Oslo watch thread

Donathan

We don't normally have a thread section to discuss matches that Scotland aren't playing in but this evening at the Ulevaal Stadium in Oslo sees Norway host Georgia in one of the most significant non-Scotland matches in terms of how it affects us in the past few decades. Whilst most of us will be focusing on the "friendly" match at Hampden this evening, I'm sure I won't be the only one watching Norway v Georgia on another device.

Scotland will clinch qualification for Euro 2024 if the game ends in a draw. If we do see a winner, that team and Spain will be the only two teams capable of catching us. The loser will be eliminated from the ability to catch us.

The bookies are fairly convinced that Norway will take care of business. Paddy Power price the hosts at 2/9, with the draw at 9/2 and Georgia a massive 12/1.

Norway's danger man needs no introduction. Erling Haaland has scored three times out of their five total goals scored in qualifying so far. Haaland has 25 caps for his country and has scored 24 times, and at the age of just 23, he's got a long career ahead of him and will be desperate to play at major tournaments. Behind him, creative midfielder Martin Odegaard added a lot of goals to his game at Arsenal last season and will be desperate to add to his 2 goals for Norway.

Georgia's main man is Napoli winger Kvicha Kvaratskhelia. The talisman missed the opportunity to add to his 10 international goals when he skied a penalty at Hampden in June, but 10 in 23 is a solid record. They beat Sweden 2-0 at home in 2021 and have won competitive matches at home to Croatia before and of course beaten us twice, but this would probably represent their best ever away win.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Norway will beat them quite easily. 3-0 Norway.

I really do think we'll see the draw here.

Both sides know full well they cannot, whatsoever, afford to lose. And, likewise, they need to win to stand any realistic chance of qualifying.

Pressure is a little less intense for Georgia as they already have a play-off berth through Nations League, and they'll know that even a defeat isn't the end of the world for them.

The two dangermen (+ Ødegaard) can and probably will be the ones to change this game. Norway can either throw caution to the wind, knowing that it's a win or bust, or they can play it safe and try and scrape a 1-0. With their defense, they would be better just trying to get Haaland on the ball as much as possible.

Also, for the first time ever, the stars are aligning over Scotland - and Norway share the same night's sky. The footballing gods will allow us to be first qualified* whilst playing the Auld Enemy.

*Germany don't count.

Nice, was thinking about making a thread on this myself.

I think Norway will win this. Georgia have been garbage in all their games while Norway have been a bit unlucky. Norway's manager, Solbakken said before the Scotland game they had been poorly paid in terms of points for the performances they'd given and having seen their games I agree with him. Norway have better players than Georgia, are at home and their need to win is great than Georgia.

Can't see much of a case for Georgia. They were pointed to as a rising force in the International game, but it's just not been there for me - maybe they haven't shown what they're capable of yet and they'll show it tonight, but I have my doubts. It's a shame in a way we're playing tonight because I'd enjoy watching this game and there's a couple of other good games on (Italy - Ukraine, Sweden - Austria).

Edited by 2426255

Georgia need to find a more disciplined way of playing if they’re to get anything from this. They should have been scudded at home to Norway, they were poor against us, and Lord only knows what they were doing against Spain.

Hoping for a stuffy Georgia performance and maybe an early goal on the break. Norway have zero confidence and the longer it stay deadlock the most desperate they’ll become.

Expecting an easy 3-0.

We could probably keep this thread alive til next month. Beat Spain in October and we qualify, but if we don't win then Norway v Spain on 15th October is the main match. We qualify if Spain win or draw. If Norway win then we then would need to get 2 points from the final two matches.

48 minutes ago, archieduke said:

We could probably keep this thread alive til next month. Beat Spain in October and we qualify, but if we don't win then Norway v Spain on 15th October is the main match. We qualify if Spain win or draw. If Norway win then we then would need to get 2 points from the final two matches.

Think we qualify with even a point in Spain 

7 minutes ago, archieduke said:

Not quite. A point would put us on 16, so if we lose our last two games and Norway win all their other games then they can also finish on 16. 

Those results would also leave Spain on a maximum of 16, and we'd win the group on the head-to-head.