Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I felt on Saturday that Mochrie showed some good stuff with some great passes and linked well with the short pass and move style. He looks like he could play a number 10 behind Wilson pushing nice little passes through to him.  Looks like we are going to have another season of very watchable football and the plan has to be to get the ball to Wilson in the box at every opportunity. There was one case in point where Frizz shot straight at the keeper from the edge of the box but a nice short pass to the on rushing Wilson would have left him with a tap in.

Agree Mochrie did play well, he is technically very good,  and IMO will be a starter,   a few round about me in the stand lets just say, aren't convinced ....   

We have the makings of a decent team and the squad quality wise is deeper again this season...

27 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Cold have a front three if Ben Wilson, Nico Williams and Kylian Mbappe and the same few wouldn’t be convinced.

I'm reminded - as so often - of being in the pie queue at half time after Jerome Vareille had scored four goals in a 14 minute spell against Stenny, and hearing a guy saying to his pal, "Aye, but what can he do apart fae scoring goals?"  I think it was then that I realised that some folk just can't be reached.

On 28/07/2024 at 20:48, Jack Reed said:

No Simon Murray again ,🙈🙈

Hoping it's the hottest day of the year and the ginger c**t melts like a magnum in the car,     Big Aidan is marking him as well,  this could get ugly pretty quickly if the sun shines....

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Hoping it's the hottest day of the year and the ginger c**t melts like a magnum in the car,     Big Aidan is marking him as well,  this could get ugly pretty quickly if the sun shines....

He is better not to score,he seems to get very angry ,can't be good for him ,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

He is better not to score,he seems to get very angry ,can't be good for him ,

Not as an angry about himself scoring as some folk on the Facebook group mind you. 

dont wanna put anything out there, but Kanayo Megwa (according to transfermarkt, his market value is £42,000...if we really wanted to get a 2nd RB in to cover or start ahead of MacDonald, we probably have to pay double that...surely we have £80-90,000 lying around somewhere under the couch 😂

1 hour ago, boost said:

dont wanna put anything out there, but Kanayo Megwa (according to transfermarkt, his market value is £42,000...if we really wanted to get a 2nd RB in to cover or start ahead of MacDonald, we probably have to pay double that...surely we have £80-90,000 lying around somewhere under the couch 😂

Hibs were asking for silly money from Dundee United 

Just watched the highlights from Saturday, 2 very good goals and an excellent save from the keeper:- The movement for the 2nd goal was sublime - I counted almost 30 passes (with 1 deflection from a QOS defender) in the build up - terrific. 

As much I think Megwa was fantastic for us last season, I’m not sure how much he’d compliment this defences or how many questions he answers? Are we playing 3/4/5 at the back? McDonald and Hancock are the wing back starters, no? So our priority has to be a competent centre half to play beside Wilson (and Watson?..).

All efforts need to be on a centre half to bolster that back 3/4/5. Have seen how playing wide defenders in central positions has hamstrung Raith, and it’s not a track I’d be fussed on going down… and I don’t think Hibs would be too happy with another Championship loan for Megwa either, he proved his worth at this level, now he needs to step up. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at a St Johnstone, Dundee Utd or Motherwell on loan again.

9 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

As much I think Megwa was fantastic for us last season, I’m not sure how much he’d compliment this defences or how many questions he answers? Are we playing 3/4/5 at the back? McDonald and Hancock are the wing back starters, no? So our priority has to be a competent centre half to play beside Wilson (and Watson?..).

All efforts need to be on a centre half to bolster that back 3/4/5. Have seen how playing wide defenders in central positions has hamstrung Raith, and it’s not a track I’d be fussed on going down… and I don’t think Hibs would be too happy with another Championship loan for Megwa either, he proved his worth at this level, now he needs to step up. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at a St Johnstone, Dundee Utd or Motherwell on loan again.

Would Imminent have changed it's meaning,

15 hours ago, boost said:

Hibs would probably let Megwa go for closer to £420,000 than £42,000. Market value for a Scottish youngster is always going to be way off what a club would actually demand. 

11 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Just watched the highlights from Saturday, 2 very good goals and an excellent save from the keeper:- The movement for the 2nd goal was sublime - I counted almost 30 passes (with 1 deflection from a QOS defender) in the build up - terrific. 

watched it too, passed it on the left so much that QOS's concentration went. Wish we played and had a manager like that 

how much for Mcabe  =  Goodwin + ££ ?

39 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

watched it too, passed it on the left so much that QOS's concentration went. Wish we played and had a manager like that 

how much for Mcabe  =  Goodwin + ££ ?

I know your post is slightly tongue kn cheek,   but in all seriousness Rhys is going to be linked with every job available this season, fuelled by tge media,   if neanderthals like McPake and Goodwin screw up(what month)  Rhys will always be mentioned,

I suspect this will be his final season sadly at ourselves,  I was at the 1924 event on Saturday he wants to win the league  (laugh you may),  looking for a squad of 24 ideally,   if this is his swansong he will go down swinging and will have left Airdrie in a far stronger position than  When he was appointed..

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I know your post is slightly tongue kn cheek,   but in all seriousness Rhys is going to be linked with every job available this season, fuelled by tge media,   if neanderthals like McPake and Goodwin screw up(what month)  Rhys will always be mentioned,

I suspect this will be his final season sadly at ourselves,  I was at the 1924 event on Saturday he wants to win the league  (laugh you may),  looking for a squad of 24 ideally,   if this is his swansong he will go down swinging and will have left Airdrie in a far stronger position than  When he was appointed..

The only thing i'd say to all this, is how many Premier league clubs/Supporters would be fully onboard with a team that plays like this as you have to patient enough to take the inevitable mistakes that come with playing out from the back like this.

Support like hearts and ours would be crying for his head after a couple of defeats, screaming " f**k this tippy tappy pish "

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Absolutely, I'm pretty sure that Levein will casualty number 1 though but would expect Rhys to distance himself from that one. McPake at Dunfermline likewise but the chance to replace Goodwin at Dundee Utd would be impossible to turn down.

So all the best to the Arabs this season!