Pars vs Airdrie - Sat 5th August

Fitting that the two best sides in League One last season start against each other on the opening day of the Championship campaign. Three draws between the sides last year, with the only win being that famous 4-3 comeback victory, where our winning goal was scored by Airdrie’s new number eleven.

Airdrie have had a terrific League Cup campaign being the only side across all of the groups to secure a perfect 12 points, which included notable wins over Dundee and Inverness, so they will be full of confidence ahead of their visit to EEP.

For ourselves, the League Cup campaign didn’t teach us too much, we disposed of lower league sides like Annan and Albion Rovers pretty comfortably, competed fairly well against a mid-table Championship team and then lost to Premiership opposition.

From a Pars point of view, unveiling the flag on the opening day should be a great occasion but I think the mood has most definitely been dampened by the serious injuries to Ritchie-Hosler and Todd (our two most exciting players), as well as an evergrowing frustration over the lack of incoming transfer activity.

Hopefully we can bring in a new player (Wotherspoon?) or two before next week...

4 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Thank you for that reasoned observation. 

I am missing this fixture, however any non-loss scenario appreciated.

Shat it.

Alas, I'm missing it too.

A bit like our games last season, no scoreline would surprise me. We've looked decent in the League Cup but all 4 games were close games with relatively late winners in all of them so not getting carried away.

Todorov went off injured today and McGill has missed the last couple of games so doubts over whether they'll be available. Neither side seems to have changed much in terms of personnel from last season so I doubt there will be too many surprises for either management team in terms of what to expect.

I keep feeling reasonably positive about this game knowing Dunfermline are missing Todd and Ritchie-Hosler, who along with Calum Gallagher were the best players in League One in the second half of last season, until I remember Rae is suspended and McGill and Todorov could be out. If whoever is in goals for us is as fortunate as Murray Johnson was at the end of the first game last season then we might be ok again on Saturday.

Another tight draw wouldn’t surprise me. I suspect with their injuries and squad depth Dunfermline will be a bit stodgier than they were towards the end of last season, when even then they were very tough to break down, just very dangerous going forward. It’ll be nice to play Dunfermline without McCabe and Fordyce (and me as well) being terrified of Todorov coming on to score a crucial goal too. Looking forward to the game though, should be a big crowd from both teams, a good atmosphere and two decent teams.

Really excited to get back to East End next weekend, I’ve not made any of the league cup group games, purely by choice, I actually don’t mind the format but reduced numbers, half finished squads does nothing for me so I just wait for the proper stuff to start.

Being completely honest, I know little about Airdrie’s business this summer apart from the signing of big Toddy and Smith going to Raith. But it looks like they’ve kept most whilst adding. We’re a far weaker team than the one that won league one, at least as it stands although I’d like to think we’re a little stronger by time Saturday comes.

Matty Todd and KRH, arguably two of our most important attacking players that bring a lot of energy are both injured for what is likely to be the first quarter. KRH might get back in October but Matty Todd likely to be November. We’ve signed KRH, Otoo and Fisher on permanent deals, all had loan spells with us last year. And Michael O’Hallaron has joined from StJohnstone but has only featured as a second half sub against Raith before getting injured due to an increase in training. He wasn’t risked through the week and should feature on Saturday when we meet.

In comparison to the team that finished the league campaign in May, Fisher is with us having spent the first half of last season on loan from Dundee before being recalled and as mentioned above O’Hallaron has joined. Mochrie, McGowan, Todorov, McDonald and O’Hara have all left, so realistically we’re weaker, given lack of depth and injuries to two key players.

Away win. Airdrie seem to have had a sounder window (to this point) than us and with our injuries I think we’ll lack that cutting edge. Todorov an absolute stick on to score.

Edited by The Toun Clock

4 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Really excited to get back to East End next weekend, I’ve not made any of the league cup group games, purely by choice, I actually don’t mind the format but reduced numbers, half finished squads does nothing for me so I just wait for the proper stuff to start.

