Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

I agree we are a fickle lot however, look at the bigger picture. We are stop start and inconsistent. We are plus one goal difference after playing Edinburgh and Gretna. Can’t seem to see teams off and win home games. We have too many passengers and a boss that doesn’t seem to inspire carpets. My glass is half full. 

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I don't particularly disagree that we've been poor and it's been a disappointing start, but it's funny how Berwick Rangers fans work. A draw to 3rd place followed by 3 points and it's complete meltdown. Odd bunch.

Fickle indeed, However to put into context, Berwick were 2 - 0 up, at Home at half time. yet managed to snatch a draw out of the jaws of victory.

Then we talk about Gretna2008, 1 - 0, yes a win but, Gretna's previous lost 4-0 to Calednian Braves, and 8 - 0 against Tranent.

If were are supposed to be vying to return to Div 2 Should we not be doing better.

Edited by berwicksfinest

3 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

Fickle indeed, However to put into context, Berwick were 2 - 0 up, at Home at half time. yet managed to snatch a draw out of the jaws of victory.

Then we talk about Gretna2008, 1 - 0, yes a win but, Gretna's previous lost 4-0 to Calednian Braves, and 8 - 0 against Tranent.

If were are supposed to be vying to return to Div 2 Should we not be doing better.

I suppose the key point is in the final line. Unfortunately I don't think we are anymore barring a miracle year. We've spent 3-4 years pissing money and got nowhere, that isn't sustainable and a change upstairs seems to have signalled that. Respectful of everyone's opinions on it, but mine is that anyone who thinks we're getting back up to L2 without some kind of lottery win is only really deluding themselves. We are where we are.

That being said, even if that is the case there are teams like UoS last season, Civil over the the last few, the likes of Cumbernauld and Bo'ness this season who seem to find ways to be competitive and at the right end, in amongst it. There's no reason we can't be doing that and in with those really.

There was a lot of fuss on the FB group about whether or not a 'clearout' may be forced if things weren't going well mid-season before the season started or in the early stages. In honesty, I don't think that'd be anywhere near the kind of disaster it was made out to be if it were to happen. The buck might stop with the manager, but I'm pretty confident you could shift him and get the same exhale-inducers out of frequent offenders.

Judging by the Managers post match interviews he too is pissed off with some of this season's performances. After winning on Saturday he described the 1st half as 'OK' and the 2nd as 'Pedestrian' . By all accounts, that seems spot on and I tend to agree with what he says post-match. (Don't expect our happy clappers to include him in the 'fickle' criticism, any time soon).

But there lies the frustration with him! He signed some really good players, then anchored them to mediocrity with several no-hopers that wouldn't get a look in elsewhere in this League. AND he takes off Barr and Buchanan and brings on Harris and Baker. Does he seriously think that will pep things up? Winning against Stirling Uni, he brought on both Bakers and a fat trialist. *Shakes head in dismay*. No wonder we're fickle.

The frustration comes from being close to having a really good team, but knowing for sure that our own decisions have made it certain that we are not close enough. 

Crowds and sponsorship appear to be holding up quite well, but if they begin to dip I get a strong impression that next year's team will be geared up for the EoSL not the Lowland League. 

Stuffed 5-1 by Brora in the cup - 8th in the Highland League. And our team selection looked about as strong as it can get. 

Malcolm's hopeless excuses and blame game have hit their final brick wall. His motivational and tactical skills are well hidden and surely now, he has to go. 

Absolutely appalling result. Some stalwart fans travelled all that way and adjourned to the pub in disgust, long before the final whistle. Malcolm should seek them out and personally apologise. 

Although it was possibly one of the worst draws we could have got, this is a poor day.

I have had my doubts about Malcom for a while but you are still getting the stick together shite on Facebook. This should be when the board show a bit of mettle and turf him. He really hasn’t got any excuses. They were put on a posh coach had an overnight stay and get battered and bruised by a mid table highland league side. I remember being at Deveronvale a few years back and berating Crease for the disaster that day, he was tossed within days after that one. This should be Malcolm’s final act.

The Facebook site is an absolute joke, and really should be a retail outlet for rosy tinted spectacles.

Reality being another cup hoofed out of and revenue lost, league challenge lost, with no challenge for returning to league status.

Too many sick, lame and lazy drawing a wage for sweet FA

Supporters spending their hard earned making trips to places like Brora thinking, why the hell did I bother ???

