Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

McGrattan and Mochrie have both shown some nice touches in games and remind me of the frustration with Telfer in his early games with us. They just don't get involved enough over 90 mins and have little flashes that hint of something better. Armstrong has the desire they need to show but is very raw. Frizz holding on to the ball and driving forward on Saturday was a highlight for me and the highlights are mostly of Hancock on the ball. Rhys will see things in training and McGrattan starting on Saturday will have surprised a lot of people.

I get the feeling Rhys is still trying to find a way to set up that gets the  best out of his players and if he can get them to gel on the park there is enough talent in the group to climb the table.

said before Saturday, if we lost, we'd be in a relegation battle.  I seen nothing from Saturday there, against the other worst team in the league, that's made me think "we'll be fine".  Unfortunately injuries and suspensions are part of ANY teams league season, so I'm certainly not going to sit here and greet about refs or give it the "if only we had x, y or z available".  I thought there were some green shoots of positivity in patches, but in that middle to front part we're still sorely lacking enough to punish/hurt teams.

I'm not 100% sure we're going to turn a corner anytime soon, and even when players come back, they'll have to integrate back into the team, more reshuffling and players trying to get back up to speed.  I predict a good result against EK to get the more optimistic fans salivating a wee bit again, and then 2 back down to earth defeats from Thistle and Ayr.

Lovely.

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

McGrattan and Mochrie have both shown some nice touches in games and remind me of the frustration with Telfer in his early games with us. They just don't get involved enough over 90 mins and have little flashes that hint of something better. Armstrong has the desire they need to show but is very raw. Frizz holding on to the ball and driving forward on Saturday was a highlight for me and the highlights are mostly of Hancock on the ball. Rhys will see things in training and McGrattan starting on Saturday will have surprised a lot of people.

I get the feeling Rhys is still trying to find a way to set up that gets the  best out of his players and if he can get them to gel on the park there is enough talent in the group to climb the table.

I thought Mochrie was a great signing and expected him to be our "star" player but he's, so far, been a major disappointment despite having a reasonable amount of experience for his age. The talent is clear to see but no use without desire and coming from Dundee Utd I would expect he's also one of our highest earners.

McGrattan, I never had much hope for other than he could be useful when we were short of players. Has some ability but not someone I would want in the trenches! Not for me and a player I expect won't be at this level next season.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

said before Saturday, if we lost, we'd be in a relegation battle.  I seen nothing from Saturday there, against the other worst team in the league, that's made me think "we'll be fine".  Unfortunately injuries and suspensions are part of ANY teams league season, so I'm certainly not going to sit here and greet about refs or give it the "if only we had x, y or z available".  I thought there were some green shoots of positivity in patches, but in that middle to front part we're still sorely lacking enough to punish/hurt teams.

I'm not 100% sure we're going to turn a corner anytime soon, and even when players come back, they'll have to integrate back into the team, more reshuffling and players trying to get back up to speed.  I predict a good result against EK to get the more optimistic fans salivating a wee bit again, and then 2 back down to earth defeats from Thistle and Ayr.

Lovely.

Agree injuries are guaranteed but we have had more than our fair share this season, it certainly doesn't help.

Now that the 1st quarter is almost gone it does look like we will be at the wrong end of the table and I'm looking at Dunfermline & Accies as the sides we need to finish above.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Agree injuries are guaranteed but we have had more than our fair share this season, it certainly doesn't help.

Now that the 1st quarter is almost gone it does look like we will be at the wrong end of the table and I'm looking at Dunfermline & Accies as the sides we need to finish above.

The difference between us and Accies so far seems to be that they consistently pick up extra points here and there in situations we haven’t. You could argue beating Thistle at home and their late equaliser at Raith are similar to our results against Raith and Accies themselves, but they’ve managed to draw at Cappielow while we lost and also narrowly beat Dunfermline while we could only get a point. It’s only a few points difference but that adds up over a full season.