Being completely honest, I know little about Airdrie’s business this summer apart from the signing of big Toddy and Smith going to Raith. But it looks like they’ve kept most whilst adding. We’re a far weaker team than the one that won league one, at least as it stands although I’d like to think we’re a little stronger by time Saturday comes.

Matty Todd and KRH, arguably two of our most important attacking players that bring a lot of energy are both injured for what is likely to be the first quarter. KRH might get back in October but Matty Todd likely to be November. We’ve signed KRH, Otoo and Fisher on permanent deals, all had loan spells with us last year. And Michael O’Hallaron has joined from StJohnstone but has only featured as a second half sub against Raith before getting injured due to an increase in training. He wasn’t risked through the week and should feature on Saturday when we meet.

In comparison to the team that finished the league campaign in May, Fisher is with us having spent the first half of last season on loan from Dundee before being recalled and as mentioned above O’Hallaron has joined. Mochrie, McGowan, Todorov, McDonald and O’Hara have all left, so realistically we’re weaker, given lack of depth and injuries to two key players.

Away win. Airdrie seem to have had a sounder window (to this point) than us and with our injuries I think we’ll lack that cutting edge. Todorov an absolute stick on to score.

That’s almost all of it :lol: 

We signed two young boys on loan from Hibs, Murray Aiken and Josh O’Connor (Garry’s son, if that makes you feel old), who have both shown up well in the cup games and will feature at some point on Saturday. Outwith them it’s been a similar window to Dunfermline, signing up loan players permanently, a few subs moving on and still waiting on a few players to come in too. 

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Close games last season and no real changes to either side , so I'll sit on the fence and say anything could happen.  Will there be cash gate or are we forever online!

There's a ticket office portacabin type thing you can buy a ticket (cash only I believe? If you want to pay by card you can get one in the club shop, or online).

Think Todd and KRH being out has dampened expectations a little although Tod coming in and showing promising signs has been good to see. Can't see us scoring many so will need to be solid again as we were last season. Will be interesting to see how Todarov gets on. Think it'll be a tight game, maybe a 1-1. 

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There's a ticket office portacabin type thing you can buy a ticket (cash only I believe? If you want to pay by card you can get one in the club shop, or online).

Think Todd and KRH being out has dampened expectations a little although Tod coming in and showing promising signs has been good to see. Can't see us scoring many so will need to be solid again as we were last season. Will be interesting to see how Todarov gets on. Think it'll be a tight game, maybe a 1-1. 

Thanks for the information. I always like games at East end Park so I'll be happy with a draw. 

20 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Just a note for any fans coming from outwith Dunfermline - do not drive via Halbeath. There’s major roadworks between the retail park and college for 3 weeks starting today.

Good info, cheers. I usually go over the Kincardine bridge and in that side, should that still be alright?

On 29/07/2023 at 22:54, Parscelona said:

Fitting that the two best sides in League One last season start against each other on the opening day of the Championship campaign. Three draws between the sides last year, with the only win being that famous 4-3 comeback victory, where our winning goal was scored by Airdrie’s new number eleven.

Airdrie have had a terrific League Cup campaign being the only side across all of the groups to secure a perfect 12 points, which included notable wins over Dundee and Inverness, so they will be full of confidence ahead of their visit to EEP.

For ourselves, the League Cup campaign didn’t teach us too much, we disposed of lower league sides like Annan and Albion Rovers pretty comfortably, competed fairly well against a mid-table Championship team and then lost to Premiership opposition.

From a Pars point of view, unveiling the flag on the opening day should be a great occasion but I think the mood has most definitely been dampened by the serious injuries to Ritchie-Hosler and Todd (our two most exciting players), as well as an evergrowing frustration over the lack of incoming transfer activity.

Hopefully we can bring in a new player (Wotherspoon?) or two before next week...

Wotherspoon is going to Canada