Upshot being everyone from the board down has got to take a long hard look as think now, October and what's to look forward to this season, Can Malcolm change things, and time to punt some of the sick, lame, lazy. Or better still let the women take over

2 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

The Facebook site is an absolute joke, and really should be a retail outlet for rosy tinted spectacles.

Reality being another cup hoofed out of and revenue lost, league challenge lost, with no challenge for returning to league status.

Too many sick, lame and lazy drawing a wage for sweet FA

Supporters spending their hard earned making trips to places like Brora thinking, why the hell did I bother ???

Upshot being everyone from the board down has got to take a long hard look as think now, October and what's to look forward to this season, Can Malcolm change things, and time to punt some of the sick, lame, lazy. Or better still let the women take over

Seems we are intending to offload some of our more expensive players. Just a couple of months after they were being lauded for their 'togetherness' and fabulous team spirit.  On the one hand, they need to suck that up after some pish displays, but on the other, why would that change the shite team selections, the tactics, the dreadful substitutions? 

All going pear shaped and as ever, easier to blame the workers than the managers. 

2 hours ago, Redcar said:

Seems we are intending to offload some of our more expensive players. Just a couple of months after they were being lauded for their 'togetherness' and fabulous team spirit.  On the one hand, they need to suck that up after some pish displays, but on the other, why would that change the shite team selections, the tactics, the dreadful substitutions? 

All going pear shaped and as ever, easier to blame the workers than the managers. 

Busted flush are the Berwick Rangers. Overspent now telling players they are free to leave to try and stay afloat. 

2 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

Busted flush are the Berwick Rangers. Overspent now telling players they are free to leave to try and stay afloat. 

Close. 

The Board has just released a long statement, which prematurely rips up the 3-year plan,  (currently half way through the 3rd year). That plan was essentially to heavily invest in players in order to give us the best chance to regain league status. 

Er, it didn't work. Now we have no cup run and zero chance of catching East Kilbride, so those costs need to be cut now rather than next June. If possible several of the highest wage earners will be transferred either on loan, or permanently in January.

This does not include the management team who - commendably - put in a lot of work for a fraction of the wage of some of those players. 

So, all change on the pitch for Berwick Rangers, though it will be a slow and steady process 

It means that it is a pointless argument about whether the blame lies with those players or with the Management team. We'll never know, though my earlier thoughts haven't really changed. 

What has changed (for the 2nd time!) is my resolve to support the club - including the boss - as we move towards another new era where we live within our means, whilst staring hopefully at a lottery ticket. It is what it is and the club needs it's fans. Sponsorship, community involvement and income are on the up but nowhere near enough to offset the big financial loss that will soon be announced. The club needs to cut its losses, but it is financially more than viable. 

I'll be there in the Ducket hoping for the best. 

The following players are available for loan or transfer-

Calum Antell  Goalkeeper – Lives Edinburgh area

Blair Sneddon Left Back  Lives- Falkirk

Alex Harris Centre or Left Midfield- Lives Edinburgh

Michael Travis Centre Back – Lives Fife

Graham Taylor   Right Midfield Lives- Stirling

Liam Buchanan  Forward- Lives Edinburgh

Lewis Baker Forward- Lives Fife

10 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Close. 

The Board has just released a long statement, which prematurely rips up the 3-year plan,  (currently half way through the 3rd year). That plan was essentially to heavily invest in players in order to give us the best chance to regain league status. 

Er, it didn't work. Now we have no cup run and zero chance of catching East Kilbride, so those costs need to be cut now rather than next June. If possible several of the highest wage earners will be transferred either on loan, or permanently in January.

This does not include the management team who - commendably - put in a lot of work for a fraction of the wage of some of those players. 

So, all change on the pitch for Berwick Rangers, though it will be a slow and steady process 

It means that it is a pointless argument about whether the blame lies with those players or with the Management team. We'll never know, though my earlier thoughts haven't really changed. 

What has changed (for the 2nd time!) is my resolve to support the club - including the boss - as we move towards another new era where we live within our means, whilst staring hopefully at a lottery ticket. It is what it is and the club needs it's fans. Sponsorship, community involvement and income are on the up but nowhere near enough to offset the big financial loss that will soon be announced. The club needs to cut its losses, but it is financially more than viable. 

I'll be there in the Ducket hoping for the best. 

It would probably be hard shifting the high wage earners on.