Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

It's a shame that Dycey left as he is exactly the player we are now short off. If he was still there I'd be pretty happy with how the squad has shaped up.

Has any more light been shed on what caused his sudden departure? Was Rhys intending to replace him as assistant manager with ATS so he could concentrate 100% on playing and keeping fit?

22 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Is there any news on where Megwa is going next season, presume he'll be out on loan again?

Heard Hibs want him to sign a new contract to add 2 years into his one year contract and then loan him out for this season so he’s starting every game. I know Thistle are interested and apparently that’s his favoured choice out of all the clubs interested. Would make sense for him to go to them as they’ve not replaced McMillian yet. 

On 03/07/2024 at 15:27, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

What position does Mochrie usually play if anyone knows? I know he’s an attacking player but I’m not sure if he’s more of a 10, wide player, or striker? I still think we could do with adding someone that can play up front or in wide areas so I’d be happy if we signed him to play around there.

Would definitely still say centre back should be the priority. I think most of us felt we could have done with another one last season and since then we’ve replaced Fordyce with Wilson so it’s really the same situation. Would still bite your hand off for Megwa at the end of September even if we had 10 right backs on the books.

CM CAM LM RM or just off the front man. Played mostly CM , CAM or CF for us last season, scored some very important goals while playing just off .

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

1 year deal for Telfer at County.

GRt0x0cWcAA6ILx?format=jpg&name=small

Fair play to him, it seemed like the East Kilbride trajectory was a real possibility for him when he left Falkirk and it’s strange to think back to him not even being part of our best 11 in the promotion winning season. Outstanding last season and merits a move upwards. It’ll be interesting to see whether last season was a fluke or if he’s able to repeat those standards, which he’s never really done throughout his career.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’ll be interesting to see whether last season was a fluke or if he’s able to repeat those standards, which he’s never really done throughout his career.

Perhaps that's County's view as well hence the 1 year contract.

Kieran Wright seems a strange signing when we already have a loan keeper, and arguably a waste of a loan spot, but good to have two actual first team keepers. I’m guessing the Consilium boy hasn’t impressed this week.

Still think we need more in wide areas,  Bala not for me,   need better,  whatever midfield we pick it looks like being very narrow,  that's fine if you are winning,  but against teams with a low block it gets very difficult to play through..

Does anybody see possibly the best and highest paid player in the league play this season,    Rhys McCabe that is...

Two loan goalies is a bit of a strange way of doing it. But Wright seems decent enough, is better than Oran Donnelly and, at 25, Rangers probably won’t even remember who he is never mind want him to start every week. Good to have a proper backup option sorted in any case. 

44 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Still think we need more in wide areas,  Bala not for me,   need better,  whatever midfield we pick it looks like being very narrow,  that's fine if you are winning,  but against teams with a low block it gets very difficult to play through..

Does anybody see possibly the best and highest paid player in the league play this season,    Rhys McCabe that is...

Yes, in a back 3 especially if we don't sign another centre back.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Kieran Wright seems a strange signing when we already have a loan keeper, and arguably a waste of a loan spot, but good to have two actual first team keepers. I’m guessing the Consilium boy hasn’t impressed this week.

Could see Wright as more of a longer-term option, despite being 6 years older than Johnson. Can’t rule out Hibs doing something daft, but by all accounts he’s seen as a future Hibs #1. Meanwhile, Wright will, surely, leave Rangers whenever his contract expires. 

27 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Could see Wright as more of a longer-term option, despite being 6 years older than Johnson. Can’t rule out Hibs doing something daft, but by all accounts he’s seen as a future Hibs #1. Meanwhile, Wright will, surely, leave Rangers whenever his contract expires. 

That was the way I read this… back up to Johnson but with the possibility of being his replacement next summer when Johnson heads back to Hibs.  Checked with a mate who knows the goings on at Rangers and although they think this boy has potential they want him playing as much as possible but the feeling is a new contract is unlikely to be offered.  He’s currently on a 2 year deal ending next year. Unlikely to be recalled during the season unless disaster strikes at Ibrox 

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/kieran-wright-signs-new-rangers-contract-1/2FLuTpHG6AYhmW74VWjHix