Ref watch

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Jamie McCunnie and Sean Murdoch are working their way up the ranks. No idea how long it takes for a ref to get to Premiership level though.

I think that's great that former players are doing it.

I look forward to frothing with rage when they give blatant pro-Pars decisions though...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Jamie McCunnie and Sean Murdoch are working their way up the ranks. No idea how long it takes for a ref to get to Premiership level though.

He was cat3dev in 2020-21, cat3 for two seasons and his twitter now says cat2. So maybe one or two seasons there before cat1 and doing SPFL games.

2 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Don’t suppose there are any up and coming refs , haven’t really noticed anyone new in a while just the usual “old guard” so to speak 

Collum, Beaton, Clancy etc…

I'd have said the opposite last season, most of the referees were inexperienced and there were lots of new guys in the top flight.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think that's great that former players are doing it.

I look forward to frothing with rage when they give blatant pro-Pars decisions though...

I look forward to them being 'randomly' assigned to our games and then making multiple 'mistakes' in our favour....

Are former players a good way to go forward? Depending on interest it may well be the only way to go.

I bring it up as I was at Dundee v Dumbarton last Wednesday and it still greats on me Willie Collums performance(not that he’s ever been a benchmark) just wild that he’s the “gold standard” of Scottish football.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd have said the opposite last season, most of the referees were inexperienced and there were lots of new guys in the top flight.

Only four referees were added to the category one list for last season. 

However the SFA are quite vague about the internal groupings within each category, which dictate how high a referee can go (you need to be category one to referee an SPFL game, but your grouping might restrict you to, say, Leagues One and Two). 

I suspect some were moved up a grouping earlier than expected to make sure there were enough officials for VAR. 

7 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Are former players a good way to go forward? Depending on interest it may well be the only way to go.

I bring it up as I was at Dundee v Dumbarton last Wednesday and it still greats on me Willie Collums performance(not that he’s ever been a benchmark) just wild that he’s the “gold standard” of Scottish football.

Too be fair Collums miles better than John(pigeon chest) Beaton hom or andrew Dallas i have no idea why they are as high up as they are

9 minutes ago, Lifelongdee said:

Too be fair Collums miles better than John(pigeon chest) Beaton hom or andrew Dallas i have no idea why they are as high up as they are

Dallas is purely doing VAR now. No idea how he's managed that! 

I reckon this or next season will be Collum's last, he's been around for years and it's clear to all who see him that he's on the decline

4 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Dallas is purely doing VAR now. No idea how he's managed that! 

I reckon this or next season will be Collum's last, he's been around for years and it's clear to all who see him that he's on the decline

I think Dallas had to retire through injury hence why purely VaR now. 

51 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think Dallas had to retire through injury hence why purely VaR now. 

I had heard something about him being injured and having to quit. I was trying to say that I assumed daddy had arranged his VAR appointment after all its no secret how he got to Cat 1 in the first place

Far, far too much stock in put in to the performance/decisions of officials, rather than teams not taking the blame for players losing their man/missing a chance/committing a foul/misplacing a pass/missing a tackle/fluffing a shot/etc.

It's why we have VAR now.

19 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You wonder why they don't use more recently retired refs to do VAR rather than taking refs out of actually refereeing games. Surely referees would rather be refereeing?

Said this from the start.  No age limit as long as you can see. Get big Wullie Young, Bobby Tait and all the decent ones back! 

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You wonder why they don't use more recently retired refs to do VAR rather than taking refs out of actually refereeing games. Surely referees would rather be refereeing?

There are far too many better quality refs being taken out the game to sit and watch video when there's guys equally or even more competent at making video calls but aren't able any longer ref on the pitch so are not being allowed to do any reffering.  I guess its different in leagues with very high amount of games televised and with FT referess,  its therefore not too bad to have a guy ref on a saturday and VAR on the sunday or vice versa.  But if the refs are only taking on one game a weekend they shouldn't be removed from the most important role to watch the video.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Far, far too much stock in put in to the performance/decisions of officials, rather than teams not taking the blame for players losing their man/missing a chance/committing a foul/misplacing a pass/missing a tackle/fluffing a shot/etc.

It's why we have VAR now.

This, 100%  I can't remember where exactly it happened so can't pull the video but about 25 years ago there's a footage of english epl lino who went toe to toe with a manager( i want to say warnock) at HT over a poor decision.  He went full in 'what about the missed chance,  what about those misplaced passes, what about your guy getting skinned'  I think refs should have more power to ask those questions over being expected to beg for forgiveness or double down over a mistake.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

This, 100%  I can't remember where exactly it happened so can't pull the video but about 25 years ago there's a footage of english epl lino who went toe to toe with a manager( i want to say warnock) at HT over a poor decision.  He went full in 'what about the missed chance,  what about those misplaced passes, what about your guy getting skinned'  I think refs should have more power to ask those questions over being expected to beg for forgiveness or double down over a mistake.

Aye we're on the same page here! I'm all for the pantomime of booing refs and/or linesman and amusing chants and rants towards them during games, but they don't decide games. Folk might say that a wrongly awarded late penalty resulting in defeat was because of the ref, but what about the preceding 89 minutes? Did the ref fail to make chances? Did the ref fail to convert chances? Did the ref's poor defending lead to a goal being conceded? Etc.

I don't doubt there are bad refs and refs who make bad decisions, but it's far too easy to blame them rather than looking inward. As I said earlier, this is why we have bullshit like VAR.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye we're on the same page here! I'm all for the pantomime of booing refs and/or linesman and amusing chants and rants towards them during games, but they don't decide games. Folk might say that a wrongly awarded late penalty resulting in defeat was because of the ref, but what about the preceding 89 minutes? Did the ref fail to make chances? Did the ref fail to convert chances? Did the ref's poor defending lead to a goal being conceded? Etc.

I don't doubt there are bad refs and refs who make bad decisions, but it's far too easy to blame them rather than looking inward. As I said earlier, this is why we have bullshit like VAR.

The one that always makes me laugh is when a player is fractionally offside but it isnt given and goes on to score.

So linesmen are meant to make centimetre precise decisions on the move at speed from 30+ metres away but a defender cant play it safe and stay goal side of his man? Piss off.

Most managers are just blame passing shitebags imo. Sadly its not a trait restricted to football managers.