Elgin City v Stranraer

Shortage of match topics on here, so let’s start one!

League opening-day sees us getting one of our long days out with a ‘nice’ summery trip to Borough Briggs.

Looking forward to this one in the way everybody always gets excited about the first game, I.e., before reality sinks in after a few games.

Grounds for a bit of optimism for us after a real grind for the last couple of seasons, but, in spite of everyone’s predictions got a feeling that this will be a toughie on Saturday. Still, it will be sunny eh?

40% chance of rain.

Given how many people are convinced that Elgin will finish bottom (although I think Spartans and maybe Bonnyrigg will challenge for this) it would obviously be a big morale booster for Elgin if they could win on Saturday. Equally if they are to have any chance of challenging for a playoff spot, Stranraer will see this as a must-win game. 

A tale of two different levels of confidence. I imagine there are plenty of Elgin fans a bit nervous about the season while Stranraer fans are buoyed by the last three games of last season and the work Scott Agnew has done over the summer. I think one of the best things you can say about Agnew is he has identified some of the weaknesses in Stranraer. Luke Scullion was a decent enough shotstopper but not really a presence in the goal. Martin McDonald is certainly more of a presence and time will tell how good he is as a goalkeeper.

There was a lack of a left back last season when things did not work out for Sam Ellis. Finn Ecrepont came in on loan but went back to Ayr United during the close season. Cammy Williamson came in and looked good in pre-season until suffering an injury. He came back against Kelty.

The glaring thing last season was the lack of a striker. Scott Robertson, James Hilton, Darryl Duffy, Craig Malcolm, Aaron Brown and Jonny Ngandu all had turns up front to various levels of success. Agnew has brought in Tom Orr and Ben Armour, who have plenty of experience at this level. Deryn Lang has joined from Lanark and time will tell how he handles the step up. 

Team (3-1-4-2): McDonald; Ross, Girvan, Williamson; Gallagher; McIntosh, Dolan, Fleming, Forrest; Orr and Armour. Bench: O'Connor, Robertson, Hughes... and anyone else that fancies being on the bench.

Well I guess the first game of the season should always come with at least a little hope and optimism 2-1 City! The first half of the first game last season was one of the most depressing 45 mins of football I’ve watched - hope and optimism crushed and replaced with stark reality far too early so everything crossed for a bit better this season (45 mins at least anyway!).

Didn’t think there was too much in the game but we didn’t create much. Will take time for a team to gel but would be worried if this was the squad for the season. Have heard there are potentially a couple more players coming in. 

11 hours ago, 1993 said:

Didn’t think there was too much in the game but we didn’t create much. Will take time for a team to gel but would be worried if this was the squad for the season. Have heard there are potentially a couple more players coming in. 

Thought Elgin looked a bit like us last season, lots of hustle and bustle, but no threat up front.

Ultimately the better team won, although their goal came from Elgin giving the ball away near the halfway line and the scorer being in the right place to head the ball in after McHale's save. Elgin played well but I don't think the Stranraer keeper had a direct shot to save. There were no poor players and I agree with 1993 about them needing to gel. Still don't think we'll be bottom. 

As for Stranraer, I felt we were the better team for most of the game and created a few chances in the first half. After the break, Elgin changed their shape and I thought that we did really well to press them back for a while. Last 10, we brought on subs and just ensured the game stayed at 1-0. Very decent first day result, and a good display from James Dolan.

Do Elgin produce a highlights package?

Edited by Clayhole Blue