St Johnstone vs Dundee FC - 02/09/23

It is really nice how these Dundee fans are so concerned about St Johnstone's fate this year and their concerns on some of our playing staff.

Whilst i am in total agreement with most of the observations they are making I'd not get to confident in yourselves yet as the play of game is still a possibility for you guys! and after yesterday's total collapse against the worst St Johnstone team since the early 1980's. it may be a concern.

I think Macca will possibly not survive the season however it will not be because of poor team performances but you just know he will smack some , Player, club official, reporter or fan in the Puss when he looses it! yesterday he gave the hecklers from behind a fairly get it up you yesterday but he was getting a bit agitated by them before that!

14 hours ago, Center half said:

Oh and still awaiting some answers on "Diddies" and "Out sold the home  support" anyway enjoy you night of feeling superior!   

Believe the away crowd was just over 2,300. Fair old effort and made some good noise. McDiarmid is much better when the away fans are behind the goal. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

As I’ve said before if MacLean had no St Johnstone connection and had came directly from Ross County as a player with no managerial experience would you feel differently?  From what I’ve seen he doesn’t appear ready for managing a Premiership or even Championship team.  From the outside looking in it certainly appears he is trading on the goodwill he had built up as a former St Johnstone player.

We only lost 1 from 6 last season under MacLean, and this season once hes had more than 12 fit senior players available we're unbeaten despite one of the games being away to Celtic.

MacLean might not be up to it but theres a hell of a lot of people just deciding hes not up to it based entirely on him being a rookie manager with some poor results rather than looking into it deeper. He'll be given time to prove it either way, but the team you played yesterday contained a couple of half fit players, kids who only met a few weeks ago, and was missing 2 key attackers who walk into the starting line up when fit.

6 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Believe the away crowd was just over 2,300. Fair old effort and made some good noise. McDiarmid is much better when the away fans are behind the goal. 

Absolutely a decent Dundee support through that was never disputed or questioned! It was the way he said they were heading to out number the home support that i said would be unlikely due to the amount of tickets they could buy ( it was close to sell out so yes great away support ) But still no where near out selling the home support of 3000+ (Yes it is a shitey home support ) ! So was still made up shite in his head. 

Attendance was over 5900 so about 3600 Saints fans.

Good Dundee support, helped make it a decent atmosphere. Would have thought if Dundee needed more tickets, the Ormond Stand would have been made available, so about 4500 in total if required. 

Agree with @Theyellowbox that it’s so much better with away fans behind the goal.

17 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

No idea why he wasn't pulled off at half time tbh.
Absolute pipe.

16 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Rewarding poor performance wont get us anywhere.

I’d just like to highlight this in case anyone missed it.  A classic football gag passed down through the generations. 

Well played @Fife Saint

Spoiler

I may have added the ‘off’ to Derek’s post just for full comedic effect..

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Since you're about the only c**t on here that's witnessed a Dundee trophy win, can you confirm what my great great grandfather once muttered "Dundee were once Dundees biggest club" ?

He’s not the only c¥+t on here to see the Dee win silverware, at the grand old age of 68 I’ve saw the Dees win two trophies, 

plus I’ve saw the Dees relegate both your good selfs and the Durty Arab Bazturds from across  the road 

4 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

He’s not the only c¥+t on here to see the Dee win silverware, at the grand old age of 68 I’ve saw* the Dees win two trophies, 

plus I’ve saw* the Dees relegate both your good selfs and the Durty Arab Bazturds from across  the road 

*seen

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We only lost 1 from 6 last season under MacLean, and this season once hes had more than 12 fit senior players available we're unbeaten despite one of the games being away to Celtic.

MacLean might not be up to it but theres a hell of a lot of people just deciding hes not up to it based entirely on him being a rookie manager with some poor results rather than looking into it deeper. He'll be given time to prove it either way, but the team you played yesterday contained a couple of half fit players, kids who only met a few weeks ago, and was missing 2 key attackers who walk into the starting line up when fit.

Again, do you think MacLean would still receive the same amount of patience if he was and ex Ross County player with no previous involvement with St Johnstone?  

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Again, do you think MacLean would still receive the same amount of patience if he was and ex Ross County player with no previous involvement with St Johnstone?  

