Banning Children

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

Parents complaining that it's "not fair" that they're parents and think everybody else who is familiar with the concept of "safe sex" should suffer the little b*****ds with them.

I think this flight thing is a great idea tbh.

As I've said I don't mind children it's the arsehole entitled parents that come out with pish like that. "It's not fair" don't have 3 fucking children then.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Perfectly reasonable if you don’t want to be around kids on a flight and are willing to part with £40.

I think banning children for weddings is atrocious chat though.

As someone who has no interest in having them, I think people who utterly despise children and basically want them expelled from every public area are total oddballs who are guilty of the same "every aspect of society should be tailored to meet the needs of me, the main character of the universe" brand of sociopathy as parents who think the world revolves around their children who can never do wrong.

Weddings though? What's wrong with a couple not wanting children at their wedding? That is genuinely one day in life where it's fine for two people to say this event is about them and what they want, so if their preference is not to have children there then what's the issue?

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

As someone who has no interest in having them, I think people who utterly despise children and basically want them expelled from every public area are total oddballs who are guilty of the same "every aspect of society should be tailored to meet the needs of me, the main character of the universe" brand of sociopathy as parents who think the world revolves around their children who can never do wrong.

Weddings though? What's wrong with a couple not wanting children at their wedding? That is genuinely one day in life where it's fine for two people to say this event is about them and what they want, so if their preference is not to have children there then what's the issue?

Because weddings are a family event and kids are a huge part of the families of people who are attending. Children are highly likely the next step in the lives of the couple who are getting married as well. I’d quite gladly not bring my own children along to a wedding but I think it’s generally bad craic particularly if wedding is in a difficult place to get to.

My cousin got married in middle of nowhere in 2010 and his wife insisted on no kids. His sister had an 18 month old and asked if they could make an exception to bring her along but no such luck so she and her husband had to take turns of watching over the baby and couldn’t get to enjoy the wedding at all. Needless to say the bride allowed a few exceptions from ladies on her side of the invite and the amount of bitterness it all created is incredible and still rages on to this day.

Can anyone who has been to a non child wedding cast their minds back and think if there were any children present because of a bit of favouritism? If yes then was it on the brides side of the invite?

I remember being at one in 2018 when my daughter was 3 months old and we were told it was child free but when we got there could barely move for all the children.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Can anyone who has been to a non child wedding cast their minds back and think if there were any children present because of a bit of favouritism? If yes then was it on the brides side of the invite?

I remember being at one in 2018 when my daughter was 3 months old and we were told it was child free but when we got there could barely move for all the children.

We had a child free wedding and it was child free on both sides.  I think it was more common back then (late 80s) and I never gave it a second thought.  From memory, there were no complaints from guests.  It was a while back but I think it was the two sets of parents who decided it and they were paying so... I was happy enough with whatever was being organised as long as I just had to show up on the day.  

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We had a child free wedding and it was child free on both sides.  I think it was more common back then (late 80s) and I never gave it a second thought.  From memory, there were no complaints from guests.  It was a while back but I think it was the two sets of parents who decided it and they were paying so... I was happy enough with whatever was being organised as long as I just had to show up on the day.  

They probably complained, just not to your face!