US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

On 19/07/2024 at 10:48, Salvo Montalbano said:

Mark Halperin reporting that Biden is dropping out at the weekend, most likely Sunday. Not resigning the Presidency. Will praise but not endorse Harris. Will say he prefers an open conversation but won't endorse any individual candidate. 

On 19/07/2024 at 11:59, Granny Danger said:

He won’t resign the Presidency because if he does he won’t be able to pardon Hunter, something he will do as soon as the election is over.

You said that with such confidence as well.  That aside, is any pardon by whoever is president now completely unlikely if the Democrats do win the election or could there have been some sort of nod and a wink deal done before he withdrew?

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There is literally no way a non-white, non-male beats Trump.

Obama was very much an anomaly that the Right have not forgiven.

Are there people who would have voted for Biden with the possibility that he might drop dead and Harris would become president but they would not vote for Harris directly?

I suspect Trump has already stitched up the racist vote.

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Isn't Boris Johnson a US citizen and therefore eligible to run for president?

Not anymore, he renounced it when the Yanks wanted capital gains tax off him for selling some big country pile. 

26 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

You said that with such confidence as well.  That aside, is any pardon by whoever is president now completely unlikely if the Democrats do win the election or could there have been some sort of nod and a wink deal done before he withdrew?

And I was right.  He’s not resigned the Presidency, he’s stated he will not stand again.  Two totally different things.

Looks like I had every right to be confident.  :)

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Oh dear, Cheese. I'm afraid I have some news for you. You might want to sit down. 

I can't guess what it is yet.

31 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A coronation of Harris would be stupid imho - it has to be a competition 

Totally disagree.  A coronation is exactly what is required so long as there’s no infighting.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

And I was right.  He’s not resigned the Presidency, he’s stated he will not stand again.  Two totally different things.

Looks like I had every right to be confident.  :)

A response any politician would be proud of Granny 😉 

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A response any politician would be proud of Granny 😉 

Maybe but my original point was he wouldn’t resign because if he did he couldn’t pardon Hunter.  Soon as the election is over he will do regardless of the result.