Dunlop is with this in mind and that the "quality" signings are still to come.

Last years youth team only 6 have been kept on still have a 18s team but will have a lot more new boys in it and most of the 18s that were in the bench have stayed aswell for that level as they were all still 16year olds 

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Last years youth team only 6 have been kept on still have a 18s team but will have a lot more new boys in it and most of the 18s that were in the bench have stayed aswell for that level as they were all still 16year olds 

Don’t keep us waiting - what’s happening with Bright?