Anyone who took charge this season would get patience due to the shitshow the inherited and the restraints they had over recruitment.

Id have given a fresh face more patience than ill give MacLean, as MacLean was part of the coaching stuff who created said shitshow.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone who took charge this season would get patience due to the shitshow the inherited and the restraints they had over recruitment.

Id have given a fresh face more patience than ill give MacLean, as MacLean was part of the coaching stuff who created said shitshow.

Wow.  I genuinely didn’t think that given the state of St Johnstone ( as you describe) you would have accepted a manager with no managerial experience being appointed if he had not been part of the St Johnstone set up.  I would have thought that with no St Johnstone connection you would have been looking for someone with experience.

Each to their own though. 

21 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Do you think Dundee fans would show patience to a manager with no managerial experience and very little professional playing experience? 

It seems odd that Dundee fans think Saints supporters should be unhappy with our novice manager, when they seem delighted with their own. .. Both teams out of the league cup at the group stage, and one win between us in the table.

33 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Wow.  I genuinely didn’t think that given the state of St Johnstone ( as you describe) you would have accepted a manager with no managerial experience being appointed if he had not been part of the St Johnstone set up.  I would have thought that with no St Johnstone connection you would have been looking for someone with experience.

Each to their own though. 

Any manager with managerial experience, that wouldve joined us in the state we were in, wouldve been sone recycled failure.

We've had great success giving managers a chance, and the long term plan seems to always have been MacLean succeeding Davidson, so why not?

Youre pushing this St Johnstone link as if its relevant. We couldve hired a John Kennedy type this Summer and id have given them a chance, certainly more than a few months anyway.

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Do you think Dundee fans would show patience to a manager with no managerial experience and very little professional playing experience? 

It seems odd that Dundee fans think Saints supporters should be unhappy with our novice manager, when they seem delighted with their own. .. Both teams out of the league cup at the group stage, and one win between us in the table.

A couple of things are different.  Both of which I personally think are important.

1) TD has no previous connections with Dundee, therefore there is no unconscious bias with regards to giving him more slack than performances deserve.

2) TD has some considerable assistant managerial experience.  I am generally not a fan of someone being given the top job without being an assistant elsewhere.  Maybe that’s just me though.

Like I say, I think the above two points are important.  Many may not.  Possibly you consider them unimportant and there is nothing wrong with that.  Just opinions either way.  

49 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

A couple of things are different.  Both of which I personally think are important.

1) TD has no previous connections with Dundee, therefore there is no unconscious bias with regards to giving him more slack than performances deserve.

2) TD has some considerable assistant managerial experience.  I am generally not a fan of someone being given the top job without being an assistant elsewhere.  Maybe that’s just me though.

Like I say, I think the above two points are important.  Many may not.  Possibly you consider them unimportant and there is nothing wrong with that.  Just opinions either way.  

Fair enough, but on the flip side Maclean has extensive experience of playing at the top level in Scotland. Not the same as coaching but still relevant experience of how to prepare for big matches, knowing what players are going through, handling pressure etc.

Regardless, good to see two new managers in the league to freshen things up a bit. Looking forward to Doc coming up against McInnes, be quite strange for them both having worked together so long I expect. 

Saints fans and the board are generally very patient with managerial appointments. Even under the darkest days of the Davidson show there were no real outcries, (one half hearted one from the FCU which amounted to knocking over some planters).

Even with Davidson it seemed to be a real split in the in/out camp. 

I think the last time there was real disquiet and protests was Billy Stark? 

Now though we see the dangers of letting a failing manager cling on too long so I wonder if MacLean will get the heave if it's going badly, badly wrong.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Fair enough, but on the flip side Maclean has extensive experience of playing at the top level in Scotland. Not the same as coaching but still relevant experience of how to prepare for big matches, knowing what players are going through, handling pressure etc.

Regardless, good to see two new managers in the league to freshen things up a bit. Looking forward to Doc coming up against McInnes, be quite strange for them both having worked together so long I expect. 

People don’t come onto P&B to read a reasoned discussion and so I’ve given you a greenie and I’m going to leave it there 🤣