Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

That was excellent. End to end, nervy at times but really enjoyable. We looked very good going forward at times but ropey at the back. Good to show a set of balls after going behind though. From 3-1 down to winning 4-3, a great night.

PAOK will be heavy favourites but we have a punchers chance.

Thought Kent ended up having a good game but his opening 10 minutes is up there with the worst I've seen from a Hearts player.

Just seen the goals back, not sure why Clark is getting stick for the opener tbh. Yeah it's easy to have a dig because it's went through him but it's a great initial save and then it's fired in at him as he's getting back up. He's entitled to expect his defence to try and block the shot.

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Thought Kent ended up having a good game but his opening 10 minutes is up there with the worst I've seen from a Hearts player.

Just seen the goals back, not sure why Clark is getting stick for the opener tbh. Yeah it's easy to have a dig because it's went through him but it's a great initial save and then it's fired in at him as he's getting back up. He's entitled to expect his defence to try and block the shot.

This a lot. I also suspect he was unsighted.

As an aside the camera angles were very limited generally!

A brilliant night. Loved it.

There was honestly no point in the evening when I didn't think we'd go through. Even when they scored.

Rosenborg were shite, and if we hadn't started an unfit Beni in the first game, we'd have turfed them out with more to spare. I'd have been really annoyed to go out to them.

The subs changed our approach and we stopped pressing, which took the mood down a bit. But we'd been using a lot of energy on that approach and had levelled things up, so taking the foot off and maintaining some legs for the possible extra 30 minutes seemed ok to me. Especially as their defence was so bad that we only had to get forward every now and then to be likely to get a winner.

What a great night. I nearly didn't come up for this one. Delighted I did.

Fair play to Hearts for getting the job done. Shows a lot of character to push on and get the winner after losing a goal in the opening 5 minutes or so. Everyone is saying Rosenberg are mince etc. It's a great result and proves Hearts are good team. I think it's fair to say the majority of Scottish football fans far too frequently criticize the Scottish game. This week alone showed we are a better standard than we give ourselves credit.

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

A brilliant night. Loved it.

There was honestly no point in the evening when I didn't think we'd go through. Even when they scored.

Rosenborg were shite, and if we hadn't started an unfit Beni in the first game, we'd have turfed them out with more to spare. I'd have been really annoyed to go out to them.

Couldn’t believe it when Al Lamond was calling it a major scalp at full time. Sure, Rosenborg have a couple of potential stars but are otherwise a very ordinary team - a step up from the one that came to McDiarmid, but nowhere close to the Rosenborg of the late 90s. 

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Couldn’t believe it when Al Lamond was calling it a major scalp at full time. Sure, Rosenborg have a couple of potential stars but are otherwise a very ordinary team - a step up from the one that came to McDiarmid, but nowhere close to the Rosenborg of the late 90s. 

Any win for Scottish teams in European competition is a "major scalp". Scottish teams are usually shit in Europe.

Got to say that they were both good results last night. Not that often that Scottish teams beat higher ranked opposition so to get the double is excellent.

OK, the next games might be a bit too much but who knows?

And I am now shitting it, that we will be the team to let the country down because we have the 'easier' tie. Would be too much to ask or all 3 of us in the group stages but from a purely club angle, it would be better for us if you both were involved in midweek games as well as us. 😃

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I mean, I can see where folk are coming from. Scottish teams generally do poorly in qualifiers and it's a step up on previous efforts in that regard.

Winning a tie against your seeding in Europe is always a good thing, and it is an important win for Hearts. We need a few more of these in the coming years to hopefully get to the point where we'll be seeded if we find ourselves playing in these rounds.

With the long list of Scottish calamities in Europe of losing to all kinds of horrendous sides, I can see why people are excited. Knocking out two Swiss sides and a Norwegian team is better than how things have gone before.

As I said though, Rosenborg were poor. We've lost to worse, though. This is the result we should have had last season against Zurich, and I think would have had if Grant hadn't got sent off. They were better than Rosenbotg, and Hearts played them off the park for most of the game at Tynecastle.

Great result last night and brilliant to see the team dig in and fight for the result.

In my opinion one of the major factors last night was the crowd. It’s definitely the best atmosphere I’ve heard at Tynecastle for ages, even when we went 1 down , as all too often I think a large selection of the support go quiet too easily and don’t always contribute to the “amazing atmosphere reputation “ Tynecastle has.

More of the same please as it’s definitely reflected on the pitch 

The sort of performance that was reminiscent of our 90s and 00s European matches. I feel like we have shaken off the overly pragmatic and cautious European style performances that Neilson preferred. 

Well done Hearts - atmosphere felt much more of a European occasion than the games I watched (albeit on TV) at Tynecastle last season. 

Rosenborg (the current day version of them) is a tie you should be winning, but Scottish clubs too often find a way to make an erse of that.

The Toumba will be tough, but PAOK have dipped a bit after being Greek champions not so long ago, and I think the 3-0 vs Hajduk flattered them.  Decent lead required in the first leg.

.........and Shankland - never rated him that highly and thought he was a wee bit of flat track bully at a certain level. Looks a totally different player these days - very intelligent striker play last night - as stated, maybe due to having a good partner.