Disposable vapes

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Working in a pub the amount of punters/colleagues I see smoking these is ridiculous. Forgetting the environment, they cost a fortune and seem to be as addictive if not worse than cigarettes are, 5 years ago not many people I worked with smoked/vapes and now loads of them do, the vast majority being younger ones and they’re all using disposables except a couple older ones. People on minimum wage spending a tenner every other day on a vape is mental, get them to f**k. 

I think the fact that you can essentially chain smoke a vape leads is what leads to this. It's less effort, less of a finite resource you're using up, and doesn't stink the joint up (well, not as much) compared to the fags. Which then leads to you sitting puffing on it all day long. 

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is nicotine particularly harmful?  It's the addictive part of tobacco but it isn't the one that causes cancer or any of the other diseases associated with it.

It’s a vasoconstrictor so should be avoided if there’s heart or blood pressure issue. The more worrying bit in the disposables is the liquid’s all made in China with zero provenance as to what’s going in it. 

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It’s a vasoconstrictor so should be avoided if there’s heart or blood pressure issue. The more worrying bit in the disposables is the liquid’s all made in China with zero provenance as to what’s going in it. 

Nicotine itself is actually being proven as a protector against Neurodegenerative diseases. Yes it's a vasoconstrictor so if you have blood circulation/heart issues, you should avoid it, but otherwise it's not harmful unless you swallow it directly in pure form. It's the shite that's packed in with cigarettes (100000000x times worse btw than vapes) and to a smaller extent vapes that cause the issues, not Nicotine. 

8 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Nicotine itself is actually being proven as a protector against Neurodegenerative diseases. Yes it's a vasoconstrictor so if you have blood circulation/heart issues, you should avoid it, but otherwise it's not harmful unless you swallow it directly in pure form. It's the shite that's packed in with cigarettes (100000000x times worse btw than vapes) and to a smaller extent vapes that cause the issues, not Nicotine. 

Fun new study suggests men who vape have lower sperm counts…do with that info what you will.

8 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Complete amateur but why are all Vapes sweetie and bakery type flavours ?

Do you not get a Chicken Rogan Josh flavour etc ?

You’d have to DIY the liquid - like mix the flavors into vegetable glycerin and nicotine - yourself, but there’s a company called One on One Flavors makes stuff like bacon and barbecue and dill and onion. I know a guy who made a beef tobacco flavor that he swears isn’t terrible. 

27 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Complete amateur but why are all Vapes sweetie and bakery type flavours ?

Do you not get a Chicken Rogan Josh flavour etc ?

I heard a comedian suggest that the kids flavours should be banned and replaced with something only adults would like, like olive or Stilton.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I heard a comedian suggest that the kids flavours should be banned and replaced with something only adults would like, like olive or Stilton.

My daughter loved olives when she was a child. Waiters in pizza restaurants were always amazed when she wanted olives on her pizza. She hates Stilton though.

On 07/09/2023 at 09:07, ICTChris said:

Is nicotine particularly harmful?  It's the addictive part of tobacco but it isn't the one that causes cancer or any of the other diseases associated with it.

Too much of it can cause nicotine poisoning and displaying the sort of symptoms Derry Ali was talking about. I don't imagine that happening regularly to you is good for you.

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fun new study suggests men who vape have lower sperm counts…do with that info what you will.

Sperm counts have dropped consistently due to varying factors over recent years; doubt it is exclusively to vapes. 

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Too much of it can cause nicotine poisoning and displaying the sort of symptoms Derry Ali was talking about. I don't imagine that happening regularly to you is good for you.

Nicotine poisoning was an effective way of assassinating folk back in the day as Nicotine was hard to detect in autopsies. The chemical compound was easier to gain access to also, just like cyanide; not so much anymore.

For your average punter though, to poison yourself via nicotine you’d have to expose yourself directly to the pure chemical compound, ingest, or smoke a ridiculous amount of cigarettes. I will add though that certain folk are predisposed to sensitivity to nicotine, much like sensitivity to caffeine where it will have exaggerated effects compared to someone who isn’t sensitive. What Derry described wasn’t nicotine poisoning.

Edited by SweeperDee

3 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Sperm counts have dropped consistently due to varying factors over recent years; doubt it is exclusively to vapes. 

Which is why the study suggests it may be related to vapes, with regard to the specific subset of men studied, and an unknown percentage of the reduction (although an amount can be implied).