Scotland squad October

Craigieboy

On 13/09/2023 at 07:26, Kadouken_ said:

Anyway, Doak is simply a must.

1. We need to get our best young talent involved as quickly as possible, especially one who looks potentially world class.
2. Get him away from fucking Scot Gemmill playing him upfront on his own and launching long balls into him with 7 defenders in a starting 11.

This.

If Anderson is out, then I think Doak could be in as the "one for the future" spot in the squad. I think this squad was a bit bigger than previous ones (?) so depends if Clarke keeps it at the same size or not. Suspect he might cos one of the matches is a friendly (although he didn't rotate at all for the England match)

2 hours ago, BigTidy said:

If Anderson is out, then I think Doak could be in as the "one for the future" spot in the squad. I think this squad was a bit bigger than previous ones (?) so depends if Clarke keeps it at the same size or not. Suspect he might cos one of the matches is a friendly (although he didn't rotate at all for the England match)

Was that a mistake , P@Bers ?

About a month ago Craig Gordon was hoping to return for Hearts in October. Not sure exactly when in October he means and if that's still on track but maybe you'd think the next break comes too soon for him. Maybe the November window will mark Gordon's return to the squad but I don't think he starts over Gunn right now.

Not sure what Grant Hanley's injury status if but if fit, I'd bring him back in. If nothing else he'd be a good dressing room mentor for Hendry and Porteous, but I'm not convinced he still isn't our best CCB option particularly against teams with world class centre forwards. Kane gave Hendry/Porteous nightmares on Tuesday night and Haaland got some change out of them in June and we were possibly lucky to escape with only 1 goal conceded from the spot. Maybe a fit Grant Hanley starts at CCB and Hendry and Porteous can compete for the RCB slot.

Ross Stewart on the verge of returning for Sunderland having been out with an achilles since January. Again probably too soon for him but if he starts banging in the goals again, he probably gets in the squad ahead of Shankland or Nisbet.

Doak could well get a call up this time as well.

Maybe even Harvey Barnes if the rumours of him having a rethink are true.

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

About a month ago Craig Gordon was hoping to return for Hearts in October. Not sure exactly when in October he means and if that's still on track but maybe you'd think the next break comes too soon for him. Maybe the November window will mark Gordon's return to the squad but I don't think he starts over Gunn right now.

Not sure what Grant Hanley's injury status if but if fit, I'd bring him back in. If nothing else he'd be a good dressing room mentor for Hendry and Porteous, but I'm not convinced he still isn't our best CCB option particularly against teams with world class centre forwards. Kane gave Hendry/Porteous nightmares on Tuesday night and Haaland got some change out of them in June and we were possibly lucky to escape with only 1 goal conceded from the spot. Maybe a fit Grant Hanley starts at CCB and Hendry and Porteous can compete for the RCB slot.

Ross Stewart on the verge of returning for Sunderland having been out with an achilles since January. Again probably too soon for him but if he starts banging in the goals again, he probably gets in the squad ahead of Shankland or Nisbet.

Ross Stewart plays for Southampton

21 hours ago, Donathan said:

Most definitely get Grant Hanley back in the squad, if fit of course, his experience will be invaluable for the four remaining games IMHO. I'd be looking to start him if possible in those games as well

I would love to see a fearless Doak running at the Spain defence. It is exactly what we will need in that type of game where you are likely to be pinned in but will likely have loads of space to run into and breaking the lines will cause chaos.

If it is good enough for Spain (the parallel with Yamal is pretty obvious although he is even younger) it is good enough for us.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.c6bb96755726616304ed5d36c7dac84d.png

With the squad due to be announced next week, here's an overview of how the players have been getting on at club level since the last International break.

The obvious concern is with Kieran Tierney being injured at the weekend, while a potential replacement in Nottingham Forest defender Scott McKenna who has been missing in action for the past two weeks - not sure if he's injured or not. Ryan Jack apparently picked up an injury at the weekend, but all in all the squad is in a good place in terms of minutes played, percentage of available minutes and in terms of injury.

Edited by 2426255

I would expect to see Cooper come back in and Anderson drop out, and there's a chance that Tierney and Jack will be called up despite their injuries. Shankland the other one most likely to drop out. I also wouldn't be massively shocked to see Doak get called up for this camp, or Jacob Brown might get a recall.