Seville

Arch Stanton

Been a few times but I've just wandered about randomly stopping for beer and tapas quite a lot, so I can't remember the names. The Alcazar is good for cooling down on a hot day which it could still be in October, loads of shade and fountains. You get sherry bars everywhere that do cold glasses of Fino, dry, refreshing and not a at all like the sickly stuff old ladies drink over here. A day out to Cadiz on the fast train is a nice break from the city bustle, so long as a mega cruise ship hasn't just arrived.

Edited by welshbairn

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Been a few times but I've just wandered about randomly stopping for beer and tapas quite a lot, so I can't remember the names. The Alcazar is good for cooling down on a hot day which it could still be in October, loads of shade and fountains. You get sherry bars everywhere that do cold glasses of Fino, dry, refreshing and not a at all like the sickly stuff old ladies drink over here. A day out to Cadiz on the fast train is a nice break from the city bustle, so long as a mega cruise ship hasn't just arrived.

Cheers, I have been to Cadiz ( a cruise stop 😛) and went on an excursion to Jerez to visit a sherry bodega. 

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Cheers, I have been to Cadiz ( a cruise stop 😛) and went on an excursion to Jerez to visit a sherry bodega. 

You'll probably find plenty to do in Seville for 4 days, but the fast train to Cordoba which only takes 45 minutes is another possibility for a day trip.

It’s been about 10 years since I was last there but from what I remember

La Carbonera (instrumental) or Casa Anselma (more theatrical) for flamenco

Some shops/pubs do still observe siesta so maybe make a plan to be in somewhere like the Alcazar or Catedral in the middle of the day; might be a bit dead otherwise. Getting some bocadillos and a big bottle of Cruzcampo and going for a nap in Parque de Maria Luisa is always a good idea 

Avoid any boozers that have Live NFL/NBA etc posters in the window - a significant portion of the Seville economy involves charging US exchange students exorbitant prices for beer. Calle Betis is full of them. 

Buying a day/week travel pass gets you the bus and the tram, which is handy. Taxis are/were also plentiful and don’t overly bump tourists (American students potentially excepted) although I haven’t been since rideshare became a thing. 

P.S. The reason I mentioned fast trains is that the slow ones, although much cheaper take much longer, and it's not often you get to travel on the surface in comfort at up to nearly 200 mph. 

Edited by welshbairn

Alcazar is worth a visit. Torre del Oro is small but interesting. We also enjoyed Museo Casa de la Ciencia. Stadium tour / match.

Would recommend a day trip to Cordoba by fast train. It has a good archaeology museum - we had a lovely lunch in the bar opposite the entrance.

Second the recommendations for Córdoba, definitely worth a day trip.

If you're in to history the Roman Ruins of Italica is tremendous. 170 public bus from Seville bus station to Santiponce, takes about half an hour, and is free to enter.

Plaza de Espana in Maria Luisa Park is a good way to spend a few hours. They had alfresco Flamenco shows on most days which my wife assures me were as good as the ones you pay €30+ euros for...

Both football stadiums also worth visiting, if there's a match on all the better. Betis were away when we were last there so took in Sevilla v. Valencia, brilliant experience under the floodlights.

Pretty much everywhere is good to eat, but I'd avoid most of the places in the direct vicinity of the Cathedral, for obvious reasons.

Would recommend PETRA at Alfalfa for grilled veal or Restaurante De La O across the river in Triana (loads of decent bars around there too).

Seville is a class city - enjoy!

Edited by yabass

• 1 month later...