Craig Brown

Sad news, he was suppose to be one of the guest speakers at Ross McGeachie's Testimonial Dinner 2 weeks ago but pulled out through ill health. The rumours going around that night weren't good and this would seem to confirm them as true...although it might be simply that the audience is getting larger.

Gave me my happiest moments of following the national side (until recently) and will always be a legend in my eyes.

He did well for us, and seems a likeable wee chap. Not many of us will be able to say that we had a hand in giving so many people such good memories.

Whatever the condition is, hopefully it's as painless as possible and he can go out feeling satisfied with what he achieved.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

He's the first Scotland manager I can remember. Seems absolutely crazy now that there was such a strong desire to move him on for not qualifying for two tournments in a row.

It was time TBF. The squad needed an overhaul and CB had been clinging to older players.

Probably best for him too. The Vogts shitshow was inevitable, although a better appointment would've been less random about it.

Sorry to hear that. Not trying to do the Limmy bit here, but I had the slightly surreal experience of meeting him on the Aberdeen-Glasgow bus a few years ago before a Scotland game. He chatted to us most of the way down and came across as a lovely guy.

His stories did nothing to dispel his reputation with the ladies.

7 minutes ago, BTFD said:

It was time TBF. The squad needed an overhaul and CB had been clinging to older players.

Probably best for him too. The Vogts shitshow was inevitable, although a better appointment would've been less random about it.

Aye. That's what I remember from the time, just this sense that he'd been in the job too long. It's more just weird to think back to a time when there was such acute dissapointment and anger about not qualifying for two tournments.

I looked back at Euro 2000 qualifying and, unbelivably, we were in pot 1 and ranked 6th in Europe. Above Italy, France, Portugal, Croatia, Yugoslavia, etc.