Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Great listen cheers. Anyone got a link to the post-match analysis with Richard Gordon etc?

A very enjoyable listen, here ye go...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fvty0p?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Another thing to factor in about how good that win was, and how the performance was not terrible, is that almost all or our squad haven't kicked a ball competitively for at least 3 weeks. Their best player just played in the Champions League final last week, and their domestic based players are right in the middle of their season. That should've been a massive advantage for them.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, but it's bloody elusive on here.

It's exasperating.

You're acting like someone who's said the two teams created a comparable number of chances has claimed we're a blend of Brazil 1970 and Spain 2010.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They had 3 penalty shouts in the game, the weakest of which was given.  The middle one was stonewall as far as I can see.  Porteous was very fortunate not to have already been booked, by the time he was.  Hendrie could easily have been given a straight red earlier on.

We completely rode our luck, then scored twice out of the blue.  It was absolutely fantastic.

Surely the weakest was the first claim ?

for handball ?

I think we need to get used to the fact that under Steve Clark we're quite often going to be seeing hard to watch performances but we should see better results than under previous managers. He's not famed for playing expansive tiki taka football but what he will do is have us organised and effective, which is exactly what we saw against Norway

19 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Super J. volleys it in top left corner

I was worried he was gonna slice it horribly off target. Brilliant decisions from both him and Dykes. 

Edited by accies1874

4 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I think we need to get used to the fact that under Steve Clark we're quite often going to be seeing hard to watch performances but we should see better results than under previous managers. He's not famed for playing expansive tiki taka football but what he will do is have us organised and effective, which is exactly what we saw against Norway

Aside from the very obvious jokes, I don't think the majority of Scotland fans think any different to this. We're a team that's become very difficult to beat and has enough individual quality through the team to win against good teams on our day.

The Spain performance was better than the Norway one but both results were built on being very diffuclt to play against and being incredibly organised and hard-working off the ball and severly limiting the number of chances the opposition can create. That's how we're going to play against good opposition.

I'm fine with that. We're not going to win plaudits from football purists but hopefully we'll have a few more tear-stained Rodri-esque rants about how we don't play the way our opposition want us to play before we get put out of these Euros.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They had 3 penalty shouts in the game, the weakest of which was given.  The middle one was stonewall as far as I can see.  Porteous was very fortunate not to have already been booked, by the time he was.  Hendrie could easily have been given a straight red earlier on.

We completely rode our luck, then scored twice out of the blue.  It was absolutely fantastic.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I genuinely have no idea what the first “penalty shout” was. Haaland had a hold of Hendry’s shirt for the second. The penalty was an example of us being unlucky. 

You definitely can’t be using examples of bookings our players should have got, given we got numerous ridiculous ones while Norway got away with literally everything. 

At least we agree on the fantastic point!

I must admit I was wondering what the first one was???

Please, please tell me you’re not referring to the Porteous “handball”. If you are you don’t know the rules. 

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, but it's bloody elusive on here.

It's exasperating.

Agreed, being objective on here is mainly met with hostility.

We weren't the better team over the course of the game and did ride our luck a bit.

But also defended very well also, and took our chances. Theres positives and negatives in there for the management to assess for sure.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Everybody thinks they're the objective one though, don't they?

I think some people just aren't very good at recognising attempts at humour.

The way I see it, our performance deserved no worse than a draw and if that had been the outcome I'd have been fairly content considering what a tough fixture it was and would still be feeling pretty confident about Georgia. The fact that we nicked a win was a generous little tipping of the scales by the football gods which we should all just accept and enjoy without fretting too much that we may not have decisively earned the "better team" medal overall. A draw here would still have placed us far ahead of most of our expectations for this point in the campaign.

29 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

We weren't the better team over the course of the game and did ride our luck a bit.

But also defended very well also, and took our chances. Theres positives and negatives in there for the management to assess for sure.

I’m not sure where anyone has said we were the better team tbh, and you can really look at the “luck” thing either way - it’s rare in any game that a team doesn’t ride their luck at some point. 

35 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I must admit I was wondering what the first one was???

Please, please tell me you’re not referring to the Porteous “handball”. If you are you don’t know the rules. 

Yes, that's the one.

The type of thing that should never be a penalty of course, but often is these days.  It was certainly worth a shout and a check.  I think the fact that it reared up off his knee was decisive.

I promise you though, that loads of the posters on here would adopt a completely opposite view to that they've taken, if it happened at the other end.  It's amazing that some can't see or accept that.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

10 minutes ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

The way I see it, our performance deserved no worse than a draw and if that had been the outcome I'd have been fairly content considering what a tough fixture it was and would still be feeling pretty confident about Georgia. The fact that we nicked a win was a generous little tipping of the scales by the football gods which we should all just accept and enjoy without fretting too much that we may not have decisively earned the "better team" medal overall. A draw here would still have placed us far ahead of most of our expectations for this point in the campaign.

Even a draw would have represented daylight robbery.

A win was outrageous.