The Rangers vs Greenock Morton

ClydeTon

Too early? Ach, first chance to make a match thread in my short time (so far) on here. And I take my chances, unlike our forward line this season, for some reason.

May I start this by saying; "we are totally f**ked", and end by referring to my previous statement. Thank you.

More seriously: it's a third meeting with a Premiership side this season for us, so another test against better* opposition, and, either way, should provide a good bit of money for players and whatnot, in seemingly desperate times. A little bit frustrating meeting the Old Firm again but it's what the club need, so i'll reluctantly act happy with it.

Not expecting anything whatsoever, just a chance to go to Ibrox, outsing the home support, get knocked out the cup, leave, and move on. - Either that or Kirk Broadfoot scores a 99th minute header to seal a famous 3-0 victory for the Ton. I'll leave it to you to decide.

No point analysing the Rangers point of view ahead of this, they won't care.

It looks like this game comes potentially right in the middle of Rangers trying to qualify for the CL. So this probably increases our chances of success, albeit from no chance to virtually no chance. 

Horrible place to visit, but at least we're not losing away to Motherwell again. 

Have to say this is win-win territory for me: good income from the gate money (and maybe TV), plus a free-hit at a team that will have one eye on Champions' League qualification: you can be sure Imrie is happy with the former... and will make a serious effort to get something out of the game, regardless of the odds.

Bring it on.

Well that's payday sorted, then.

Was said in another thread that it's 50/50 split of gate recripts beyond the first 15% (for the home team), so 37.5% for us. Not bad at all if Ibrox is near full, plus however much it is for being on the TV.

Couldn't have really got a better and more timely draw from the money POV.

15 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Not bad at all if Ibrox is near full, plus however much it is for being on the TV.

Couldn't have really got a better and more timely draw from the money POV.

If we lose to Rangers we get £55k + £27k t.v. + share of gate money. Someone here or on Morton forum worked out it would be worth £200k+

• 2 weeks later...

Look....I'm kinda reconciled to the fact we're unlikely to win this tie.

I think I'm guaranteed an 'Imrie inspired' performance from the team...... although I've just heard (if there's any truth to it) .... we may be losing Robbie (Crawford).

Well if this transpires.....give it all for the Ton one last time Robbie.

Was genuinely hoping we’d strengthen and go into this with a fighting chance against a team between big European ties; but with no right-back and Boyd suspended, I just can’t see it.

Think we’ll see Blues at right back, Gillespie, Power, and Crawford as a midfield three, and Muirhead out on the left (which is not ideal defensively).

Wouldn’t be surprised, tho, if Dougie surprises us on this occasion.

You really need pace to have any chance in these games and we unfortunately don’t have anty of it.

Don’t think it’ll be as big a hammering as Celtic, hopefully able to keep it tight for a bit longer than that.