Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

5 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Both teams will be happy with 0-0. 

I would be delighted.  I expect we'll get beat home and away.

I just hope we don't really embarrass ourselves.

15 hours ago, DC92 said:

Looking forward to this but not massively optimistic, really. In the last couple of years we've been a team that's generally good at beating worse sides, but is basically no use against better sides. You'd have hoped last year's European experiences could have stood us in good stead, but injuries meant there was too much upheaval to build any sort of confidence or useful rhythm for these types of matches.

Midfield feels like a bit of an issue with Beni and Haring not ready/unavailable and Nieuwenhof not having featured much yet. No shame on him, but I don't think Denholm showed enough last week to start and there were a few moments where he might have cost us. Kind of expecting Sibbick to start in there for his pace and ball-winning abilities, but there isn't much "football" in a Devlin and Sibbick midfield unless Cammy is really on his game. If he wasn't clearly on his way out, I'd actually have liked to see Grant start as he's comfortable on the ball and I think his better performances for us have came in Europe.

I get the feeling it might be a nervy start tomorrow. We need to make it through that period to give ourselves a chance as we definitely can't afford to start like either of the Rosenborg games.

I think Devlin, Rowles, Shankland, Cochrane, McKay and Kingsley will all have learned something from last season’s efforts. I hope so anyway, because it is a higher quality team with better paid higher rated players we are up against.

We have a chance of course, but like you, I am not optimistic.

We're not getting through but we're certainly going to give it a go. I think we really need a Braga away type performance even if we can get a result tonight and that performance was one of a kind.

Edit: technically Bordeaux would count too but I'm thinking of a more see it over the line type.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I, like others, perhaps didn't realise how good a result Braga was 

Anyway, I hope that whomever is manager this week watched some of the Hibs match because whilst they got stuffed, in the first half thier press by the forwards was really good. 

Still feel that central midfield is a problem, and other than Beni pre injury with Devlin in 2021-22, it's been a problem area for a long time. I'd be intrigued to see a Sibbick-Devlin combo, might work well. 

An overused phrase , but the support really needs to be the 12th man tonight and make Tynecastle as intimidating as possible , as it’s going to be a absolute cauldron in the return leg .

Granted , we were as noisy as I’ve heard at Tynecastle for years last week, but we need to make that sound like a wake !

We can do this if we show some self belief as supporters and transfer that to the players on the pitch !

If you’re going tonight and you see any c**t not singing, give them a fucking slap .

ETA Too many defeatist attitudes on here. Cups are all about upsets and whilst PAOK are no giants, we can do this !

Edited by Unleash The Nade

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Granted , we were as noisy as I’ve heard at Tynecastle for years last week, but we need to make that sound like a wake !

Annoying that this never comes across on TV. The atmosphere looked excellent last week...but it was like the BBC would rather we listen to what their commentary team have to say than enjoy the rammy.

I know which I'd rather hear...

If we can replicate our game against Zurich but with a goal or two, we can win this. Need to cut out the brainfarts and shoddy passing from some.

Offiah should be a bonus plus a start for Boyce.

"Do you think they will freeze in the atmosphere tonight?"

Aye because Tynecastle is such an intimidating place, especially for European teams (and especially after Sportscene showed clips of their home ground and the crowd).