Craig Brown

I grew up in Zambia, which had as much Scottish football on TV as you'd expect in the late 80s/early 90s. Although I was playing football, I hadn't watched much to that point and when my Grandpa sent over a box of VHS of the whole 1989 U16 World Cup, this 8 year old's obsession was born as I watched the whole tournament (probably 3 months after it finished). The first football team I could recite 1-11 (1-18) was that Scotland team he coached.

Loved everything about that tournament, Scotland, plucky Bahrain, first glimpses of Scottish stadiums I'd come to know well years later, Jim Will, Paul Dickov, Craig Brown. Sad at his loss, but forever thankful for those formative football memories he gave me/us. It's been great to read some of the brilliant stories from others on the thread too.

Rest easy. 

A mate of mine who was a centre back for Hamilton told me when they were playing motherwell when brown was manager.

He was over taking a throw in near the dugout and Craig was out at the edge of his area as they were bringing on a sub. Craig shouts to my mate regarding the sub "I think his pace will give you trouble big man" my mate reply quite sharply to the elderly Craig Brown "I think your pace would give me trouble"

And Craig Brown laughs his head off🤣 Always seemed like a good guy.

On 26/06/2023 at 21:56, Donathan said:

He remained a good family friend with them, and was a visitor to Golspie over the years. Was at the local week and happily chatted away with folk.

Listened to the interview he gave to chick young on sportsound today, yet again throws up questions on the reason behind the Richard Gough snub.

Interesting he said that Murray and Smith asked him why the captain of rangers wasn't selected, and after telling them he said they had no arguement over his reasoning 

His time at Clyde was well before my time but having met him a few times at Broadwood during hospitality, it was clear he is viewed as a club legend. Incredibly polite and pleasant, he took a keen interest in how I got into supporting Clyde.

A real loss in Scottish football. May he rest in peace.