Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I'm really confused as to why Hearts offered Connor Smith a one year contract extension only to send him out on loan again and not have him getting games for the first team. (Perhaps the small development fee if the player moves on).

LJ is another example of this at St Mirren, a player that is probably good enough at our level but isn't going to get much of a sniff trying to break into an SPL side.

I think Connor Smith would be better leaving Hearts and trying to secure a permanent move to a decent Championship team to further his development rather than playing in League 1.

We don't know for certain whether we were in for him or not, but with him being at the Hamilton game on Saturday it does seem very likely that's where he'll end up.

I also think Hamilton are spending a lot of money thinking they are going to go up this season, which is a very risky strategy as the likes of Martin and Tumilty will be on high wages, that level of spending in league 1 surely can't be sustainable for them.

I would definitely rather be in our position just now rather than Hamilton's.

Edited by David Fernández

Connor Smith is a good player,  he scored 5 goals in 15 games last season in a relegated team,  he came to the fore with 2 good performances against a 3 rd place League 1 team(us)..    was he all that performance wise in the championship ( Hamilton fans help) he might have struggled we don't really know...  It is a position that needs upgrading, are we even in for him ,,but so does no2 GK,  LB , CM we have a fortnight to go to get players in , are we confident, we have 3 Loanee slots left,  Devenney will surely go to Palace,  McCabe could be out long term,  all of a sudden we are short in midfield, we have holes all over the squad,  Saturday was wonderful, we are a breath of fresh air, let's keep our feet on the ground and sign what we need, if not the feel good factor will disappear like snow off a dyke..

We don't have to wait till the last minute,  how about signing a couple this week and play them against Ross County to increase our chances of progression..  

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm really confused as to why Hearts offered Connor Smith a one year contract extension only to send him out on loan again and not have him getting games for the first team. (Perhaps the small development fee if the player moves on).

LJ is another example of this at St Mirren, a player that is probably good enough at our level but isn't going to get much of a sniff trying to break into an SPL side.

I think Connor Smith would be better leaving Hearts and trying to secure a permanent move to a decent Championship team to further his development rather than playing in League 1.

We don't know for certain whether we were in for him or not, but with him being at the Hamilton game on Saturday it does seem very likely that's where he'll end up.

I also think Hamilton are spending a lot of money thinking they are going to go up this season, which is a very risky strategy as the likes of Martin and Tumilty will be on high wages, that level of spending in league 1 surely can't be sustainable for them.

I would definitely rather be in our position just now rather than Hamilton's.

I’m sure it’s more likely that no one was willing to pay a fee for him (probably wasn’t that small) and he decided to stay again for another year knowing he’d be loaned out. 

15 hours ago, Passionate said:

Connor Smith is a good player,  he scored 5 goals in 15 games last season in a relegated team,  he came to the fore with 2 good performances against a 3 rd place League 1 team(us)..    was he all that performance wise in the championship ( Hamilton fans help) he might have struggled we don't really know...  It is a position that needs upgrading, are we even in for him ,,but so does no2 GK,  LB , CM we have a fortnight to go to get players in , are we confident, we have 3 Loanee slots left,  Devenney will surely go to Palace,  McCabe could be out long term,  all of a sudden we are short in midfield, we have holes all over the squad,  Saturday was wonderful, we are a breath of fresh air, let's keep our feet on the ground and sign what we need, if not the feel good factor will disappear like snow off a dyke..

We don't have to wait till the last minute,  how about signing a couple this week and play them against Ross County to increase our chances of progression..  

Good point that we could be 2 players down in midfield shortly but Connor Smith is a midfielder, maybe more a Devenny type than McCabe though. 

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Might not be a bad thing though, as the club might get more money out of the prolonged negotiations. 

Maybe but if it’s preventing us from strengthening before the weekend then that isn’t good since Saturdays result could bring us a money spinning tie against one of the ugly sisters.   Time to get the Devenny business done and bring in the new faces if we have them lined up. Cmon Airdrie.. 

Edited by FLDiamond

On 14/08/2023 at 22:20, David Fernández said:

It would be hilarious though if they pip Falkirk to the title.

15 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

“Saturday’s are ALWAYS better when Airdrie win!”

Makes editing on a Sunday, Monday & Tuesday easier too! 💪🏽♦️

Please enjoy & share! 

Enjoyed the clips even including some sensible Thistle fans of a mature level . Never knew so many correct predictions, like mine! 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It would be hilarious though if they pip Falkirk to the title.

I think Hamilton will win it, they don't look like they'll be spectacular but the quality of their defence far exceeds that of Cove, Falkirk, or QOS. That's the biggest indicator of success in that league, I don't think they'll be as dominant as Dunfermline last year but I think it will be a similar outcome with them grinding out wins while everyone else gets involved in high scoring games taking points off each other.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

38 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think Hamilton will win it, they don't look like they'll be spectacular but the quality of their defence far exceeds that of Cove, Falkirk, or QOS. That's the biggest indicator of success in that league, I don't think they'll be as dominant as Dunfermline last year but I think it will be a similar outcome with them grinding out wins while everyone else gets involved in high scoring games taking points off each other.

Fancy Falkirk to win it this year, I’m sure Hamilton will make the playoffs.  The other two I’m unsure of.  I’m just hoping to stay away from that cluster f*** scenario. Hamilton haven’t experienced L1 for a long time, I’m sure they are in for a surprise and the Falkirk fans will be only too happy to share the nightmare of their story over the last 5 years.  No guarantees in that league at all 

On 15/08/2023 at 18:37, FLDiamond said:

Maybe but if it’s preventing us from strengthening before the weekend then that isn’t good since Saturdays result could bring us a money spinning tie against one of the ugly sisters.   Time to get the Devenny business done and bring in the new faces if we have them lined up. Cmon Airdrie.. 

Hard to believe we have come this far and in a good place if we strengthen with 2or3players,but it's resting on Davenny transfer,