Hearts Vs Thistle - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

Can argue either way whether Hearts getting through on Thursday is better or worse for us depending on your thoughts on backlash / confidence boost.

First game in a while we'll be heavy underdogs, may help us if the performance at Tannadice in the groups is anything to go by.

However our record against the traditional top flight clubs in Scotland in knockout ties is deplorable, I think I'm right in saying the last time we beat Hearts in a one-off cup tie was 1921, well into double figures of meetings in cups since. Couple of wins in the old league cup group stages but even I'm not sad enough to look back and work out whether those were effectively knockouts.

(if anyone cares, other examples of when we last beat a team in a knockout tie are: Rangers - 1953, Celtic -1971 (not a bad game to do it in tbf) , Aberdeen - 1930, Hibs - 1978, Motherwell- 1926, Dundee Utd- 1960)

Have a bit of the fear about this one after last night. A lot of our players will be knackered so we'll make quite a lot of changes. In theory the squad should be good enough but when you make a lot it never seems to gel as you'd hope.

Edited by Tony Wonder

Massive potential for a Thistle result. I'm glad it didn't go to ET last night as I 

a) Think Rosenborg had more in the tank stamina-wise and would have scored a couple

b) we'd be absolutely shot for Sunday

I hope we use the strength in depth that we have - Sibbick, Hallliday, Vargas, Smith (possibly!!), Forrest, Lowry - all should have the quality to be in a team capable of beating a championship club. However I am not dismissing Partick easily!!

On 19/08/2023 at 11:17, oneteaminglasgow said:

IMG_5110.thumb.jpeg.19a5d0169fa3896691ce8640c9d0bffb.jpeg

I assume we can count on our brothers across the M8 to join in mercilessly abusing assistant referee 2?

Hearts fans will welcome him with open arms.