Scotland squad October

Craigieboy

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Jacob Brown gets a hard time from fans on here. He's in a similar same boat as Lewis Ferguson with respect to his position within the squad and game time. 

I think on here anyway it’s more as @accies1874 said, despite being a squad regular, no one has a clue if he’s any good.

He isn’t the only one who gets a few minutes here and there despite constantly being selected. Ferguson and Nisbet are the same. However those two both played domestically and one of them has been doing well for themselves in Serie A for a while, so people have an idea of what type of player they are. Unless you’re a Stoke or Luton fan you’re unlikely to know much about Brown.

Him playing in the Premier League now might boost his profile amongst Scotland fans but it’s too early to say.

His 6 caps are interesting/amusing reading.

5 minutes vs Moldova.

1 minute vs Poland.

3 minutes vs Armenia.

31 minutes vs Ireland.

16 minutes vs Armenia.

11 minutes vs Turkey.

Brown’s played a few times as one of the two behind Carlton Morris for Luton this season and can also play off the right. I wonder if that’s part of Clarke’s thinking, especially with Tierney missing. 

Edited by PSJ.84

I concur in general with what people are saying about fringe players getting rotated in, however I think Ferguson's quality in his position far exceeds Brown's - and he recently captained Bologna. 

Other than the isolated minutes listed above, the only other time I've reallocate clapped eyes on him is in a pre season for Stoke against Hearts and he was anonymous (oddly enough, Shankland scored 2 in the same match!). 

I hope we try 4 at the back this time out if KT is out.

49 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It's particularly unfortunate that we didn't end up with a 6th seed, otherwise we would have been able to give these guys time.

Norway organised friendlies against Jordan and The Faroes, and we went with England and France.  Good reasons no doubt, but it really limits how much rotation you can make.

Even if we qualify next week, through whatever results make it happen, we still need to take points from Georgia and Norway to help our seeding in Germany.  That's another limitation to what Clarke can do with the team (unless we're cantering to a win in either game of course).

There's a chance of 2 friendlies in March, and another 2 in June.  Though they'd be in preparation for the Euros, we could at least play a couple of games that would allow for some changes.

As long as FIFA continue to insist on world ranking being used to determine World Cup qualifying seeding and also insist on friendlies counting towards world ranking, there’s never such thing as a truly meaningless international friendly. You’re always at least playing for ranking points towards the next World Cup qualifying. 

I think your point regarding the lack of a sixth seed is a strong one and also the switch to 12 groups of 4/5 rather than 10 groups of 5/6 doesn’t help either. The nations league largely doing away with friendlies was a good thing but I preferred when every two year period consisted of 6 nations league games for everyone apart from the four finalists, 10 qualifiers, 2 friendlies and either 2 playoff matches or another 2 friendlies.

Now with the smaller groups there’s a much higher chance that the worst team in your group will be a fairly respectable banana skin type outfit like a Georgia or a Luxembourg or a Kazakhstan rather than a San Marino or Andorra or Gibraltar. That further diminishes the chance for rotation. 

38 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I concur in general with what people are saying about fringe players getting rotated in, however I think Ferguson's quality in his position far exceeds Brown's - and he recently captained Bologna. 

Incredible Ferguson has not had more game time , however we were doing !

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Think this confirms that there's been some truth in the Anderson speculation.

Yeah, it's pretty much as expected really.

Apologies , I have messed up the dreaded multi quote again.

Part of what really annoys me about **** Anderson is that he has been in our teams , or just squads , for all our age groups

I'm not sure I've seen Brown play a single game other than highlights and his brief appearances for Scotland. However, he is currently regularly starting games in the English Premier League, having previously been close to an ever-present in the Championship for four seasons. He's only 25 and has a clear upward trajectory in his career so far, so there's obviously something going on with him that makes managers like him.

I'm therefore confused about why he's being singled out here, other than maybe not having ever played in Scotland and therefore having no cheerleaders.

I have yet to see him play for Luton but did see him a few times for Stoke, he is an intelligent player in terms of making runs, holding ball up and running into channels. Much more of a similar player to Adams than a traditional number 9.

Always trying to smash the ball in from distance and sometimes tries to over complicate things but there is a player in there - no issue with him being in the squad.

18 hours ago, Donathan said:

Brown, Shankland and Nisbet fall into this category amongst the forwards but also the likes of Greg Taylor, Ralston, McKenna, Cooper, all the sub goalies 

Whit?

I dont think McKenna's missed a squad he was fit for since his first cap. He's not the same as the others you mention. In fact prior to his season ending injury last year he was close to an automatic pick.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit?

I dont think McKenna's missed a sauad he was fit for since his first cap. He's not the same as the others you mention. In fact prior to his season ending injury last year he was close to an automatic pick.

Cooper definitely doesn’t fall into that category either. When fit he’s in the squad.

6 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Is he being singled out or are folk pointing out he's been in loads of squads and never gets a look in.

I think Jacob Brown gets an unfairly hard time on here and on Twitter and is basically singled out. None of the other strikers have managed to get a look in really either and yet Nisbets place is never questioned like Browns is.

The home game against Moldova two years ago was the last time we started a game with a striker (Nisbet) other than Dykes or Adams unless you want to count McGinn, Christie, Armstrong and before that Ryan Fraser as his competition as they've played that kind of role on occassion even if they aren't really classed as strikers.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think Jacob Brown gets an unfairly hard time on here and on Twitter and is basically singled out. None of the other strikers have managed to get a look in really either and yet Nisbets place is never questioned like Browns is.

I think the home game against Moldova two years ago was the last time we started a game with a striker (Nisbet) other than Dykes or Adams unless you want to count McGinn, Christie, Armstrong and before that Ryan Fraser as his competition as they've played that kind of role even if they aren't really classed as strikers.

I was actually wondering today about the last time we didn't start at least one of them. Think it was Slovakia (A) in 2020 when McBurnie led the line. 

15 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I have yet to see him play for Luton but did see him a few times for Stoke, he is an intelligent player in terms of making runs, holding ball up and running into channels. Much more of a similar player to Adams than a traditional number 9.

Always trying to smash the ball in from distance and sometimes tries to over complicate things but there is a player in there - no issue with him being in the squad.

Saw him play twice for Stoke last season, and I thought he was very very good. Physical, strong and quick. He run the channels well but also held the ball in. I've posted it elsewhere, but for me he's a more mobile option for Clarke to replace Dykes. At the moment, if Dykes gets injured he doesn't have a like for like replacement if Brown is not in the squad. In his Hampden appearances, it's hard to tell how he actually fits in, however in the 2 games I was at when he played, I thought he looked like an asset within the squad.

I never even noticed Brown had joined Luton,not bad can only help us and him the more he plays 

Its our weakest area in our team up front were we haven't really got a difference maker to rely on scoring regular goals 

What is good though is how others chip in with goals especially the midfield 

Barnes in behind if we can get him would make us a stronger goal scoring threat

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The home game against Moldova two years ago was the last time we started a game with a striker (Nisbet) other than Dykes or Adams unless you want to count McGinn, Christie, Armstrong and before that Ryan Fraser as his competition as they've played that kind of role on occassion even if they aren't really classed as strikers.

There have been a few of those fourth choice strikers who have been plucked from the English championship and consistently been given ten minutes to impress.   Craig Mackail-Smith, that big fella who ended up getting a few useful goals, etc. 

The trouble is they quite often come on to hurry defenders or to waste time, and never get a chance to impress, nor the benefit of starting games.